“First Class Service”

Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
“First Class Service”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for three nights, throughout my stay the staff were polite and attentive, I did ask if another room was available on the first morning as I felt that to look out and only see a brick wall was rather poor for an executive room (the architects fault not the staff!) and was promised that it would be looked into - ten minutes later I had a call and was moved swiftly and efficiently. My restricted diet was noticed the first morning as I always bring my own gluten, dairy and egg free bread and was offered gluten free cereal, soya milk and separate cooking if it would help - none of which I needed but the offer and the manner in which I was treated was most appreciated. This hotel is in a good location with excellent parking and staff that are a credit to the group, the leisure facilities are good too. Will I be back - Yes of course I will.

Room Tip: If you are just here for the night 119 is fine but if you will be spending time in your room and wou...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Jeremy G, thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review and saying how quickly you were moved from your room as they view was not great for you, I am glad my team reacted quickly to this and for recognising your diet restrictions and offering that out to you this is exactly what we strive to achieve. I am glad you feel it is a first class service and delighted that you will be staying with us again.

Many thanks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I spent a night in this hotel. It is good location not far from Cheltenham and Gloucester, rooms are a little small but well equipped.

The internet was very slow even though as a Platinum member it was free, if I had to pay for it I would have requested my money back.

I would improve on customer service the staff need to learn to smile more and be more proactive with customers. It might have been that I checked in at 11pm and they were half asleep but I would appreciate some courtesy especially as a Platinum member. I didn't like their attitude when I asked for a double room and they said they were fully booked, I accept that I was on rewards night and they are booked but there is a better way of saying sorry we are booked than turning your back and leaving!!!.

If I had to pay £124 per night for this hotel I would have taken my custom elsewhere, which I will do. I rated the hotel 4 star simply of it is location and face value of hotel, but i will not be staying there again. This week I booked somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mrs_Z00m, thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback on your stay with us. I am sorry that you felt we was a good hotel but with bad customer service this is such a dissapointment to us as this is not what we want our guests to feel like I can only apologise and say that we will be acting on this and communicate this to the team. I am sorry that you have booked somewhere else I hope you can gove us another chance to prove ourselves.

Bexhill on Sea
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed in a so called executive room for one night. Great parking facilities, and location for me was good. Welcoming and friendly reception staff checked me in, however the exec room was a disappointment, it definitively needs an urgent make over, no coffee machine or anything else indicating it was an executive room, and I had to stay in a smoking room (since I booked late and that was the only room available) and unless you are a smoke I wouldn't recommend that, the smell is awful. However it was a quite room and the temperature control worked great. We didn't have dinner at the hotel, but we had a few drinks late evening in the bar, and they have a good selection of drinks, but the evening staff should be made were that they work in a service / customer driven environment. A short and polite description would be that they were less than helpful. Breakfast in the morning was good, and the staff was extremely helpful and polite. Check out staff again where good and the check out was quick and efficient. All in all it was a good stay, for a good price! Internet connection is not included, and when you buy it, it is both expensive and slow!

Room Tip: ask for a refurbished room and avoid the smoking room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Per T, thank you for writing about your recent stay with us providing us with some feedback. I am sorry that you had to stay in one of our smoking rooms as it was the only one left I hope next time you experience a better room for you. I am glad you found it all in all a good stay for a good price but we will be taking on board your comments and communicating this across the hotel.

Thurso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I just got back from staying for a week at this very nice hotel as I was in the area for business. I hadn't really been particularly looking forward to staying as in general I don't consider Holiday Inns to be particularly pleasant so it was a nice surprise how much I enjoyed the hotel.

The staff were all friendly but in particular I would like to "give a shout out" to the lovely CLAUDINE in the breakfast room who was always so cheerful and friendly to everyone and for whom nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts themselves were pretty much outstanding. Cooked breakfast was available on the buffet with all the trimmings plus lots of cereal choices, tasty breakfast pastries, freshly brewed coffee and fresh fruit, too. If this wasn't enough there was also a menu of other things you can order ranging from porridge to eggs benedict at no extra charge, and free newspapers, too. A brilliant start to each day.

The rooms themselves were nice and, though fairly compact, had everything I needed including iron and ironing board without having to ask for the,. The showers were powerful with plenty of hot water. And the rooms and whole hotel were spotlessly clean.

The only fault I could find with the place was the room service dinners. First of all, it was extremely difficult to get hold of room service to place an order and I usually had to ring back several times before anyone would pick up. And no one ever picked up before 6pm. Secondly the food was not that great. Mostly it was acceptable and edible but the macaroni and cheese was particularly nasty and seemed to be made with mayonnaise instead of cheese - yuck! So I would say avoid eating dinner at the hotel if you can avoid it, and I know there are numerous good dinner options a short car journey away. There is also a massive Sainsburys within walking distance.

