“A 14th Century treasure"”

The New Inn-Relaxinnz
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
lincoln
“A 14th Century treasure"”
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Found New Inn only week before due to travel ,yes will be honest booked it as it was good value for money bearing in mind we were only staying for 1 night before moving on to a ball at another establishment.

Must admit we were quite concerned when we read previous reviews but thought we would see for ourselves.

On arriving wha struck us was the magic of this inn/hotel which is was so charismatic and oozing charm and history we were quite pleasantly surprised ......Yes it is old with uneven floors and narrow stairs but my response to that is go and stay in a concrete nightmare somewhere with genuine MDF and plastic fittings .

Check in went smoothly greeted by deputy manager(little richard) could nt have been more welcoming our room was on the front (207)clean ,tidy,smelt fresh,large bathroom ....ideal
Our friends however when they got to their room it wasnt ready (bed unchanged ,dirty towels on bed and bottle of half drunk water on the side ) but rather than kick off as previous guests had done they made a joke of it with reception and were rewarded with Lady Grey suite .

Bar served proper ales and Stowford press cider so we were settled for the night ,friends who lived locally came to join us for a meal in the restaurant which i must say was good value for money ,mant 2 for £10 deals even including the carvery in that : although carvery did run out of meat.

Staff : what an amazing bunch of people special thanks to big Richard for making our stay so memorable but the team all rallied round and we felt like we had known them for ever (just one female bar staff who obviously had things on hermind and found it very difficult to smile ) but that was only 1 .

After a wonderful evening retired to bed ,no untoward noise to complain about :beds comfortable only thing had to sleep with bathroom light on as i had spooked myself with the tales of sittings of old ladys of days gone by ......

Breakfast excellent ;plentiful ,fresh and hot

Car park situation;£2..50 for 24 hour period and close by in a secure car park .

Location brilliant right in the middle of shopping area really handy .

All in all a fantastic stay will definately stay again and highly recommend this to others only thing i would say it may not be suitable for people with limited mobility due to narrowness of the stairs and is not wheelchair friendly but then again it is a 14th century inn.

Hey guys dont change a thing; hope to see you again next year !

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank hsmith427

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

This place was a first for me as I have traveled all over the world, including to some not very nice places in Asia and Eastern Europe, but I have never before been given a room where the bed still had the soiled sheets from the previous occupants. God it was gross!

Check-in was from 14:00 and we arrived just a little later to be told there was a problem with not enough rooms being available. Nothing to do with over booking, just lots of guests had run off with room keys. Really? Only one set of keys per room? None for housekeeping? No multi service bar available in the city to get more keys?

Eventually we were allocated a room and dropped the case off before going to the bar for a drink. I must say, I'm always a bit nervous of small pub/hotels but was reassured by the fact that this was sold as having a rack rate of just short of £200 a night, but offered at £49. I have to say that if someone every manged to persuade anyone to pay that money I would personally sponsor them to compete for a place on the Apprentice, because Lord sugar could really do with that sales person! So, the price is artificially hiked to make it appear the accommodation is of better quality than it is - I have no idea if that is the policy of the operating company or the booking site, but it is just plain wrong.

So back to the bar; On the table next to us was a group of contractors who had just finished work and they we complaining that they had gone to their rooms and found that their things had been moved out without any consultation (there were spare keys for that then!). During the course of their complaints it became clear that one had been removed from the room we had been allocated (another point here about the pricing comment above - I must get a job with the contracting company that puts their guys in a £200 a night hotel!).

The next person we met was a lady who was complaining that she had been waiting 3 hours to be allocated a room. I forget the reason she was given, but I do recall it was a real eye roller. She also complained that when she did get in she found that the TV didn't work and so the staff had to get her one from elsewhere.

So, off to bed. Opened the room and turned on the TV, or rather we didn't because it didn't work . I wonder where they got the one for the lady who complained? Still, not to worry, not bothered about TV and want to sleep so we pull back the sheets and they were crumpled and filthy. I don't mean a little bit grubby, I mean contractor finishing work dirty, straight in bar and then straight to bed with wellies still on filthy. The towels were also used and damp.

