“weekend break”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
hertfordshire, england
“weekend break”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

we booked this hotel through a KGB deal, i had read several reviews and went with an open mind.
this was a weekend break to get away from it all we arrived on sunday
as in previous reports there is a building site next door we did really notice as the work was closed for the weekend!
check in was good, staff very polite and helpful. we had a room on the ground floor away from the reception area, it was clean comfortable and quite.
The bathroom was provided with bottles of shampoo, shower gel, soap etc which was a pleasant surprise after staying in other hotels ware you get nothing!
we ate in the restaurant in the evening and breakfast in the morning, the evening meal was nice and tasty, the breakfast was buffet style and plentiful, albeit a fry up!
I would like to thank the staff for making our stay enjoyable, you can't please some people all of the time!
I could find fault and nit pick, all in all it was a nice stay.

Room Tip: although we stayed on a sunday evening when the building site was closed, what is it like staying du...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vic_mcd
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your generous review, I am pleased you seemed to enjoy your stay and hope you will be back with us soon. The building works next door are working hard with us to ensure our guests are not affected.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Shoreham by Sea
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here for one night in July. My first impression of the hotel was that it needs updating and modernizing. There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with this place, it just looks a bit tired. Importantly though, the reception area, restaurant and my room were all clean and tidy.
Staff were all pleasant so that was all good.
My bedroom was fine, but blankets on the bed! Aaargh! I loathe blankets and this is the first hotel I’ve come across in many years that has not upgraded to duvets. Like I said, it needs modernizing.

I liked the leisure club. The gym was ok. But really, the entrance! You walk up a slope toward the sign for the Leisure Club and the first thing that greets you are toilets and the smell of lemon chemicals emanating from them. Then you search around for the stairs to the club (poorly signed) and eventually you find your way in. Who designed this entrance? It really is the worst first impression I’ve known for a long time and must be changed. If I was the hotel owner this would be a priority as many customers come here for the Leisure Club and Spa.

So come here for a night and you’ll be fine. Prices are ok. Not cheap, but not the most expensive either. Hence the 3 stars.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Teamtango
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your detailed review, it is a shame that we could not have reached your expectation in all areas, although we are not currently planning to address the lay out of the hotel, we do have duvet's on request and if you choose to return, let us know and we will be happy to put this in the room for you.
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This stay was a spa retreat as a gift....but what a disappointment! The experience does not live up to website or pictures. Upon arrival hotel is right next to a persimmon homes building site. Arrival at reception at 1am to be told check not until 2pm, so opening our suitcase in middle of reception for swimwear for our appointment why early to then be told in fact room ready. Spa appointment we'd booked appointment time but we're running 10 minutes late but instead having full 30 minutes treatment cut it short by the 10 minutes. I had massage but was not impressed, personal preference maybe but being rubs with elbows and knuckles I don't enjoy or find relaxing! Breakfast is early served only to 9.30am,but shouldn't of worried the builders start hours earlier banging so was certainly awake in time no luxury of lie in. Waited for ages to be let in for breakfast saw was self service so walked in, in the end. But when staff finally appeared were rude to us because we did. The food wasn't great tasted like been left standing too long couldn't eat it. Best part of stay was getting taxi to Gloucester quays so wouldn't recommend or be returning to be honest.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Laura D
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
I apologise for where we erred in regards our service, it is certainly not our standard to let any of our guests leave us feeling disappointed. If guests are late for appointments in the Spa and we are fully booked then I regret that this may result in reduced treatment times.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Booked this through laterooms, and paid £92 for B&B. Hotel felt tired, buried in the middle of a housing estate, with long dimly lit corridors and uninspiring rooms.

The bed was of average comfort, with no mattress protector; and I could hear the noise of the next rooms TV/guest snoring in the night. The radiator was thick with dust!

The bathroom was relatively clean, but the shower control was yellowing and needed a good scrub, and the toilet paper was of poor quality.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank benandglenn
It is disappointing to learn that your experience was not all it should have been, I regret that we did not reach your expectations. The hotel did benefit from a full refurbishment in 2011 and I believe this puts us at the front of the local market. I hope you will still consider returning to Hallmark Hotels in the future.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Whilst travelling with my family we stopped at this hotel and although the local area was misleading, when you actually arrive at the hotel it is idyllic. We were blown away by the interior of the building, very stylish and welcoming. Great team as well, we used all the facilities and were impressed, for the money spent this must be the best value in the South West!!

Definitely going to return

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank J P
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for the great review, it is fantastic to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you back with us again in the very near future.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for one night on 5th July as a surprise for my husband's birthday. As with the other reviews, there is a building site (houses being built) right next door using the same entrance to the car park, however, I have to say this did not have a negative impact on our stay there was no noise or dust! The room was clean including the bathroom nice toiletries too! the bed was very big and comfy, we stayed in room 101 again the windows did not open very much and it was very warm in the room, our view was the car park.

The Spa and Pool, i noticed the pool was very dirty in the corner which put me off, the steam and sauna was very good. The food was superb, the prawn cocktail which replaced another choice not available was average but the main of slow roasted belly pork was quite honestly one of the best meals i have had in a restaurant in a long time and o complimented the chef, dessert was also good. The breakfast in the morning was again excellent, good produce and choice we left in the morning felling very satisfied. We had wine with our meal which was priced at £20 which is average i guess.

We were not impressed with the town. I guess we parked at the back of the town centre, we walked from the car which brought us out by Weatherspoons Pub, avoid this area if you can, i would suggest parking near the Quay which is actually cheaper. It was very very rough, i have never seen so many drugged up people in one area. keep walking past the pub and square and out the other side of the shopping centre to the Quay its like being on another town much nicer and cleaner.

Apart from the restaurant staff and reception staff trying to over charge me twice, the service was good. Yes the entrance to the spa could do with a good clean up but i am a very houseproud person and I would not say that the hotel was awful, the restaurant and rooms were perfectly fine, although the windows are mouldy because they are old and not double glazed! they just need re-sealing.

Would I stay again? probably not but all the same our stay was pleasant enough, I haven't come home thinking it was an awful weekend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emma a
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for the detailed review of your recent visit, I hope that you would still consider us on your next visit on the basis of our rooms service and food rather than on certain local areas.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Hallmark hotel is situated just outside of town out of the way (about £10 in a taxi to town)
Within reasonable reach of the M5

The bar is on the expensive side (£4 a pint) and food is dear for what you get too

There is a great gym and spa/swimming pool available to use which is great!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 343yorkshire
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your balanced feedback, I am surprised you found our offering expensive, we do try to ensure we offer the best value for a four star product in the local area. I hope you will return to visit us again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
Hatherley Manor
Hatherley Manor
#1 of 1 in Down Hatherley

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!