“Hot Hallmark”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Hot Hallmark”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel for business as I was working in the area, overall the hotel was a very pleasant one. I was a little surprised at the location of it as it felt like a long drive through Gloucester and out through an estate to get there. On arrival I was also a rather overwhelmed at what can only be described a building site right beside it, there was a small housing development in the process of being built. This being said it didn't seem to effect my stay in the hotel with the exception of the hotels car park being over ruled with builders motor vehicles. The evening meal I had as room service in my room due to my late arrival was very tasty and fresh. The room was clean and I had no issues with it with one exception, the week of my visit was unfortunately one of the warmest weeks of the year so therefore the room in the evening was like an oven. With no air conditioning unit it made it quite a task to get off to sleep. The only negative thing I would mention about the hotel was the rather unusual lay out, it felt like a bit of a maze with endless identical corridors to get to the room. All round a pleasant stay with tasty good quality food and a friendly service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Thomas D
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for the constructive review. I am surprised that you found the layout confusing as except for the leisure club all corridors and facilities are accessed directly via reception as a central point. We do not provide air conditioning, I am sorry if this was an expectation that we did not meet.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

we stayed here for 1 night in a double and 1 twin rooms the beds was clean and staff was OK, The net curtains was dirty and the windows was moldy and window`s didn't open enough to let any air in the rooms (it was hot weather) the kettle`s was dirty in both rooms wasn't nice couldn't have a drink made with them and no fridge in the rooms for cold drinks. Food was pricey but the breakfast was good.The hotel wasn't in a good location wouldn't stay hear again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
There is no excuse for any shortfall in cleanliness and I apologize that this was your experience. I hope you will contact me directly so that I can investigate further.
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We got a great deal at this hotel so packed up and came over from London to see our family for the weekend. When we read reviews it seem slightly mixed so didn't know how to take it. How wrong was I. On arriving we were checked in 2 hours earlier than the 2pm check in. The kids were very happy, we had a lovely big suite and they had their own room and TV!! They had sofa beds made up in there and we wanted to keep one of the sofas so the duty manager made up another bed for us and we got talking. She told us that the food festival was going on at the Gloucester docks and that it was definitely worth a look, now what was exceptional is that she even gave us her private permit for the docks carpark as she said the normal one was taken over by the bands. I thought this was such an out of her way thing to do and was totally unexpected. You cannot buy that. So thank you very much! -We also had a fantastic time down there, so great suggestion. Once back at the hotel we made full use of the leisure, the kids had great fun. Dinner was also good, breakfast being our favorite with so much choice. We will definitely return on our next visit to the area.

Room Tip: Book the suite
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave us this fantastic feedback, thank you for your great comments, we hope to see you back with us again in the very near future.
Witney
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I have just came back from my hen do and myself and 4 of my friends stayed at the hallmark. Overall the hotel was nice, the spa was clean although very busy. I would say that the jacuzzi wasn't very warm for a jacuzzi but that's my preference and the staff were kind enough to let us drink our drinks sat by the pool. I had a massage which I can't rate highly enough she was fantastic! But whilst the room size and decor were fantastic it's a shame that the view is hindered by a building site which will only get worse when they turn into houses. It was a very hot weekend and our room was baking hot yet the windows could only be opened 4cm tops and with no air con or fans it was unbearable! Especially as all of us found the showers extremely lacklustre! Breakfast was lovely and quick good variety of food and the dinner was amazing best steak I have eaten in ages !

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Srk185
Thank you for the constructive review, it is great to learn that overall you enjoyed your visit and we very much appreciate you taking the time to give us your helpful comments so that we can improve in the future.
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I stayed on the 26th and 27th of July. After reading some of the reviews, I was slightly worried upon arrival. When we arrived I was pleasantly surprised by the look of the hotel, reception was nice and modern. We checked in easy, staff was polite and friendly. We had an evening meal in the restaurant which was fantastic, the starter I had was one of the best things I've ever ate! Three courses for £20 I thought was a pretty good price, especially for the standard of food. We also had a snack in the bar, which was also very good and reasonably priced. I did think drink prices were quite high, but no more than you'd pay at other hotels. We did use the spa facilities which were very nice, slightly dated but that didn't bother me. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars for me was because the room was ridiculously warm, we did tell the staff and they supplied us with a fan, but it was still too warm! That was my only problem with my stay. All the staff was very helpful and polite!

Room Tip: 123 was close to bar and restaurant and near the spa and leisure facilities.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lou-Wealthall
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for the great review, it is fantastic to read that you enjoyed your visit and we hope you will be back to see us again very soon. I am sorry about the hot room, it was a particularly warm weekend and we do not have air conditioning in the hotel.
London
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I just got back from a spa weekend with my sister and cousin and I am very disappointed in the hotel. Firstly there was a £5 charge for the robe hire which I would expect to be complimentary in a spa hotel. Secondly, since there were no local restaurants within walking distance, we decided to have the afternoon tea in the restaurant. This turned out to be a bad idea. Having started eating the finger sandwiches, we discovered that the salmon in one of them was a greenish brown colour in the centre instead of the usual pink. We spoke to the manager about this and she told us that it was completely fine and safe to eat and that she would taste it herself to prove that it had not gone off. To me, service such as this is completely inadequate and unprofessional. We felt sick after discovering the bad salmon and were put off eating the rest of the food. Despite this, the manager would not refund us any of the bill and instead said that she would try and do something for us during dinner. However she managed to successfully avoid us during our dinner in the restaurant and so we were not compensated. The spa facilities were adequate and the pool area was outdated and not completely sanitary. The rim around the jacuzzi appeared to have mould growing in it and the floor around the pool had hair on it. All in all, I feel that the standard of the hotel did not reflect the price paid and I would not recommend it at all.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank sarikaiscool
I am sorry that your recent visit was not up to our usual standards in regards food. I will be looking into this further as I am shocked that a member of our team would serve any food product that they were not completely satisfied with. I hope that you will contact me directly so that I can let you know my findings.

Daniel Graham
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is now our 4th stay with the hallmark Gloucester. Again we have been looked after so well. This time we even had cards and chocolates placed in our room. A very nice touch, Thank you!!!
We now always come back when in the area, and are never disappointed. The rooms are very clean and we are looked after very well. The staff in general always go out of there way to accommodate us and this is why we will again return in September. The food we had was lovely, and this time we even had lunch in the bar which was just as good. Didn't use the spa this time as we went out to bourton- a must see. An extremely beautiful town. Looking forward to coming back

Room Tip: We always stay on the ground floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for this fantastic review, we look forward to your next visit in September and hope that you will continue to use in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Down Hatherley
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!