In all a very good hotel which has made me rethink my opinion of Holiday Inns.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Tanyastories, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad we were able to make you re-think positivley about staying at Holidays Inn again by enjoying your breakfast and your room. I am sorry you found room service not so great I will inform my team on this to be able to correct this.

Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed there for couple of night last week. Great location to get into the city by car or bus to town center. The room bigger than in Cheltenham and I think the breakfast was better as well. It is good hotel to stay for business trip or just for couple of nights.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Renasari W
Dear Renasari W, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you found the location to be great and the breakfast better than others. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Had a leisure day pass so had a nice swim . Ordered a few light bites from the menu. Food was fine and did what it said on the tin. Pork bites were a highlight of the bunch and sweet potato chips were nice.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jonno16, thank you for taking the time to write a review on your leisure day with us. I am glad you enjoyed your swim and enjoyed your light dinner with us. I hope we can welcome you back again soon with an extended stay.

Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I booked this hotel using my BA Avios, I suspect had I been paying the £150 a night I probably would be rating this hotel lower.

Pros: Great location to get into the city by car, I dont know what public transport is like. The breakfast was tasty (although it better be because getting it adds £20 to the cost of your room!)

Cons: Watch out for the killer desk and poor wifi

The room

The room was well furnished with modern finish. I couldn't figure out if it was just be being stupid or what but I kept catching my knees on the draws under the desk. The bed was ok, a little soft for me. There is a distinct lack of plugs in the room... if you have more than one device to charge you better bring an extension bar (or asda sell one for £8). In the Executive rooms you get complimentary water and a chocolate every day, and while not the healthiest option, it was tasty never the less. The in room A/C worked very well and kept the room at a nice temperature. There is a mini kitchenette between the entrance hall and the bathroom and this was also well furnished however there was a minibar that was empty... not completely clear if that is intentional or not but it seemed odd. The room was always cleaned to a high standard.

One other bit of advice: if you book an executive room because you would like a nice view, and get assigned room 119 I would ask to swap to another room, the view out the window consists of the wall of the building opposite.. I will try to take a pic and add it to this review later. Also BE ADVISED the internet is not inclusive in this hotel and would have cost me £30 for 3 days! I did 4 separate speed tests on it and never got over 2mb/s download and 0.5 mb/s upload. The manager ended up refunding this cost to me when I complained and I ended up tethering my phone

The bathroom isnt huge but its big enough, although my bathroom made this loud noise everytime you flushed the loo.

The Diner, cafe or what ever its called

i didn't eat at any other time in the hotel except for breakfast which was really nice, bewarned however the difference between a room with breakfast and without breakfast is £20 and you can definitely get cheaper locally.
It was advertised that there was room service, however no menu is in the room to tell you what you can order and how much it will cost.

I did not make use of any of the other hotel facilities.

The location

The hotel is situated approx 10 minutes from the city centre by car, depending on the time of day you head there. Its very easy to find the hotel however be warned that some GPSs try to take you into the industrial estate on the other side. The hotel is marked from the roundabout and you should follow these signs. The hotel is situated with a Sainsbury's on the opposite side of the road so its a 5 minute walk to pick up supplies. The hotel also has ample parking for disabled visitors and other guest too.

The staff

Reception staff were always very helpful and the manager emailed me back when I made a complaint about the internet and refunded the cost of that service so credit there. The nicest member of staff I met was from housekeeping, I think she thought I was a bit mad when I asked her what would cost me £££ to open but very pleasant and clear.

Conclusion:

This is an average hotel with some potential that could become an awesome hotel if things were fixed, like the internet and cost of breakfast. I wouldn't pay the currently advertised rates to stay here, or at least not without complaint. This hotel is not, by far, the worst hotel to stay in and if you need somewhere local to the town centre and dont mind paying slightly more for the privilege then you should book now. The staff feel like they care and hopefully over time some of these annoyances will be ironed out.

To the staff: Please turn room 119 into a store cupboard or a reduced fee exec room because the view is god aweful.

Room Tip: Dont end up in room 119
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Allen S, thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. We read every review and appreciate when our guests can give us feedback on what we done great and maybe where we went a bit wrong or improve on. I am glad you found your room modern and cleaned to a high standard every time and a tasty breakfast. I am sorry the wifi cost has let it down we will be allowing all our IHG reward members free internet from July. I hope we can welcome you back again sooon.

Many thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Holiday Inn Express Gloucester South
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
#11 of 21 in Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham

Been to Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham? Share your experiences!