What has happened to this hotel in the last year? When we stayed last March in order to attend the Cheltenham Festival we immediately booked again for this year. What a let down. It was tired, grubby and in need of serious renovation.
Initially we were offered an extremely small room which simply wasn't functional and asked to swap. We were moved to a room catering for disabled guests which had the advantage of being larger but the heating wasn't working and we were given a portable heater which omitted such little heat that the room was constantly cold. The room was also situated at the front of the hotel which meant that smokers congregated outside at all hours (the ashtray was thoughlessly fixed on the other side of the wall!) resulting in very little sleep.
We asked to be moved to a third room which turned out to be what we would have expected on arrival. For three nights including the meal deal cost us £408. I know that hotel prices reflected the Cheltenham Festival but it was very expensive for what we had.
The meal deal was a real disappointment. As we enjoyed breakfast so much last year we decided to take in the evening meal as well. In our ignorance we assumed we would be selecting from the main menu. This unfortunately wasn't the case as the meal deal choices appeared on a totally separate menu which we had to ask for (we were told that very few guests staying at the Premier Inn ate from the meal deal menu and indeed there were only four copies available in the whole of the restaurant.)
The menu was extremely limited and the included drink (we had the red wine) tasted disgusting. We had run out of anything we liked by the second night so we ate in Cheltenham for our third meal which having paid for a meal already rather went against the whole point of the meal deal.
The only saving grace was the staff, both in the hotel and the Oakwood Restaurant,in particular the two ladies who served at breakfast. They were always cheerful, welcoming and helpful.
Sadly, although we shall be attending the Cheltenham Festival again next year we will not be staying here. We have already booked in at the Hilton.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the quaint village of Twigworth, near Hartpury College and the Nature in Art museum ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Premier Inn and Agoda so you can book your Premier Inn Gloucester (Twigworth) Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Premier Inn Gloucester North Hotel Gloucester
- Premier Inn Gloucester (Twigworth) Hotel Gloucestershire