“Not that bad but not brilliant either”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
London, United Kingdom
“Not that bad but not brilliant either”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed here only for one night. From the outside, the hotel did not look great. However, the room which I stayed in was large enough, clean and comfortable. There was reasonable variety for breakfast and the staff who I encountered were pleasant enough. I did not use of of the facilities available as I was on a business trip. Overall, it was an okay hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank AZ_007_131
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I regret we only met your expectations and did not exceed them, hopefully we will do better on your return to us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We were staying to break up a journey to the lakes (and as neither of us had visited Gloucester before)

The hotel itself is really quite nice, We found it to be clean and modern and it would typically be our style of hotel to stay in, However.. the customer service was appalling.

The bar staff could not mix the most basic of drinks and had the bad attitude of somebody who should not be working with the public. It was entertaining listening to them chat though as we now feel like we know the ins and outs of the staff, their drinking habits and their rota problems.

The dinner menu was basic so we decided to eat out.

The was no offer of concierge and non of the touches which you would expect from a 4 star hotel. You could stay in a Travellodge for cheaper and receive the same level of service.

We did try to give our feedback as we left but nobody was available to see us.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ELLIE n JAMES T
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
This is rare feedback for us in regards customer service, this being the aspect that we receive the most positive feedback in. I hope that you will contact me directly so that we can work to improve your lasting impression of us and also get to the root of the service problem.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed here for a night earlier this month for a family wedding. I have to say that the wedding, which took place in the hotel was lovely, well-catered and went off without a hitch!
However...having made a booking for one night online, I was told (rather brusquely) that I would not be entitled to the 10% discount on rooms that had been negotiated for wedding guests. Oh well! Having decided a while back to stay the whole weekend, I had phoned and reserved my room for the next night. At check in, I was informed that there were no double rooms available for the Saturday night, but that they could do me a twin room for 177 pounds.....Considering this a bit much, and still smarting from having lost some group-negotiated discount, I declined.
The room was of a good standard, however, it seemed to be minus any kind of climate control together with windows that opened just a crack. This resulted in a warm night. Pillows were kind of hard too....
The pool area was very pleasant and I was happy to make use of it. The description of it as a 'spa' is perhaps a little optimistic but it is nice enough.
However, given my experience, I probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Suzyinholland
I do hope that you will contact me directly so that I can investigate this issue as without the full details it is hard to comment. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback and we sincerely hope you will change your mind and stay with us again in the future.
hertfordshire, england
Reviewed 15 July 2014

we booked this hotel through a KGB deal, i had read several reviews and went with an open mind.
this was a weekend break to get away from it all we arrived on sunday
as in previous reports there is a building site next door we did really notice as the work was closed for the weekend!
check in was good, staff very polite and helpful. we had a room on the ground floor away from the reception area, it was clean comfortable and quite.
The bathroom was provided with bottles of shampoo, shower gel, soap etc which was a pleasant surprise after staying in other hotels ware you get nothing!
we ate in the restaurant in the evening and breakfast in the morning, the evening meal was nice and tasty, the breakfast was buffet style and plentiful, albeit a fry up!
I would like to thank the staff for making our stay enjoyable, you can't please some people all of the time!
I could find fault and nit pick, all in all it was a nice stay.

Room Tip: although we stayed on a sunday evening when the building site was closed, what is it like staying du...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vic_mcd
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your generous review, I am pleased you seemed to enjoy your stay and hope you will be back with us soon. The building works next door are working hard with us to ensure our guests are not affected.
Shoreham by Sea
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here for one night in July. My first impression of the hotel was that it needs updating and modernizing. There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with this place, it just looks a bit tired. Importantly though, the reception area, restaurant and my room were all clean and tidy.
Staff were all pleasant so that was all good.
My bedroom was fine, but blankets on the bed! Aaargh! I loathe blankets and this is the first hotel I’ve come across in many years that has not upgraded to duvets. Like I said, it needs modernizing.

I liked the leisure club. The gym was ok. But really, the entrance! You walk up a slope toward the sign for the Leisure Club and the first thing that greets you are toilets and the smell of lemon chemicals emanating from them. Then you search around for the stairs to the club (poorly signed) and eventually you find your way in. Who designed this entrance? It really is the worst first impression I’ve known for a long time and must be changed. If I was the hotel owner this would be a priority as many customers come here for the Leisure Club and Spa.

So come here for a night and you’ll be fine. Prices are ok. Not cheap, but not the most expensive either. Hence the 3 stars.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Teamtango
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your detailed review, it is a shame that we could not have reached your expectation in all areas, although we are not currently planning to address the lay out of the hotel, we do have duvet's on request and if you choose to return, let us know and we will be happy to put this in the room for you.
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This stay was a spa retreat as a gift....but what a disappointment! The experience does not live up to website or pictures. Upon arrival hotel is right next to a persimmon homes building site. Arrival at reception at 1am to be told check not until 2pm, so opening our suitcase in middle of reception for swimwear for our appointment why early to then be told in fact room ready. Spa appointment we'd booked appointment time but we're running 10 minutes late but instead having full 30 minutes treatment cut it short by the 10 minutes. I had massage but was not impressed, personal preference maybe but being rubs with elbows and knuckles I don't enjoy or find relaxing! Breakfast is early served only to 9.30am,but shouldn't of worried the builders start hours earlier banging so was certainly awake in time no luxury of lie in. Waited for ages to be let in for breakfast saw was self service so walked in, in the end. But when staff finally appeared were rude to us because we did. The food wasn't great tasted like been left standing too long couldn't eat it. Best part of stay was getting taxi to Gloucester quays so wouldn't recommend or be returning to be honest.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Laura D
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
I apologise for where we erred in regards our service, it is certainly not our standard to let any of our guests leave us feeling disappointed. If guests are late for appointments in the Spa and we are fully booked then I regret that this may result in reduced treatment times.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Booked this through laterooms, and paid £92 for B&B. Hotel felt tired, buried in the middle of a housing estate, with long dimly lit corridors and uninspiring rooms.

The bed was of average comfort, with no mattress protector; and I could hear the noise of the next rooms TV/guest snoring in the night. The radiator was thick with dust!

The bathroom was relatively clean, but the shower control was yellowing and needed a good scrub, and the toilet paper was of poor quality.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank benandglenn
It is disappointing to learn that your experience was not all it should have been, I regret that we did not reach your expectations. The hotel did benefit from a full refurbishment in 2011 and I believe this puts us at the front of the local market. I hope you will still consider returning to Hallmark Hotels in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Down Hatherley
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!