“A night away with friends”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Coventry, United Kingdom
“A night away with friends”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Booked this hotel, on Friday of last week for stay on Sunday 22nd June , we were very pleased with rooms , evening meal was very nice and well presented . The breakfast the next morning had a good choice , and service by a very nice lady ( can't remember her name) who was most obliging and brought some fresh Danish pastries to the table.

My friend and I went to spa on the Sunday evening ( men watched the footsie!)
Steve was very helpful and extremely pleasant

Room Tip: I found it easier to call hotel, as I wanted rooms next to each other , receptionist very pleasant
1 Thank Christmass2013
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback, it is fantastic to learn that you enjoyed your visit. We sincerely hope that you will all be back to see us again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a room one week before arrival at this dog friendly hotel, arrived after 2 hr drive to find that dog are only allowed in the room not reception, bar or restaurant as advised on the phone by Emma, looked at the room which required us to go through a wedged open fire door, to find the "better" hotel room which was "shabby " with a plastic bag over the smoke detector (I assume to stop it going off from smoke!)cleaners obviously didn't look upwards.
Staff was less than helpful, expensive hotel that is tired and no we won't contact Daniel the GM directly who wouldn't talk to us when we were there, walked away would stay at all

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ian H
I am sorry that we you did not stay with us and that we could not meet your expectations. I am still confused as to how this confusion started as we do not and never have allowed dogs in public areas where others are eating and relaxing, this I believe is normal industry practice.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was visiting this hotel for an early anniversary get away on one of the rare time me and my partner get time off together. Was expecting good things as it was supposed to be a 4 star and had all the spa facilities.

The first thing that disappointed me was the noise. We slept in 220 and i usually sleep like a log, but i was awake every hour with noise from outside, noise in the bathroom, and vibrations and rattling of pipes. To the extent of being shocked out of my sleep to wonder what the heck was that. Not the greatest thing to experience at night, let alone at least every couple of hours.

Thought i would share my concerns with the receptionist upon checking out who's reaction was ok i will pass it on. No sympathy no apologises no nothing. Not like you go to a hotel to get some sleep hey?

Oh and there were loads of creepy crawlies in the room too, spiders moths etc you name it we seen one in the room, luckily I'm not too fussed about them so putting up with them was do able.

Anyway we had our spa treatments after checking out because there was no availability the day we got there, the massage was ok. If you like being lightly rubbed its defo one to go for. Then i also had a manicure and pedicure. I was really happy with the results, except within an hour of the 2 hour car journey home one nail was completely clear of polish. They didn't even last an hour, what a waste of money. Last longer when i do them myself. So disappointed with the standard of treatments that we paid quite a bit for.

What made it not a complete waste was the food, that was amazing. So if your not bothered about sleep or bad treatments but want good food come to this hotel.

Just wish they would of taken our complaint seriously. For the money you pay you definitely can get better accommodation elsewhere.

Sad times.

Room Tip: not 220 whatever you. insects noise galore
2 Thank TiaEdwards
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit, we do take our customers feedback very seriously and I am disappointed that we did not react properly to your comments immediately. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your issues further so that we can work to improve your lasting impression of us. Please contact me directly at the hotel so that I can assist you directly.

Daniel Graham
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here on a deal for one night and, overall, can rate it as an average stay. The room was up and down a range of stairs and, despite extensive refurbishment, I couldn't see any obvious sign of any renovations suitable for disabled guests, so check if you have particular needs when booking.
The room itself was large, with a very good sized bed and decent bathroom. I was particulalrly pleased to note that the range of toiletries included separate shampoo and conditioner, which seems to be a rarity these days.
We had a tapas plate in the evening, and this was tasty and fairly substantial. The bar has a decent wine list, but the atmosphere itself is fairly souless. As the hotel seems to cater for conference groups I imagine that they create their own entertainment, and that the spa gets well used......as it was a fair trek from the bedroom and a walk through the bar, we didn't bother with this facility.
Breakfast was standard buffet fare, but you can order porridge, kippers and other items off the menu, and, in hindsight, we wished we had done this.
One area of concern, given that there is extensive building work adjacent to the hotel - there seems to be a housing development taking place - is that the access path around the back is overgrown and blocked by building materials. There was a fire alarm drill while we were staying and, whilst I'm sure the blockage has been moved by now, this could have been problematic, particulalrly for elderly guests.

Room Tip: Check with the hotel if wheelchair access is required or you have problems with stairs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathryn W
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your detailed review. I appreciate you letting us know about the builders partially blocking the exit route, this was dealt with as soon as you pointed it out during your visit. We have rooms with direct disabled access and facilities. We do not provide entertainment, I am sorry if this was your expectation.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Below are sections from a genuine e-mail I sent to our wedding co ordinator Charlotte who I still cant thank enough for all her hard work and efforts to make our big day so special:-

"I would like to thank you, and all of your staff who worked at, or contributed to our big day, apart from the weather not being what I had booked the whole day was perfect. As we are both ex industry Vicky as front of house and myself as a retired chef we both had big expectations, which I can happily say were for filled. The service was good, and the food was bang on the money (I had a number of people comment that it was the best wedding food they had ever had) so please forward on my personal thanks to the chefs in question. I would also like to thank everyone who was involved in setting up the room, each of our guests commented on just how perfect it looked with the tables as they were. "

"Finally we would like to thank you personally for all your hard work and dedication to us. The constant contact via email and phone was a real reassurance, and even when I made subtle changes at the last minute nothing seemed to much trouble. Without your organisation and dedication I am certain that we wouldn't have the experience or memories of our big day we do today."

"We have both said we wouldn't hesitate in recommending you, or the hotel to anyone and everyone who is looking for a wedding venue. Many of our guests made specific comments to us saying it's the best venue and wedding experience they have ever had."

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for it's friendly staff, good service and value for money. My wife and I are planning to come back for our first anniversary and hopefully many more after that!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simon W
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this fantastic review. It is so good to learn that we helped make this day so special. We sincerely hope that you will continue to use The Hallmark Gloucester for all your future family events. Thank you again from the entire team.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed here for the weekend for my birthday on the 20th of june we travelled from Bournemouth to do so the room was big and spacious but had no fridge and no fan or air conditioning the windows did not open very far at all I know this was probably a safety thing for children I would think but think you should have a catch to be able open further was like sleeping in a oven was just no air I did call room service for a fan on the friday but they said they were all being used and on the Saturday night they gave us a broken one with no front case on and it didn't work we had a meal in the hotel on the friday which was my birthday and it was not very good at all the chicken I had was very dry the only plus side I could say was the breakfast was good other then that was disappointed with my weekend away for my birthday and on check out the reception lady said did you enjoy your stay I explained my problems and all she said was sorry about that for a four star hotel was really not happy

• Stayed June 2014
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit. I hope you will contact me directly so that we can discuss further. It was a very warm weekend and I regret that this made you uncomfortable and that we failed to help you further.

Daniel Graham
Newport
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here last night 14th June, as a night away as a treat, the hotel is lovely, staff we're welcoming and helpful, rooms were spacious and beautifully decorated. We had the celebration package so we had dinner included small menu but food was amazing! Leisure facilities are also lovely. In the package we had chocolates in our room and a glass of sparkling wine with dinner. Service in the restaurant was efficient. Would recommend to my friends and family and will definately be back well worth the money! Breakfast was also included and beautiful! Well done!

Room Tip: We were in 114 it was a cool room.
2 Thank Rebecca Y
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this fantastic feedback, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we sincerely hope to see you back with us again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
The Edward Hotel
The Edward Hotel
#8 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!