“Nice and friendly”

Brookthorpe Lodge
Ranked #5 of 22 Gloucester B&B and Inns
“Nice and friendly”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Good breakfast and very clean nice place to stay good location for touring Glos
Would recommend it and the proprietor was very helpfull

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Murray W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We have just enjoyed an extremely pleasant two night break at Brookthorpe Lodge. Mr & Mrs Bailey could not have made us feel more welcome. Their guest house is excellent. Our twin bedded room en suite room was very clean, comfortable and warm as was the rest of the house. The onsite parking is most useful and the surrounding countryside quiet and peaceful. Breakfast was excellent. Proper fruit juice and a full english breakfast to set you up for the day. Even porridge which Mrs Bailey cooked just for me on request. Would certainly visit again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed for six nights over two weeks and was very happy with my room and the great breakfasts ! Ground floor room was smallish but clean and comfortable . First floor room was larger but bathroom cubicle tiny! Everything meticulously clean. Host Robert very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Vevey
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We booked this on the strength of some reviews on another site and also looking at the 'family room' photos. We were disappointed by the very flat greeting, especially for our 8 year old child. The decor is extremely dated and the family room up two very long steep flights of stairs. The room has a small double bed and bunk beds. Our son naturally wanted to sleep on the top bunk, but his head was almost touching the ceiling! The whole room was extremely cramped. The ensuite 'shower room' is a complete joke! It is tiny, and the sink is also tiny. The room is also next to the road, which is actually very busy, especially in the early morning. The coup de grâce was the shower. It is electric, and both my husband and son separately scalded themselves as the water changed temperature from cold to boiling hot. I decided to have a shower and wash my hair in the morning which was a complete disaster. Again the water temperature fluctuated then with my hair covered in shampoo the water pressure dropped and there was NO hot water, so I was left standing freezing cold waiting..... We were booked in for 3 nights but decided there and then to check out. My husband tried to explain the problem about the plumbing to the owner, but he appeared to be quite indifferent. The only positive comment I could leave on behalf of my husband was that the breakfast was good. After my experience in the shower I was not in the mood for eating anything.....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank debjoaell
Robert B, Owner at Brookthorpe Lodge, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Technical issues can occur with facilities, in this case the shower was found to be faulty and was immediately replaced. I am very sorry the reviewer didn't enjoy her stay with us; as highlighted we do receive good reviews from a number of websites.

There are however other statements made in the review which seriously misrepresent the facts. For example the double bed is a UK standard 4'- 6" size, the room measures 4m x 4.5m ( 18 sq mts ) which is above average for a guest house and the bathroom at 2m x 2m is a typical size.

Our standards are independently inspected and assessed by Quality in Tourism who have consistently awarded Brookthorpe Lodge a 3 star rating for the last 12 years in a row.
Hedge End, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Very friendly hosts on arrival, with a homely feel. I was impressed as my room had a new flat screen TV. The Lodge was convenient for my meeting as it was close to the Waterwells Business Park.
Overall an enjoyable experience and good value for money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Enjoyed my stay in this charming house. Room had a good size and was very clean. Loved the breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We stayed here in January 2011, the room was spacious, but it was too close to the road and the traffic noise pretty much kept me awake all night. The radiators in the room were kept way too hot and the bed was uncomfortable. To say the room had an en-suite was an absolute joke, it was a caravan shower and sink glued to the corner of the room, my husband who is very tall had to bend to get in the shower and you cannot dry yourself unless you get out of the so-called bathroom. I have no idea what the other rooms were like, but if you book here, check if you have an actual bathroom or a tiny plastic bathroom jammed in the corner.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah N
Robert B, Owner at Brookthorpe Lodge, responded to this review, 14 January 2012
Customer satisfaction and comfort have always been our priority and I always interact with all guests to make sure this is the case. I am surprised and disappointed that during this couples 3 day stay with us, we were not given the opportunity to suggest that they would perhaps prefer to turn the heating down or off, or move to an alternative room with a larger en-suite, of which we have several, to make their stay with us a happy one.