“Efficiency issue but overall good food and friendly service”
Review of The Stables Cafe

Ranked #105 of 322 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Sydney
“Efficiency issue but overall good food and friendly service”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Five of us had brunch this morning at the Stables Cafe. It's located on the canal and has plenty of seating in a pleasant, family-style environment. We simply could not understand the system of having one person serving at the counter of what is obviously a popular establishment. The one girl wrote down our order, then made our coffees and poured our juices, then put the order through the till, while a very large queue formed behind us (and we had waited in a queue on arrival for a good ten minutes). Why not have one person putting orders through and another making drinks? We didn't wait too long for the food, and it was well-cooked. The one area that lets the place down is the counter service system. NB To other Trip Advisor members, I oppose the rating system leaping from 'average' to 'very good'. Where is 'good'? I've had no option but to click on 'average' in this review for everything.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank lamprells
wmgroupkate, Public Relations Manager at The Stables Cafe, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to review the Stables Cafe. We are pleased that your overall experience was good but would like to take this opportunity to apologise that you feel our counter service system let us down.

The system you have suggested with two people serving behind the counter is used on our busiest days i.e. weekends and bank holidays however, it seems on this particular day that you visited us we were caught short and it was a lot busier than anticipated. I am sorry that you and your group suffered as a consequence for this.

We hope that your experience has not put you off visiting us again.

With kind regards
Kate
The Stables Café

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Very slow service”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We arrived here mid morning, albeit on a very sunny and warm Sunday. The staff here are friendly so I can't fault them but the system needs a bit of changing around. I waited in the queue for 15 minutes. There were 3 people in front of me. The staff prepare all the cakes and coffees as soon as you order and this I think, is where the problem lies. Surely it would be better to take the order, assign a table number and then bring cakes, drinks etc to the customer? You will relieve the queue at the till and prevent queuing customers from standing too close to seated customers who are eating (there is nothing worse).

The breakfast went down a treat for my husband and the children enjoyed their chocolate muffins, I, however, grumbled about the lack of flavour (and the hole) in my coffee and walnut cake. When I'm paying £20 for a tea, coffee, breakfast and a couple of things for the kids, I expect my cake to taste amazing. I feel awful leaving an average review but I think The Stables could do with a bit of an overhaul.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Caroline T
thestablescafe, Owner at The Stables Cafe, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your review of our cafe.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your visit.

The method of service that you are suggesting (taking the order and the staff bringing over the cakes and drinks) is something that we used to do. Sadly it isn't a system that worked, it caused an even longer wait for the customers and a back log of orders for the serving staff, which resulted in a lot of customer complaints.
Ideally we need a bigger serving area! But we just don't have the space to do this.

I understand that sometimes there can be a long wait when queuing and we always appreciate how patient the customers are, and the staff serve everyone as quickly as possible, but still maintaining that friendly level of service that you kindly commented on.

I can only apologise that you weren't happy with your coffee and walnut cake. I'm not sure if you took the complaint up with a member of staff, I hope that you did and they replaced the cake for you, which they are trained to do as we wish every customer to be completely happy with their purchases and are always perfectly happy to correct our mistakes.

I hope you will give us another chance.

Kind regards

Carla
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant cakes!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have visited twice in the last few weeks and I have always found the service to be very good - admittedly my visits have been at the beginning of the week, so it hasn't been at a busy time - I have heard that it can get very busy. The staff are always friendly and helpful and the prices are on a par with other establishments.
Always a good selection of cakes - which all look to be homemade. The food menu looks very appetising - I intend to visit again soon.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank tashal1976
Bristol, UK
“Why Close the Kitchen at 2.30PM”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Like others found this place by accident on the canalside near Whitminster. Lovely setting and very pleasant staff and a wide range of normal café food at reasonable prices. English Breakfast around the £6 mark. We had tea, cakes and a toasted tea cake. The tea cake was the closest we got to any substantial food however as the Kitchen had closed. It was only about 2.45pm and after us there were a stream of people also looking for something more substantial - even a sandwich would have been good. Great staff, plenty of them but why close the kitchen at 2.30 .......

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank BidBristol_UK
Thank you for your review of our cafe.

I just wanted to respond to your question about why we shut the kitchen at 2.30 pm.
When we started the business we cooked until closing. This however wasn't sustainable as although there are a small amount of customers that we sadly have to cause disappointment to, the majority of customers were looking for cakes and drinks after 2.30 pm, therefore not efficiently paying for the kitchen to be open until 4.30 pm. So now the time after 2.30 pm is used more effectively and affordable for preparation and cleaning.

We have also tried selling pre-made sandwiches and rolls (still made in our kitchen) after the kitchen closes, this resulted in a lot of waste which we cant stand to see!

If we are very busy and they are staffed and have the produce to sell then the kitchen will continue to cook food until there is no one else who wishes to order.

There is always a selection of cakes on offer until we close.

I hope you can understand why we have a cut off point to keep staff costs down, which helps us keep costs down to the customers and to meet the customers needs.

Thank you though for reviewing our cafe and please know that we take all comments on board and make adjustments where possible.

Kind regards

Carla
Weybridge, United Kingdom
“Great stop on the canal”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Good food cafe along the canal path. Busy and vibrant, it seemed a popular place with locals and visitors alike.

Visited April 2014