This Holiday Inn is situated at the North-East edge of Gloucester, adjacent for the A417 and convenient for the M5, junction 11a; there is plenty of free parking on site. Our weekend stay was in January 2014, we were given a very reasonable deal which included an evening meal on the first night in addition to B & B for a standard room. Use of the fitness centre and pool was part of the deal (wish I had remembered my swimsuit).
All the rooms are situated away from the main road. The standard room was small for 2 (most frequented by solo business people, I suspect), but it was adequate for us. It was very clean and well presented, the bed was very comfortable; the air-conditioning was quiet and effective. The bathroom was similarly small, and had no heating in it as the air-conditioning had replaced both the radiator in the bedroom and the towel rail in the bathroom – result, towels that did not really dry and a floor that was freezing underfoot. Underfloor heating came to mind! Soundproofing between the rooms was good – but the door to the corridor is hopeless for keeping out any noise. The first evening there was a post-christmas Christmas party in the hotel and people returned to their rooms between 1 and 3am. They were not noisy revellers, but just normal chatting down the corridor was amplified in the room (or so my husband tells me as slept through most of it).
We were quietly impressed with the standard of the food and the speed with which it came out of the kitchen: good quality and a wide choice. The evening meal on Saturday began with pâté for my hubbie, which came in its own small Kilner jar, enough pate for 2. Although it came with only one piece of bread, our request for another was quickly attended to. Mains were escalope of turkey for the man; I had grilled fillet of trout on a bed of puy lentils and roasted vegetables, beautifully presented and with a taste to match. Sticky toffee pudding with decent ice-cream was shared between us for dessert – “naughty but nice” – and finished off the meal with coffee. A bottle of sparkling fizz washed down the food. On Sunday evening the restaurant was closed as there were so few residents, we ate in the bar area but the whole menu was open to us. My husband had an Aberdeen Angus burger; I had beef lasagne with salad and garlic ciabatta – both enjoyed. Unfortunately, one cannot avoid football on 2 huge wide screen TVs, perhaps when only the bar is open for food, the TV in the upper area could be turned off?
Breakfast was buffet style with again an excellent choice to suit all tastes. I enjoyed the various fresh fruits on offer with natural yoghurt (greek also available). There was also a limited amount of continental items on offer (which did not seem to be that popular), and a large array of hot food. Toast could be freshly made and there were pastries as well. Hot drinks were served by the staff who quickly cleared plates from the tables.
Throughout our stay, the staff could not be more helpful; from the gratis internet we received on our arrival, the fresh milk bought to our room, the duck and feather pillows also brought, to the delivery of a new key when our old one refused to work. There was a comment on a previous review about large numbers of staff who had poor English; I beg to differ. We met only indigenous English people the first day and only two the second – both spoke perfect English. We were met with courtesy and helpfulness our entire visit.
This was our first visit as a couple to a Holiday Inn and we would return – and I will remember my swimsuit next time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Hotel Gloucester-Cheltenham is conveniently located just off the M5 & only 2 miles from Gloucester's City Centre & 6 miles from Regency Cheltenham. An ideal location for families with our Kids Stay & Eat Free policy*. Visit the revitalized Docks area with its many shops including Gloucester Quays, restaurants & entertainment or the cloisters of Gloucester Cathedral, famous filming location for Harry Potter, or simply enjoy the cafe culture & shopping of Cheltenham. Take full advantage of your relaxing break away at the Holiday Inn Hotel Gloucester-Cheltenham by using the excellent facilities of our Spirit Health Club & Beauty Therapist. All bedrooms are fully air conditioned with all the facilities you would expect from a Holiday Inn including High Speed Internet Access, interactive TV & pay movies. We also have a number of executive rooms for that added touch of luxury & family rooms suitable for up to 2 adults and 2 children. The Academy conference & training suites are perfectly suited to your business needs. A total of 9 meeting rooms with a maximum capacity of up to 130. The Holiday Inn Hotel Gloucester-Cheltenham is also licensed to hold civil wedding ceremonies & is a great venue for a lavish celebration or an intimate affair. *Terms & Conditions apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham Hotel Gloucester
- Gloucester Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham Gloucestershire