“First class! Felt like I'd got away without paying”

Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Derby, United Kingdom
“First class! Felt like I'd got away without paying”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

We needed a short break so checked into the Holiday Inn Gloucester, the good lady wife had booked a treatment or two so could we check in early, I mean VERY early! Yes, no problem so I unpacked whilst she had a back massage then amused myself in the Sainsbury's over the road when she had a facial. The room was excellent, okay the furniture looked a bit dated from its time as a THF Posthouse but it added to that charm, it was spotlessly clean, the recently refurbished bathroom looked untouched and we visited the Spirit Health Club twice! Nice pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. We visited Gloucester Quays outlet village spending about two hours in All Saints alone then went back to the hotel to get ready for a night on the town! I felt the taxi into the city centre was a bit pricey (£9.80 for a journey I'd pay about a fiver for back home) but not the hotels fault and a fun night ended with an order of two sandwiches from room service which arrived promptly, packed with filling and well worth the price + a 10% service charge which is mildly annoying. The wifi access was free due to a Christmas promotion but expect to pay £16 for a 24 hour pass at all other times. Like the pay channels on the TV do you really need it? spend some time with your nearest and dearest rather than update facebook! The staff went out of their way to make you feel at home and nothing was too much trouble! We recently stayed with a rival hotel chain and this visit ran in a bit cheaper and I'd just give it the nod of preference, will definitely be coming again and might even bring the children next time!

Room Tip: Try and go for an executive one
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review. It is nice to hear that you found the room to be excellent, we are hoping for a refurbishment on some of our rooms that do have the more dated furniture. I am glad you enjoyed the local attraction of Gloucester Quays and your night on the town to end it with two sandwiches from the hotel that you found packed with filling and well worth the price.We can't wait to welcome you back again soon and hopefully with your children.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Chesterfield, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Have stayed her for three weeks now and I cannot fault the friendly service from all members of staff. The rooms are clean and well presented. The breakfast is good. The gym is good too but more often then not the air conditioning isn't on which makes the room a bit like a steam sauna. For me the mattress could be improved and I don't like hollow fiber pillows, but I know that everyone has different tastes. Would reccomend.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tonyshepp
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad to read that you cannot fault our service after being here for three weeks already and that you find the rooms clean, breakfast good and the gym. I am sorry that you feel the mattresses could be improved we do take on any feedback we get given so this will be looked into and also please let me take this time to say we do offer a variety of different kinds of pillows. Please do not hesitate to ask any member of our staff about this. Thank you for your reccommendation we hope to welcome you again soon.
Lancs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was our 2nd short stay at this hotel. Overall very satisfied, room was quite small, but adequate for a short stay. Room was clean and well presented, although perhaps starting to show it's age a little. It was cold on arrival, but we soon found the heating controls and warmed it up, however on returning later that night we discovered it had gone off again. Breakfast is buffet style, but food was very good and appeared freshly cooked.

For us the most impressive thing about this establishment is the exceptional customer service we received, from the helpful welcome we received from Ali and Charlotte on reception, the standard from all the staff we dealt with was exceptional, despite being very busy, they were always polite and helpful. Will be returning.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you came back to stay with us again and you was overall very satisfied. However, I am sorry you felt the room was a bit aged we are currently reviewing a refurbishment in some of our rooms. It is delightful to read that you found the most impressive thing about us was our exceptional customer service and I will be sure to make Ali and Charlotte aware of your mentions about them. We can't wait to welcome you back again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Was here for just a night due to a Business Trip to Barnwood. Lovely staff and lovely hotel. Shame could not try out the menu or the health spa as was out on Christmas Dinner with Colleagues. Had breakfast which was good. Overall, would recommend this to all colleagues and friends. One suggestion would be to improve the TV Channels as it is very limited.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Hi veeruveer, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was nice to read your headline of Great place to stay, commenting on our lovely staff and hotel. We hope we can welcome you back soon and experience our menu and health club. Thank you for your reccommendation.
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

We feel very lucky to have stayed here as the location was well sign posted and very easy to find in the dark. Room was lovely, with no noise disturbance at all and staff were friendly, well trained and knowledgable. Huge car park and lovely reception area. Only small niggle was the limited menu - offering far too many salads for The time of year!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hi Mum-of-Charlie, It has been a delight reading your review, with the headline Fantastic hotel and rating us 5/5. I am glad you found the hotel well and signposted, your room was lovely with no noise disturbance at all and our staff friendly and knowledgable. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed here with a group of colleagues, been here plenty of times as local, but never stayed. For the rate we paid (£89) we got a first class hotel with all the facilities

The staff are helpful and very knowlegable, couldn't fault their local knowledge in a city I know very well, the rooms were clean and comfortable and the wifi had a strong signal.

The only thing I will say, is this is a very busy hotel and finding a quiet spot to chat in the evening was difficukt.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Hi GloucesterDobbie, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you found the price you paid to be reasonable, the staff friendly and knowledgable and the rooms clean and comfortable with high wifi signal. I am sorry to read you couldn't find a quiet spot to chat in the evening. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.
Velez-Malaga, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I have stayed many many times in different Holiday Inns, but this was my first time in Gloucester/Cheltenham. I booked online and requested a disabled room as I was also booking for my 88 year old father and his female companion. The disabled rooms were not available but the room offered was next to the reception and all facilities and only for one night so we still accepted it. The room was very nice and clean and comfortable with toiletries, TV etc. The only draw back was that the room was cold on arrival, although I soon discovered how to put the heating on and so the room was warm when I returned to it later that night. Unfortunately in my father's room I had not realised they did not know how to work the heating and their room was also cold so his Lady friend complained bitterly to reception. The Staff were so understanding and came and put the heating on straight away and also offered her a portable fire if she preferred. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble. Even the manager came to check and see if everything was alright. We were all very impressed with the customer service! We booked in at 11am and were able to have our rooms straight away which was a bonus as we were out the rest of the day at a family get-together. When we returned that evening we decided to treat ourselves to a coffee with Brandy before retiring. Bit shocked at the cost - almost £25 for the 3, but we don't do this very often so maybe we are out of touch with prices? In the morning we had the full English breakfast which was included in the price and delicious with plenty of choices. The hotel was full and very busy as it was Cheltenham Race Weekend but this is no way retracted from the excellent PERSONAL customer service we received throughout our stay. We will stay here again and also recommend it to everyone. Overall a very nice experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Styrisch, Thank you taking the time to write a review. Firstly I am sorry your request was not fully met but was able to offer you a suitable room that was clean and comfortable. I am sorry your room was cold upon arrival but you told a member of staff who was more than happy to help and offer you additonal items. I am glad you were impressed with the customer service and you was able to get into your room staright away at 11am. I am sorry to read you found the prices of your drinks a bit high we do take on every bit of feedback we get. It is nice to read that although the Cheltenham Races were on you felt it didn't retract form the excellent personal customer service. We would be more than happy to welcome you back and thank you for your reccommendation.