“Beds are dreadful” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Beds are dreadful”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

A good budget hotel for a one night stay only. The single beds are only about 24 inches wide (60 cm) - more of a childs bed really and really low to the ground. Turn over and you'd fall out, so didn't make for a restful night !!. Staff at reception were okay. They have a book out time of 12 midday, but still the cleaners knocked the door at 9am !!, albeit there was a 'do not disturb' sign left out. Room had a good bathroom though - like an enclosed 'pod'.

Room Tip: Really only suitable for a one night stay
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Nicolamoir, General Manager at Hotel Ibis Gloucester, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Ibis Gloucester. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. Kind regards, Nicola Moir General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

I stayed here with my 2 parents on the 6th of September for one night..and I really wish I went with my gut instinct at the reception when I first arrived and check in to a premier inn(a chain which I adore and only strayed from for a cheaper rate at this one)..
I arrived at approximately 4.30pm to this hotel. Looks acceptable on the outside. Walked in the flash doors and proceeded to where I guessed the reception to be (quite hard to tell when you've "uber modern" decor and also no staff to be seen anywhere!)....we stood and waited for a good 5 minutes(no exaggeration..I kept checking my clock as I know sometimes these waits seem longer than they are)...I could hear staff shouting in the kitchen and almost went in to, to fetch them but feared I'd be thrown out.
Then, my father had a brain wave, phoned the phone number we got through booking.com and see if it rings reception phone..and voila..the number rang the phone that was sat on the reception...however...it rang for a good 20 rings before a girl came hurrying around the corner to answer it.I explained I had used to it gain attention as no one had came to the her attention. Although she said sorry, no explanation was given and i was made to feel silly for even mentioning it. Then she announced there was only 1 room under my booking which was met with horror as we definitely order 2....then she looked further and there was actually 2 rooms(would never dream of mentioning this really pedantic point but it builds the service level picture!)...then she handed us the room numbers. My parents were on the 2nd floor...I on the 3rd floor. Felt a bit perturbed but too flustered to say anything. When we got to the lift...my mother was concerned I would be alone on a floor and as I don't often see my parents..it'd be nice to be on the same floor. I retreated quickly back to reception and explained this to be met with a "..oh.No sorry. All rooms on the 2nd floor are gone"...as you can tell..Ibis staff really go above and beyond for their customers. I left my parents room quite late at night and my dad had to escort me as he didn't like the thought of me walking up stairs to my room alone with anyone watching.
Room's weren't very nice either. Bed was glorified chipboard and plastic stilts....bathroom was like one of those you'd find on an old ship..toilet practically in the shower and no bath.very sterile.
We went to checkout the next day where I was going to make a comment to the effect of the above..and SURPRISE..there was no staff to check us out. I wasn't going to wait around yet again to give them a chance to explain or redeem themselves and so I find myself here.

DO NOT go to this hotel..I urge you..just pay the extra for a Premier Inn who I have so far always found superb both in the customer service and the quality of their rooms.

I almost forgot, the icing on the cake on the above is that I found a pubic hair in the shower, and on the door(strangely?)...when I arrived to my bathroom.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Ibis Gloucester appreciate your feedback and I have sent you an email to address this issue. Kind regards, Nicola Moir, General Manager
kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

The hotel was very modern , good value for money , clean , fairly quiet , fairly comfortable and breakfast was of average choice and quality . The restaurant and small bar area , was unfortunately like eating and having a drink in a Pizza Hut . We did not eat food off the hotel menu as we stayed there with a coach party and had a seperate set menu which was basic no frills , of reasonable quality . Hence to sum up i would recommend this hotel for a couple of nights stopover ( food available 24/7 etc.) . But definitely not for those who like the older hotel atmosphere with comfortable lounge bar etc. a stay longer than a couple of nights , or a coach party .

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them. Kind regards, Nicola Moir, General Manager
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed here for one night on the way to Devon to break the journey up. The rooms only accommodate 2 people so are quite small and compact, but very clean and modern. Shower was excellent. Towels are a bit on the thin side so take your own. We asked for a travel cot and got a brand new one. They also provided a lovely thick blanket to put on the bottom to make it more comfy. We took a single air-bed for our 6 year old, so it was a definite squash, but for £42 - including breakfast, you can't complain! The breakfast is good - all you can eat, but a lack of staff and a very slow toaster meant the queue was in between all the tables. Best time to get a seat is 7.30 a.m. or after 8.30 a.m. Eating area is a bit like a cafe, so evening meal and drinks weren't very cosy, but reasonably priced. We'd stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Artlad
So glad you had an enjoyable time at Ibis Gloucester]! We very much appreciate the feedback and we hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Nicola Moir General Manager
Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

Rooms were great. All same layout, really well designed to provide everything needed and for ease of use (and cleaning).

Good range of hot and cold food for buffet breakfast.
We didn't eat in during evenings, but plenty did!

There is a No 10 bus stops just round the corner to get into the city in fifteen minutes. Runs very frequently. Not much else in the immediate vicinity apart from petrol station with attached convenience store.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

Would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank terry99
Nicolamoir, General Manager at Hotel Ibis Gloucester, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and that the team were friendly and helpful. I hope we can welcome you back to Ibis Gloucester very soon. Kind regards, Nicola Moir General Manager
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

i have to give credit to kirk and alison,i stay at alot of hotels all over the uk with my job and i have never seen 2 people work so hard they were dealing with so much with what seemed to be none or very little staff, me and other guest's were talking within the dining area about how much of a credit these 2 hard working people are. as for the room it was very modern and had a spaceship type of bathroom, food was good. a very nice hotel to stay in. would stay again.

Room Tip: speak to alison or kirk
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nicolamoir, Manager at Hotel Ibis Gloucester, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and kirk and myself apreciate your kind words. We hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards, Alison Rawse Manager.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

Stayed at this busy hotel on a saturday night as a stop over on the way to South Wales. I've stayed at a number of Ibis hotels on the continent, and have never had any problems. If I'm ever after a stop over hotel en route somewhere, 99% of the time I'd choose Ibis.

I won't choose Ibis in Gloucester again though. The rude, disinterested check-in staff gave us gave conflicting information about breakfast, and a room which hadn't been cleaned. They immediately changed the room (quite matter of factly, and didn't apologise for the dirty room). The room we were given had the previous occupants empty bottles in the shower. Not a huge problem, but pretty sloppy for Ibis. I didn't bother mentioning it because I really couldn't be bothered to deal with the check-in staff again.

On the plus side, it's easy to get to and the bed was comfy.

Ibis hotels are usually great, this was not the usual standard. Next time I'm on the way to South Wales I'll stop elsewhere.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Nicolamoir, General Manager at Hotel Ibis Gloucester, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Ibis Gloucester appreciate your feedback, this is not our normal standard of service and we are addressing the issue. Please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel should you wish to discuss this further. Kind regards, Nicola Moir, General Manager