To the credit of the staff they sorted this straight away and I must stress that all the staff in this establishment are great and doing their best. It is the owners/operators who need to sort themselves out.

So to bed, and the wedding party going on exactly under the window! I must say that this was not problem, if you are in a place that does functions you expect it and put up with it, and it didn't go on that long. What did go on was the noise from the water pipes, which was horrendous and never stopped.

And then the breakfast. All I will say is not the best I've had and leave it at that.

In summary - Great location, really really good staff, but the operators need to get themselves sorted.

6 Thank Steve A
NewInnGloucester, Manager at The New Inn-Relaxinnz, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Hello to all once more,

What can I say, we messed up and made a proper job of it.

I take great comfort in the knowledge that staff were acknowledged for their hard work and attitude.

We apologise for the distress and upset caused to you our guest.
We are determined to learn from this and look forward to showing you all on TA as we improve and take the business forward.

I wish you all well (with a heavy heart) in TA land, where ever you are.

Mark, GM.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Québec (ville), Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stayed in Gloucester for one night at the New Inn. The place exudes great charm with its medieval inner courtyard, various bars and restaurants, outside corridors and impressive history. The staff is very nice and helpful. However, there are a few shortcomings : first, the rooms (at least the Lady Jane Grey Suite) need upgrading. It had a flat screen TV and the bathroom was OK, but the decor was awful, the furniture was cheap and uncomfortable and the windows did not open properly. The free buffet breakfast was not good at all : canned beans, bad eggs, frozen sausages, and bad coffee. And of course, having a room over a main street rendered it extremely noisy between 10PM and 2AM. Overall an interesting stay for one night, but a longer stay would have been more difficult for a family.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank pascpat4
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Let’s start with the positive, the New Inn is one of the few remaining galleried pubs left in England, also this large pub/restaurant/ hotel is located right in the heart of Gloucester, but that does present problems as there is not car parking, the pub downstairs seems to attract a few strange characters and the hole place was rudder dingy, we expected several really ales but there it was only one beer available could best bitter and the bar made couldn’t even identify the brewery. So it was with some intrepidation that we checked into our rooms upstairs. Our room was very large but the carpet was full of unidentified stains of very hideous colours, the whole place felt rudder unloved, sort of shabby is the best word.
Breakfast was again disappointed with even the toast kept under heat lamps, that said the waitress was very friendly and did offer to put fresh food out for us.
The whole place could be something really special but may be they haven’t got the customers for it although we did find a very friendly, well run pub just down the rd.

1 Thank 02Falcon
NSW
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We had a lovely night at this very old hotel. The atmosphere was so warm and inviting as soon as we walked in the courtyard looking for reception. Our room was up two narrow flights of stairs but when we opened the door we were very pleasantly surprised - large refurbished twin room, bathroom is the biggest we have had in four weeks of travel with the added bonus of a bath. Beds were clean and comfortable, tea, coffee, biscuits, milk all supplied. Free wifi was a bit hit and miss but it gave us what we needed for the night. Our window would open to allow fresh air. We had a little bit of noise from the pedestrian mall but that soon subsided. There were good block out curtains at the window. Breakfast was included for the 60 pounds we paid. The dining room was very atmospheric and service nice with choice of cereals and juices, tea, coffee and a buffet cooked breakfast with plenty of choice. Meals are served in the restaurant and the menu looked good with pricing not over the top. The only draw back is there is no on site parking but you can park in a very close parking station for two pounds, the hotel validates your parking ticket to give discount parking rate. You can drive up to the back of the hotel to drop off bags etc then just head straight up a ramp and into the parking area - not a big hassle. This hotel is right in the middle of the pedestrian mall so very convenient position. Would love to stay here again.

