“Not bad for a Holiday Inn but...”

Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Cannington, United Kingdom
“Not bad for a Holiday Inn but...”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Stayed here for a week on business. I have to say that the facilities at this hotel are excellent. A Gym and pool are available and the food is not too bad if lacking in quantity!! The only slight annoyance for me was the fact that the WiFi had to be paid for and the Tv didnt even have all the freeview channels available to watch, i guess this is to make you buy films or go to the bar to watch the football. Service in the restaurant was good throughout the week though, never had to wait long for anything and the food was nice when it came. Would stay again on business.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the end of a corridor, people can be noisy passing by on their way to the
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I am glad you found the facilities here at the hotel excellent and the food not bad. We have took on board the cost of wifi and in 2014 we will be bringing free wifi to the hotel. I hope we can welcome you back again on business or for leisure soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
London
Reviewed 29 September 2013

just had a mini break and loved the hotel very chilled out really nice staff on reception, in the restaurant great food nothing to much trouble, feel really relaxed, loved the little soaps slippers robes and water in rooms, nice and clean going back very soon thank you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for writing such positive comments. I am glad you found the hotel to be relaxed with really nice staff on reception and the food in restaurant great. I am glad you enjoyed the robe and slipper too and can't wait too welcome you back again soon.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed there one night as part of a round trip. This was the poorest hotel on our tour. The room was very small, no place to open two suitcases at the same time without placing one on the bed. The dining room was so noisy with bad acoustics that it was difficult to lead an ordinary conversation. An interior decorator could probably do a great deal to muffle the noise. As it was, one wanted to get out of the room as soon as possible. To access the internet they charged 5£ for one hour.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank XiongOslo_Norway
Thank you taking the time to write a review. I am truly sorry to read that you feel you would not return to the hotel as you found the rooms small and the restaurant to be noisy. We are bringing to the hotel free wifi in 2014. I hope we can welcome you back with a more enjoyable stay.
Ceredigion, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here five or six times now and it's gets better each stay! The manager is really on the Ball for sure. I
honestly rate this as the best Holiday Inn I've ever stayed at. ALL the staff are unbelievably charming and helpful. They would honestly
move the hotel an inch to the right or left to make your stay a great experience!Check in is and always has been excellent with a friendly welcome and smiles ( so important for first impressions!) The bar staff/restaurant staff are brilliant always have a smile and so attentive! Breakfast here is superb by the way!Stayed in room 127 for 4 nights( an executive room) everything was was brilliantly clean and comfortable. All in all just
can't fault a thing about this hotel. Mr Loe thank you
for the superb job you've
done in making this a great Holiday Inn!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Phil1957
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am so glad you find we get better every time you stay commenting on the staff being charming and helpful with a smile and to hear that you find the breakfast superb. To read that you feel we will do anything to make you have a great stay is fantastic as it is exactly what we do. Thank you for coming back and staying at our hotel and hope to welcome you back again.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

it was ok, rooms clean and tidy. Arrived late on Friday and had booked at meal 9.30pm all staff helpful and friendly although restaurant lacked any atmosphere. Starters bland but mains were ok. Gym fine the next morning. Breakfast good - fresh fruit was very good although bacon was plastic and hash browns were not crispy - however staff tried to help and smiled.
Reception staff on check in and check out were good, helpful and smiled and appeared to want to help.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your response. I am glad you come across all our staff to be friendly and wanting to help with a smile. I am sorry to hear you found a lack of atmosphere in the restaurant and the bacon and hash browns not to your satisfaction, we will review this. Many thanks and hope to welcome you back with a smile again.
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I stayed here for 1 night after driving 156 miles from home, in preparation for a business meeting the following day. I booked a room package that included dinner and breakfast.
The food at dinner was very good, although the restaurant and bar areas lacked atmosphere.
I was very surprised to get presented with a bill for dinner, as my package was supposed to include dinner. It wasn't explained to me before the meal that only certain items on the menu were included within the package. This was later resolved at check-out the following morning, when I was refunded the additional meal cost, and received an apology that they hadn't explained what was and wasn't included within the meal package.
The room was comfortable enough, although average, as was the general hallways and interior of the hotel. I was disappointed that they charge extra for wifi access, bearing in mind how much their room tariffs are. This is somewhat tight-fisted, as most reputable places these days, provide wifi access free of charge.
I then was extremely disappointed with the quality of the food at breakfast...it was awful. I opted for the cooked breakfast, which was a help-yourself buffet style. Although the bacon and beans were ok, the scrambled eggs didn't taste like eggs. They tasted like they'd been made with instant powder. The black pudding was soft, too thick, and tasteless, and the hash browns tasted stale. For drinks, the tea was very poor, and had no taste. Would I stay here again? For what it cost, no!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Oakesy_11
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Firstly, I am sorry about the mix up with your dinner and what was included in the meal package I am glad this was resolved at check out but it should have been made clear to you before so I am sorry, but I am glad you found your dinner very good. I am sorry to read that you was disappointed with breakfast as we do make the same efforts in every meal time. I am glad you found your room comfortable. WIFI will be free in 2014 so I hope to welcome you back to see our improvements.
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We arrived late in the evening and were greeted by the receptionist pointing out that our rate didn't include breakfast (a suprise to me as this wasn't made clear on the booking site or on the confirmation I produced). The room rate wasn't that cheap either! Luckily she called the night manager who saw it from our angle and included the breakfasts. Good on you guys!
The room was somewhat unusually laid out - maybe because we'd booked for three adults - all the furniture was up against the walls with a bit space in the middle. The bar is a bit small and on that evening a bit noisy but a good nights sleep was had until 7 a.m. when the noise from the corridor was such that I wondered if the door had been left open. Unfortunately every guest that was going for breakfast or leaving appeared to have a loud conversation outside our room. Not what you need on a Sunday morning! The icing on the cake was when a member of staff held a phone conversation at full pelt outside our 'not to be disturbed' room. That said - its the building design thats at fault.
Pool was good - Breakfast was excellent and service was friendly and quick. But - we won't be returning until you get some sound proofing and you're pricing is clearer.

Room Tip: Don't take rooms around 110 - 119 as everyone uses that corridor in the morning for their loud c...
1 Thank MisterBrian
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear MisterBrian,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed the breakfast served during your stay. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A