“Not the quality l had thought.”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
somerset,england
“Not the quality l had thought.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Having just returned today from 'my partner' having spent a load of money for a family get-together, Saturday to Monday, 3 rooms all dinner bed and breakfast, (not just a few pence). We were disappointed to find our shower head rail came straight out of the wall when the shower was used, the loo role holder was very loose too. No air con in the room or fan connected in the bathroom.The other 2 rooms seemed to have been ok.
Food very good but waiting staff had no idea what they were delivering to the table, we had 2 members of staff who just stood by the table and looked at us untill we asked what they had. On both nights a wrong meal was delivered and one member had to wait for the right meal to arrive.
On the saturday, we all went to the pool, only to find every bed or chair covered in towls and nobody using the furniture. After about 20 minutes a number of ladies reclaimed to the towls and left the pool, so why were the towels over beds? The towel owners were in the sauna or bubble area, there really should be an area for leaving towels or some person on duty to stop the bagging of beds and not using them.
Saturday night there was a party in The Boardroom, not only is this room next door to bedroom 102 and within noise disturbance of most of the 100 even number rooms, but with no aircon in the party room the ladies had all the windows open and at one point were standing up high in the open windows making a considerable amount of noise. On a saturday night at 12.15 we had to ring reception and ask them to do something about the noise, not accepable .... why does a hotel have rooms used for parties NEXT to bedrooms. So out of order.
This was a nice break away with the family, but it could have been amazing. It is a well placed Hotel for both Gloucester, visits to Slimbridge and Cotswold area activities. The food is good, beds are comfy but the rooms are not the star rating it has been given. A bit more work on staff training and room quality might make the differance.

Room Tip: Family rooms are a good size but down stairs and no lifts. Rooms 102 and all 100 even number rooms m...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank witchy446305
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your helpful comments. I regret that we did not reach expectations in all areas of your visit but am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit. We are rated as a four star hotel by the AA, the only nationally recognized governing body. Following last months unannounced audit I am pleased to say that we again scored comfortably in the four star bracket.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My boyfriend bought me a weekend package to celebrate my birthday. On arrival I was a bit taken back due to the building works going on next door and how we had to wait to use the driveway into the hotel. When we got into reception we were checked in straight away and the receptionist explained everything to us and asked if we had a preferable time for our meal which was nice.

The room itself was lovely - on the ground floor but as the windows only opened a certain amount we left them open the whole time and all was well. The bed was big and really comfy and whilst we didn't use the TV much it was nice to have a new flatscreen on the wall. The wifi also worked really well from our room.

Other good points include the excellent restaurant service! The staff were so efficient and quick. However maybe a little too quick... could have done with a couple of minutes between courses to actually digest the food! But the food was lovely and really hot so that kept me happy!

Onto the spa, the whole reason my boyfriend chose it for me. On the way downstairs I already felt a little disappointed at the carpet turning up and the dirt, and the changing rooms being so old and probably worse than my local leisure centre. The reception was nice though. The pool area was rather dated and the mould in between the tiles really should be cleaned!! Also the 'spa bath' was not warm at all! Only other criticism was there is only one set of steps into and out of the pool, which made me bang my knees, and it was rather annoying to have to walk all the way back around to get to our chairs. The treatments we paid a lot of money for were rather rushed and this upset me, the spa therapists were lovely but kept moaning apart from one of them, about how they were 2 staff down, fully booked, low paid etc. Whilst I can appreciate people get busy and stressed, I didn't like that my timings were cut down, my manicure was done so hastily I would have been better doing it myself, and that I felt that I should try and speed up the process or cancel an appointment to give them a break. Whilst away its not my job to feel bad for those working - I just wanted to relax! I would have made a complaint at the time but the queue for the reception desk was huge so I moved on.

I'm not sure I'd go back again, but I'd stop off for dinner!

2 Thank Ilovefood186258
Thank you for the even handed and constructive review. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied and appreciate you taking the time to let us know where we can improve.

I hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the near future.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Booked this hotel, on Friday of last week for stay on Sunday 22nd June , we were very pleased with rooms , evening meal was very nice and well presented . The breakfast the next morning had a good choice , and service by a very nice lady ( can't remember her name) who was most obliging and brought some fresh Danish pastries to the table.

My friend and I went to spa on the Sunday evening ( men watched the footsie!)
Steve was very helpful and extremely pleasant

Room Tip: I found it easier to call hotel, as I wanted rooms next to each other , receptionist very pleasant
1 Thank Christmass2013
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback, it is fantastic to learn that you enjoyed your visit. We sincerely hope that you will all be back to see us again very soon.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a room one week before arrival at this dog friendly hotel, arrived after 2 hr drive to find that dog are only allowed in the room not reception, bar or restaurant as advised on the phone by Emma, looked at the room which required us to go through a wedged open fire door, to find the "better" hotel room which was "shabby " with a plastic bag over the smoke detector (I assume to stop it going off from smoke!)cleaners obviously didn't look upwards.
Staff was less than helpful, expensive hotel that is tired and no we won't contact Daniel the GM directly who wouldn't talk to us when we were there, walked away would stay at all

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ian H
I am sorry that we you did not stay with us and that we could not meet your expectations. I am still confused as to how this confusion started as we do not and never have allowed dogs in public areas where others are eating and relaxing, this I believe is normal industry practice.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was visiting this hotel for an early anniversary get away on one of the rare time me and my partner get time off together. Was expecting good things as it was supposed to be a 4 star and had all the spa facilities.

