“Poor room, inexperienced staff”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Unsatisfactory stay. Stained towels, food on the in-room menu and placed in a room facing onto a building site and woken up at 8am. Wifi would not work in communal areas or room. A positively disappointing birthday stay.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathrynersk
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

I was very sorry to receive your comments both on this forum and via email. We have tried to contact you directly and will continue to do so so we can improve your lasting impression of us. I apologise sincerely for the shortfall in standards that you encountered and I assure you that this is not a standard that we consider to be acceptable.

There are newer reviews for Hallmark Hotel Gloucester

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I visit Gloucester a couple of times a year to see family and normally stay with them. However due to a particularly big get together my partner and I choose to stay at the Hallmark.

The hotel is a couple of miles from town with plenty of parking. Both reception and the staff working there were friendly and despite arriving around 1.30 they were kind enough to let us have our room.

As we were out that evening we didn't get to use the restaurant. However the breakfast the next morning was superb. Very busy but the waiting staff were on top everything and we could have done with a snooze after a very good full English.

I have decided I will stay again before Christmas when I bring the presents down and I'm looking forward to trying the spa and afternoon tea.

Thank you to all the team.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank peas50

Thank you for taking the time to leave us his fantastic review, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we hope that you will be back to see us again very soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife and we couldn't find any fault with the place. The staff were only too happy to help, the food was excellent and we had a wonderful nights sleep. It was also great location 10 min from the M5, 10 min from Gloucester and only 20 min from the beautiful town of Cheltenham. Only wish we could have stayed longer...

Stayed: August 2014
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for the great review, we do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and we hope that you will be back to visit us again very soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

On a recent trip to Scotland I broke the journey up by staying at the hallmark for one evening. There wasn't anything I could fault.
The room was comfy and clean, the food was well presented and delicious and the staff couldn't have been more helpful! Would I stay again?! Yes I would!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for leaving us this great feedback, we appreciate you making the effort and hope that you will be back to see us again very soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I really don't know where to start. Upon entering the hotel with multiple bags not only was there no offer of assistance, the receptionist remained in her seat and watched as 3 of us entered. I asked if there was a luggage trolley, I'm afraid not was the response. Is that really an unreasonable expectation? The check in was fairly easy though for some reason my Amex card was declined though it was used later without problem at the bar and in town,which by the way is very far away. The door to the room I was given was left ajar and unlocked when I arrived there. It was simple and appeared tidy but didn't feel particularly clean. The bathroom was clean though in the 4 nights I stayed there the towels and linens were never changed , on the third day I left them on the floor hoping to get new but no they were the same :( The staff weren't surly or rude but weren't welcoming or particularly friendly.I didn't feel like a guest . The restaurant food was edible but not delicious The breakfast was particularly abundant on saturday but a bit picked over on Sunday morning. Check out was easy but no pleasantries as to "how was your stay" or "have a good day" etc. It seems the hotel lacks basic standards like training the staff to a behave a certain way and follow basic hotel etiquette . The same training would benefit the housekeeping staff, each day my room was cleaned differently perhaps a check list of needs to to be attended to each day and a standard of washing towels and sheets every so many days etc. My last day there the bed linens were looking really tired , simply remaking the bed is sometimes not enough. The wifi was free but weak . And the location in relation to city centre terrible.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

I am sorry that your stay was not to your expectations, as much as I cannot address issues in relation to location etc I do regret that you did not receive the service you should have been given. I will be discussing your feedback in detail with the reception and Housekeeping teams.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed here last month as a friend was getting married nearby. The room was clean and comfortable, exactly what you would expect from a hotel in this price band. Staff very friendly and helpful. We ate in the restaurant the night before the wedding and it was good food with good sized portions. There are some mixed reviews on this site, but we didn't see any of these problems, the hotel looked well cared for. I would definitely stay here again if I needed somewhere to stay in Gloucester.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank You for the even handed and realistic feedback, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we hope that you will consider using us again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed at the Hallmark hotel a couple of times and so far was very disappointed with the quality of the hot food served in the evenings.
It seems that the kitchen personnel is not checking that all the food is fully cooked and sufficiently hot.
On my first visit I ordered mussels which gave me a stomach upset overnight.
Unfortunately this was not the last incident and during my recent stay I ordered SEAFOOD BROCHETTE NIÇOISE which gave me very bad food poisoning resulting in 2 missed working days followed by a further 3 day recovery period. I really have to question the kitchen hygiene standards and procedures in the Hallmark Gloucester hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Helmuth M

I have had no confirmed cases of food poisoning brought to my attention.
We operate with one of the highest food safety scores possible from the local EHO following an unannounced audit this year.
I request that you remove this damaging review and give us the opportunity to investigate thoroughly please. Contact me directly at the hotel and I will take your issues extremely seriously.

Daniel Graham

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Holiday Inn Express Gloucester South
Hatton Court Hotel
Hatton Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!