“Helpful staff and good food”

Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Helpful staff and good food”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This Holiday Inn is situated at the North-East edge of Gloucester, adjacent for the A417 and convenient for the M5, junction 11a; there is plenty of free parking on site. Our weekend stay was in January 2014, we were given a very reasonable deal which included an evening meal on the first night in addition to B & B for a standard room. Use of the fitness centre and pool was part of the deal (wish I had remembered my swimsuit).
All the rooms are situated away from the main road. The standard room was small for 2 (most frequented by solo business people, I suspect), but it was adequate for us. It was very clean and well presented, the bed was very comfortable; the air-conditioning was quiet and effective. The bathroom was similarly small, and had no heating in it as the air-conditioning had replaced both the radiator in the bedroom and the towel rail in the bathroom – result, towels that did not really dry and a floor that was freezing underfoot. Underfloor heating came to mind! Soundproofing between the rooms was good – but the door to the corridor is hopeless for keeping out any noise. The first evening there was a post-christmas Christmas party in the hotel and people returned to their rooms between 1 and 3am. They were not noisy revellers, but just normal chatting down the corridor was amplified in the room (or so my husband tells me as slept through most of it).

We were quietly impressed with the standard of the food and the speed with which it came out of the kitchen: good quality and a wide choice. The evening meal on Saturday began with pâté for my hubbie, which came in its own small Kilner jar, enough pate for 2. Although it came with only one piece of bread, our request for another was quickly attended to. Mains were escalope of turkey for the man; I had grilled fillet of trout on a bed of puy lentils and roasted vegetables, beautifully presented and with a taste to match. Sticky toffee pudding with decent ice-cream was shared between us for dessert – “naughty but nice” – and finished off the meal with coffee. A bottle of sparkling fizz washed down the food. On Sunday evening the restaurant was closed as there were so few residents, we ate in the bar area but the whole menu was open to us. My husband had an Aberdeen Angus burger; I had beef lasagne with salad and garlic ciabatta – both enjoyed. Unfortunately, one cannot avoid football on 2 huge wide screen TVs, perhaps when only the bar is open for food, the TV in the upper area could be turned off?

Breakfast was buffet style with again an excellent choice to suit all tastes. I enjoyed the various fresh fruits on offer with natural yoghurt (greek also available). There was also a limited amount of continental items on offer (which did not seem to be that popular), and a large array of hot food. Toast could be freshly made and there were pastries as well. Hot drinks were served by the staff who quickly cleared plates from the tables.
Throughout our stay, the staff could not be more helpful; from the gratis internet we received on our arrival, the fresh milk bought to our room, the duck and feather pillows also brought, to the delivery of a new key when our old one refused to work. There was a comment on a previous review about large numbers of staff who had poor English; I beg to differ. We met only indigenous English people the first day and only two the second – both spoke perfect English. We were met with courtesy and helpfulness our entire visit.
This was our first visit as a couple to a Holiday Inn and we would return – and I will remember my swimsuit next time!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am glad you found the location good with rooms away from the main road, the food nice and quickly served to you and the service from our staff. I am sorry to read that you came across a few minor problems, we listen to all feddback our guests can give us and action any that we can straight away. I hope we can welcome you back again soon along with your swimming costume.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Liverpool
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Booked 9 rooms Twixmas for a family get together on a good B&B rate and had a great time. Everything was as you would wish for from Holiday Inn and the staff were without exception lovely. Had asked for a convenient room for a limited mobility guest and that had been arranged. Some of the group made use of the leisure club which was not crowded except with small children using the pool. Everywhere clean and well maintained. As ever, bar food & drinks a little pricey but pleasant seating area.

Room Tip: No lift so specify ground floor if you have mobility issues.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you found everything as you would wish from us, this is great, and that convenient rooms had been arranged well for you. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.
Reviewed 3 January 2014

stayed here 31/12- 02/01/-14, exec room and we booked in for breakfast.

Got champagne and chocolates on our NYE arrival!!! how nice!!!!!!!!!!

ROOM: room was great, had the fridge etc as promised. both my 4 yr and 5 yr old boys got their own sofa beds, bathroom maybe needs updating but it was clean and functional.

This hotel has a great pool etc not to be missed out on. although I thought the opening hours on a bank holiday were quite late. NYD the pool was 10am-8pm, Maybe a 9-6 or 8-5 could work better as those who were leaving couldn't swim before they go home well, without rushing anyways.

it was quite noisy on NYE. but i didnt expect any less and its not the hotel's fault that the kid next door never calmed down.