The first thing that disappointed me was the noise. We slept in 220 and i usually sleep like a log, but i was awake every hour with noise from outside, noise in the bathroom, and vibrations and rattling of pipes. To the extent of being shocked out of my sleep to wonder what the heck was that. Not the greatest thing to experience at night, let alone at least every couple of hours.

Thought i would share my concerns with the receptionist upon checking out who's reaction was ok i will pass it on. No sympathy no apologises no nothing. Not like you go to a hotel to get some sleep hey?

Oh and there were loads of creepy crawlies in the room too, spiders moths etc you name it we seen one in the room, luckily I'm not too fussed about them so putting up with them was do able.

Anyway we had our spa treatments after checking out because there was no availability the day we got there, the massage was ok. If you like being lightly rubbed its defo one to go for. Then i also had a manicure and pedicure. I was really happy with the results, except within an hour of the 2 hour car journey home one nail was completely clear of polish. They didn't even last an hour, what a waste of money. Last longer when i do them myself. So disappointed with the standard of treatments that we paid quite a bit for.

What made it not a complete waste was the food, that was amazing. So if your not bothered about sleep or bad treatments but want good food come to this hotel.

Just wish they would of taken our complaint seriously. For the money you pay you definitely can get better accommodation elsewhere.

Sad times.

Room Tip: not 220 whatever you. insects noise galore
2 Thank TiaEdwards
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit, we do take our customers feedback very seriously and I am disappointed that we did not react properly to your comments immediately. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your issues further so that we can work to improve your lasting impression of us. Please contact me directly at the hotel so that I can assist you directly.

Daniel Graham
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here on a deal for one night and, overall, can rate it as an average stay. The room was up and down a range of stairs and, despite extensive refurbishment, I couldn't see any obvious sign of any renovations suitable for disabled guests, so check if you have particular needs when booking.
The room itself was large, with a very good sized bed and decent bathroom. I was particulalrly pleased to note that the range of toiletries included separate shampoo and conditioner, which seems to be a rarity these days.
We had a tapas plate in the evening, and this was tasty and fairly substantial. The bar has a decent wine list, but the atmosphere itself is fairly souless. As the hotel seems to cater for conference groups I imagine that they create their own entertainment, and that the spa gets well used......as it was a fair trek from the bedroom and a walk through the bar, we didn't bother with this facility.
Breakfast was standard buffet fare, but you can order porridge, kippers and other items off the menu, and, in hindsight, we wished we had done this.
One area of concern, given that there is extensive building work adjacent to the hotel - there seems to be a housing development taking place - is that the access path around the back is overgrown and blocked by building materials. There was a fire alarm drill while we were staying and, whilst I'm sure the blockage has been moved by now, this could have been problematic, particulalrly for elderly guests.

Room Tip: Check with the hotel if wheelchair access is required or you have problems with stairs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathryn W
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your detailed review. I appreciate you letting us know about the builders partially blocking the exit route, this was dealt with as soon as you pointed it out during your visit. We have rooms with direct disabled access and facilities. We do not provide entertainment, I am sorry if this was your expectation.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Below are sections from a genuine e-mail I sent to our wedding co ordinator Charlotte who I still cant thank enough for all her hard work and efforts to make our big day so special:-

"I would like to thank you, and all of your staff who worked at, or contributed to our big day, apart from the weather not being what I had booked the whole day was perfect. As we are both ex industry Vicky as front of house and myself as a retired chef we both had big expectations, which I can happily say were for filled. The service was good, and the food was bang on the money (I had a number of people comment that it was the best wedding food they had ever had) so please forward on my personal thanks to the chefs in question. I would also like to thank everyone who was involved in setting up the room, each of our guests commented on just how perfect it looked with the tables as they were. "

"Finally we would like to thank you personally for all your hard work and dedication to us. The constant contact via email and phone was a real reassurance, and even when I made subtle changes at the last minute nothing seemed to much trouble. Without your organisation and dedication I am certain that we wouldn't have the experience or memories of our big day we do today."

"We have both said we wouldn't hesitate in recommending you, or the hotel to anyone and everyone who is looking for a wedding venue. Many of our guests made specific comments to us saying it's the best venue and wedding experience they have ever had."

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for it's friendly staff, good service and value for money. My wife and I are planning to come back for our first anniversary and hopefully many more after that!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simon W
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this fantastic review. It is so good to learn that we helped make this day so special. We sincerely hope that you will continue to use The Hallmark Gloucester for all your future family events. Thank you again from the entire team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
The Edward Hotel
The Edward Hotel
#8 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!