3 Thank DianeNSW
Leicster
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Arrived at reception and the person on there was so sorry as she was trying to sort out what she said was her office!! We had booked two rooms. and were given key to the Oak Suite. and room 217 for our daughter. We asked if they could be closer and together as room 217 was miles away from us. The reception looked and said, I have a double opposite the Oak Suite but it is a double and you have booked a twin for the second room. I said ok. that will be ok then to which she then said; oh you cant have that as I have just given the key to someone??? By the way when we went to the Oak Suite we were greeting by full ashtrays on the balcony and also a man smoking directly outside of the bedroom!! The room to the laundry room was also next door with the door open which was not a pretty sight. By this time we had taken our bags to the Oak Suite, and checked out room 217, however we decided to have a drink in the bar. Apparently there are 4 bars but we could only find the one? It was foul!! Full of what someone else has described as being 'low lifes', their words not mine!. The bar staff were surly to say the least and seemed to enjoy swearing, yes swearing along with the individuals in the bar, who they seemed to know, and yes the F word was used on a number of occasions!! By the way, the floor was sticky. and the bar mats were sodden and the place smelled of stale beer and felt tacky and unclean.
I am not surprised it would attract these types especially with the 'ripe' language from the staff and what we assume were local clientelle? I would definately not take your children here!! We were so dissapointed as we love the older premises and family establishments of which we have stayed in many a time all over the country, so we do appreciate sloping floors, quirky rooms etc. We went for a walk around town and found a small establishment, with clearn rooms, clean public areas and fantastic bar and reception staff. Needless to say we moved out immediately and will never return to the New Inn. If you have children do not stay here as the language from the staff and also the local clientelle is awfull. This place could be the jewel in Gloucestshire but the management need to get to grips with the staff and maybe provide some training in customer service etc. We returned to the New Inn to collect our bags and to say how upset we were. At reception I was greeted, once she had finished speaking to some local around the corner in the "restuarant"!! I told her of our dissatisfaction and she said that she couldn't do anything about it as she was not high enough up the management chain and then proceeded to give me a telephone number to contact as there were no management available at that time. She also stated to me "well if it was me with all these issues then I would not be happy either"!! Does that tell you something?? I could go on and on but am beginning to feel very sad having to write such a scathing review on here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank MHJLeics
NewInnGloucester, Manager at The New Inn-Relaxinnz, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Hello to all once more.

I thought the public never fail to amaze or disappoint us. This review has been posted by a disgruntled guest who wasn't happy that we couldn't put him and his daughter in adjoining rooms. Unfortunately due to the age and layout of the building this wasn't possible, we did try and explain this to the guest at the time.

Due to not being able to do this, the guest decided not to stay and threatened us with a "scathing review", if we didn't give him a refund. As said at the time sir "we are not here to be bullied or intimidated".
(We were going to contest this review but to be honest I think the public needs to know about reviews such as this)

We wish you and your 23 year old daughter well, and thank you for your feedback.

Thank you to all our guests for your feedback as it is from such feedback that we learn and take our business forward.

God Bless to all TA travelers, where ever you are.

Mark, Samantha and Team
West Bromwich
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My husband and myself stayed here overnight on Saturday August 13th to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and his birthday, so wanted something special. On arrival at reception we recieved a warm and friendly welcome. We stayed in the Oak Suite which has a four poster bed, the room was spotless, and I did check as I had read negative feedback on here before we went, the en-suite was also spotless. We had a few drinks in the bar before venturing around the shops and again found the staff to be extremely friendly. During the evening we went to the hotel restaurant and found the food and service exceptional . We didnt think much of the band they had in the pub during the evening so we popped to another pub till later returning for a 'night cap' . Our room was above the courtyard so we expected some noise as we had our window open, however, it never bothered us. The buffet style breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice, however it would have been nice if they had black pudding and mushrooms, but that is the only negative thing I can say about our stay, and I cannot wait to return .

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RachelBridgewood
NewInnGloucester, Manager at The New Inn-Relaxinnz, responded to this review, 20 August 2011
Hello to all once more.

It is nice to receive such a lovely review, it definitely increases team spirit and makes a hard job feel worthwhile.

I was going to say that I felt that I spent more time on TA defending our little Inn rather than acknowledging the hard work that the team and we do. We know that every day presents a new challenge and take great pride in overcoming it and moving forward.

Please to all our friends and guests, if we don't get it right please let us know so we can make it right for you. To the other few that try to blackmail us into refunding your rooms because they're next door to each other, (as happened today!), I would ask you not to. We are a small family run business that thrives on our hard work.

I hope you all have a brilliant Bank Holiday Weekend, where ever you travel in the world.

Thank you and god bless.

Mark & Samantha and all the team.