Breakfasts were GREAT, big thanks to that team!!! they are well prepared and there was no fuss in getting what you wanted and the girls were so very cheery :-)

my only one major gripe was that the hotel advertised a man utd game as on in the bar on NYD so we came back to watch it and it turned out that the hotel doesnt have bt sports! so why advertise???? we would of gone elsewhere so i had a word with reception and they understood my point and gave me a 4 hour wifi code so i could log in on my own device to watch it! well rectified holiday inn!
food in the bar was good tho, and our boys ate free

Husband enjoyed himself that much he wants to go back next year, except the bump will be a baby nxt NYE so we may have to see....

also we found the hotel well handy for the races, we got soaked by the way.....lol!

Room Tip: book executive!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and rating us a 5 out of 5! I am glad you enjoyed the champagne and chocolates on arrival on NYE. It is nice to read that you found the room great, we take on all feedback and will look at all rooms and bathrooms that need updating. I am glad you found the pool great I am sorry you found the opening times a bit late for you we will review this for next year. Thank you for your understanding of the noise level and I am sorry this occurred, I also apologise with the mix up of the Man Utd game I am glad it was rectified with reception however I will communicate to all the team what channels we have and haven't got so this does not happen again. I hope we can welcome you, your husband and your new addition to the hotel again soon.
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here whilst visiting family over New Year. All the staff we meet were extremely friendly and happy to help in any way. We stayed on a great deal B&B deal and the breakfast on both days was very good. We used the leisure facilities - pool, sauna & steam rooms which were more than adequate and all the areas were very clean. This would definitely be our first choice of hotel when visiting the area again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and rating us a 4 out of 5! I am glad that all the staff you met were very friendly and helpful, and you found the B&B deal good with breakfast being to your satisfaction on both mornings. I am glad the leisure facilities were more than adequate for you. It is nice to read that we will be your fist choice when visiting the area again.
UK
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here DBB for an excellent price, along with our 2yr old son.
Ali on reception was very helpful on our arrival. Shame the room wasn't ready for check-in time, but I think that we could have been moved to a different room. However, I am sometimes in a wheelchair so needed to wait for the larger and more accessible room. Wait was only until about 14:20. It is usual to offer a soft drink in these circumstances, but not bothered as price we paid was so good.
Julie was great in the restaurant on our first night - helpful, friendly and great with our son.
Had to eat in the bar on the second night as the restaurant was closed, and was a bit surprised that the set menu was the same as the previous night. No great crisis though.
Didn't get to use the pool, sadly, as our son had a bad cold, but others said it was lovely.
Appreciated the seasonal offer of free internet use (but had to spot this as wasn't told of it). Nowadays, would be good to have free internet access as standard.
Special thanks also to Denise, who was lovely when I rang after checking out to say we had left something behind. She found it and we picked it up later.
What the hotel lacks in character, it makes up for with an excellent staff.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
OperationsMK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and rating us a 5! I am glad you found the price to be excellent and Ali on reception was very helpful I will be sure to pass this on to him. I am sorry your room wasn't ready upon arrival, A complimentary drink is usually offered I am sorry this didn't happen. I am glad your experience in the bar and restaurant were good with the help of Julie who will be happy to hear this. I will also be passing on your comments to Denise with locating your items you left behind. Thank you for your lovely comments I hope this means we can welcome you back again soon.
London
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Welcoming staff, a nice complementary upgrade as part of my elite status. The room (which I think it was the highest category) was still smallish, would benefit from an update, specially the bathroom (also, why there's an empty mini bar...?). Breakfast OK.
Good value for those who'd like to explore the surroundings - after all this is a good location for the Cotswolds. Average/Good overall.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you was welcomed by our staff and you enjoyed the complementary upgrade. I am sorry you still felt the room was a bit small and the bathroom could be updated we are in talks with our owners to get the majority of our rooms refurbished. Also, the mini bars we stock upon request I am sorry this was not communicated well. I am glad you find us good value for our location near the cotswolds. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Reception : no fuss regarding changing rooms as first room allocate was too small. After day one our granddaughter was homesick and we took her home. So did not need extra bed. Changed from roomy disable room to executive.
Restaurant: some confusion regarding 'set menu ' and if Specials menu could be used for main course. Happy to oblige.
Spirit Spa: wife's swim costume damaged in spinner/drier - hotel happy to give new from selection on display.
Special mention:
Chloe - reception
Restaurant - Julie
Operations manager
Conclusion : happy to recommend

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is delightful to read that you felt we couldn't do enough as this is what you set out achieve. I am glad your problems were resolved regarding rooms, restaurant menu and the swimming costume that was damaged by our drier. I will pass on your mentions to these people who will be delighted. Thank you for your recommendation we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.