The Edward Hotel
US$79
US$77
Travelocity
Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$55
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
US$131
US$118
Hatton Court Hotel(Upton St Leonards)
US$107
US$103
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
US$148
US$104
Hatherley Manor(Down Hatherley)
US$110
Hotel Ibis Gloucester(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$60
Agoda.com
Premier Inn Gloucester (Barnwood) Hotel(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
US$84
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Gloucester (Longford) Hotel(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
US$84
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Gloucester(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
US$70
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscity centrecar parkplace matsnepalese chefquirky hotelexcellent breakfastprivate parkingten minute walka ground floor roomchoice of cerealsstayed for one nightbit datedweekend staysingle roomvisit gloucesterbeds were very comfortablefamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights - the only place I could find remotely near Cheltenham that wasn't fully booked due to the races. Price was much cheaper than many hotels in the vicinity. Decor is clean and tidy if a bit tired in places - not to my taste but that's not a criticism. Booked a single room which was clean, comfortable and had everything I needed - en suite, tea and coffee, hairdryer, tv and radio, etc. Room could have been brightened by a colourful throw, likewise bathroom with a cheerful blind, but price sufficiently low to overlook such small niceties. Bed was comfortable, hotel hardly noisy despite being full, and I had a good nights sleep both nights. Shower was hot and water pressure good, despite my room being at the top of the building. Breakfast was very good - choice of continental or full English - had the latter and it was very tasty and not greasy. Free parking - a definite bonus for the area. When I arrived back quite late and asked for a large glass of cold white wine the proprietor advised that unfortunately, the hotel having been full, the fridge had been emptied and the wine was not cold, He therefore put some ice in a glass and filled it with wine- and gave it to me for free! The hotel is not "trendy" and the building itself has stairs going up, down, corridors left and right and up and down again to get to the various rooms, but it's all quaintly sign posted and, despite having a dodgy knee at the time of my visit, I managed very well. For the price I paid I was very happy - I wouldn't choose this accommodation for a romantic weekend or special occasion, but as a base to visit friends in the area it served very well. Would I stay here again - yes. The owners and staff were pleasant and friendly throughout.

Room Tip: I had 28, single on the top floor, not suitable for anyone with mobility problems. Compact but as well as the bed it had hanging space, tv, shelf with kettle, tea, coffee, etc, 4 sockets, hairdryer and a good working shower and loo.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We were very much looking forward to our stay at The Edward Hotel, and paid extra for a "Premium" Room. Unfortunately the room we were originally allocated was under the stairwell on the ground floor and they had a group of maybe 8-10 teenagers staying there. At 12.45am we were awoken by what sounded like a herd of elephants running up and down stairs so the next morning we politely asked to be moved for the rest of our stay, once I was awake the noise from the main road in and out of Gloucester made dropping back off to sleep difficult.

To say we had been downgraded would be an understatement and without explanation, and from what I could tell there was only us and maybe two other couples staying at the Hotel so lack of rooms certainly would not have been an issue. Yes, I could have complained, but right from when we arrived, it did seem like customer satisfaction was not top priority, and to be honest, we were very tired and couldn't be bothered with moving (again!).

It was little things like lack of loo roll, the way the door was answered when we arrived and tired decor it made you feel this was not a stay to be enjoyed, more endured! It actually felt like we weren't welcome.
We nick-named our room "the bedsit", which is how it felt to us, with the TV on a wall stand (which you couldn't turn on/off with the remote, you had to get out of bed), next to the kettle and cups, below being a tired bedside cabinet and very worn stool.
The original room, was much larger, tea making facilities were out of sight, a nice desk, 2 large comfy chairs and large TV. This type room would have been more than adequate, which was what we paid for. It was however on the ground floor at "road level" so you could hear traffic noise.
The saving grace was the breakfast, fantastic local sausages and superb poached eggs. A couple of young ladies who I presumed worked the weekend (only saw them the first morning) had everything under control and we had service with a smile. After that the service changed somewhat. No one was rude, but everything as my title suggests was "average", it actually made us feel a little uncomfortable. There were no "good mornings" or "did you sleep well", or "any nice plans for today" at breakfast.. just "in - eat - out"

If this hotel and the some of the staff were a colour, they would be beige.... all very bland and blah....A smile goes a very long way and costs nothing.

We couldn't wait to get out each morning and certainly didn't want to spend any more time than required in the room.

I must mention the pub down the road - England's Glory, where we ate every day. If the owners of The Edward Hotel would like to see how it's done properly I suggest a visit. Nothing was too much trouble, service with a smile and chat if you wanted one too. Food, service and beer was 10/10!
There's a lack of descent hotels in Gloucester so this was a real shame as we will be back again soon.... Holiday Inn/Premier Inn for us next time we are in Gloucester!

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before taking any luggage from reception and check you are getting the room you have paid for.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juejues
Reviewed 9 November 2013

a great base for touring.Just a 10min walk from city centre.A quirky hotel with good rooms and excellent breakfast.We really enjoyed our stay.We loved the theme of the hotel.Parking can be difficult at busy times but hey it is free!Staff were helpful and informative about Gloucester(places to eat especially) and the surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: lots of stairs but some ground floor accomadation.Rooms worth the climb.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Clean, comfortable, quiet, close to the centre of town, good breakfast, friendly and helpful staff. Free car park at the back of the hotel. Free wifi that worked well for me. Very good value, I thought. Perfect for a short stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2013

England has a wonderful variety of places to stay, and it quite an adventure when travelling around the small country to come across hotels "That are completely different".
This small hotel is obviously a converted house, and is quite easily missed when approached from the busy London Road. Entrance is gained after ringing the front door bell, and then one is introduced to a labyrinth of corridors and staircases. The proprietress was very pleasant and welcoming, and she showed me to my single room at the back of the hotel. I was much reminded of Fawlty Towers, which had stairs going up, around, and then down again to the previous level. Directions to the rooms are shown by painted plates upon the walls, very unusual, and I did get lost a couple of times.
The room itself was small but adequate, and reasonable value for the price.
I would issue a word of warning about the shower. It is very outdated, and lacks a pressure-equalising valve, so that the water changed from cool to scaldingly hot at times during my shower. This should be attended to urgently, as a guest could be dangerously scalded.
All in all, average value, but not suitable for more than one night.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo