“Looked forward to historic building, got filth.”

The New Inn-Relaxinnz
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Los Angeles, California
“Looked forward to historic building, got filth.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

After reading glowing reviews about how old and full of character and charm the New Inn had, my boyfriend and I were looking forward to our stay.

Having stayed in an old Georgian Inn in Hay-on-Wye a few days prior and a Victorian house in Penarth, we appreciate older properties with quirky features(uneven floors, exposed beams, etc). All that excitement vanished when we entered the New Inn. After having to find an employee to check us in(in the pub of all places), we were a bit annoyed but not overly so. We were happy to have a place to stay near the Gloucester Cathedral(which is stunning).

Upon entering room 214, we realized that there were many issues. My heart sank as I realized we had to stay the night. I didn't mind the uneven floors, decor or the exposed beams. I find those details to be special and make staying in an old property unique. However, upon entering the room we found ourselves killing half a dozen fruit flies(?). The thought of them flying overhead as we slept made us uncomfortable, so we did our best to find them all before we slept.

The carpet looked like it hadn't been cleaned in about a week. I've never actually seen a dirtier carpet in a hotel(new or old). I was scared to take my shoes off and decided to wear 2 pairs of socks so I wouldn't be in contact with the filthy carpet. The carpet is dark so it was easy to see gray dust everywhere, along with other lint and crumbs. Stains were present also, but I didn't feel bothered by them as I did from the even layer of dirt sitting on the carpet. Maybe the vacuum used is just really weak?

Having taken pictures of every hotel I've ever stayed in(for memories), I took none. I didn't want to remember the filth. In hindsight, I wish I had, to show future customers that I am not being picky. My boyfriend, who worked in a hotel a few years ago when he was in college, was equally appalled.

When we entered the bathroom we noticed that it was dirty. At the base of the electric shower panel, there was a thick layer of crusty orange growth. It was at least 6 inches long and looked hard. This couldn't have grown in one day and I imagine it has been here for a few weeks. I've never seen that in my life and there is no excuse for it. Rust is one thing, but this was thick and crusty.

Lastly, just a tip for anyone who still wants to stay in this room, number 214. The pub is directly underneath so you will hear dance music until about 11pm(on Thursday anyway). We were tired, but decided to watch TV until the pub closed. Luckily it did so around 11pm, so we were able to sleep. If you need to sleep earlier than 11pm, just bring earplugs.

Having read responses from the management, the condition of this room makes sense. They do not graciously answer to complaints, they just respond in a defensive manner. At the forefront of customer service is taking in criticism with an open mind, not an aggressive and angry attitude. Maybe because the rates are low, we shouldn't expect a better attitude or service? When I see rude management I just run the other way, which I should have done when I read reviews prior to booking.

As I only stayed in room 214, I can only recommend that you not stay in this room, for the reasons I listed. I do not know about the condition of the other rooms (and why have *one* dirty room and many clean rooms?). The noise was acceptable(including the loud pigeons in the morning), but the filth was not deserving, even at the low room rate. We didn't try the complimentary breakfast, considering the filth we experienced. I did not want to tempt fate and get sick.

Another tip: Figure out where you will park, before you get to the hotel. Since the hotel is located in a pedestrianised area, you have to know where to park before getting to the hotel. Parking is not obvious, so a little research beforehand will save you from driving around in a circle.

The lessons I Iearned from this experience are to pay more for a room and run the other way when management responds to complaints in a defensive and rude way.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, do not stay in room 214. Room and bathroom is filthy and it is above the pub...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lecitroen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

my partner and I decided to go away for the weekend, and chose the 'New Inn Hotel' based mainly on it's location and appearance.
Parking was initially difficult, but after asking the staff at reception (who got out a map and directed us to the closest parking area) everything was fine. Our parking ticket was validated so It was far cheaper.

Our room was just right, We both loved the uneven floors and the bed was so comfortable. It had character. The whole building was beautiful. After shopping we spent the rest of the day in the room, and at the hotel having a drink and eating. The food was good/average.

The help from the staff and this unique and charming hotel made our stay.
Thank you so much.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MrsLlama19
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

With the lowest expectation from a hotel you will have a good time here. Wow factor on arrival! Amazing courtyard..., and convenient location: 2 stars.
Then you go upstairs to your room where you find thick layer of dust on the radiator and windowledges.
With all the wood-frames crooked, the windows stay ajar.
Spider webs in the ceiling corners.
Bath curtain not been cleaned for ages.
No phone in the room so if you need anything you have to come all the way downstairs, and wait at the restaurant for a few minutes to find someone.
Staff very friendly but not been trained AT ALL.
Go and visit, have a drink at the bar but I won't recommend staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: we tried 203. floor so crooked that we couldn't put a glass or mobile phons on the side tables...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ZJonesLondon

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

County Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

Stayed here last weekend for a Rugby match and as long as you are aware it is an old building its fine. Only 1 of our party had a problem as he was not aware there was no lifts. we also had a meal on the Friday evening and everyone (11 People) had a good meal. I did not use the bar so cant comment. Found the few staff we came in to contact with polite and helpful if we ever go back to Gloucester again would have no problem staying here, the only comment I would make is maybe have a light over the side gate to get in at night.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Udon Thani
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

After many years of admiring the beautiful building I eventually stayed for a night.
Walk in rates for the place were pretty pricey (well, for my pocket) but I needed to spend a night in Gloucester & found an excellent deal on the net & so went for it.
As I was traveling by train it was a good location, parking a car is a bit more of a city issue though.
Fantastic central location & the restaurant looked busy, although I did not try it. It was excellent at breakfast though, with self service cooked, but with not too much food served at any time, so always fresh.
The building is a dream, a real throw back to stage coach traveling days with the enclosed court yard.
Worth a look even if not staying there & I would certainly be very happy to stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank bob_helm
Hitchin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

Hotel itself was great value for money - good standard rooms and hearty breakfast served in homely dining room. Whole place was v historic and atmospheric, and well located.
Only gripe: 2 goldfish in 2 large wine glasses behind bar, clearly for 'novelty factor', but an unoxygenised big wine glass is really not a nice way to keep them.
2 birds in one cage upstairs too, didn't look too happy - I hope they're let out occasionally!

Room Tip: away from wooden staircase if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

I recently arranged a mid week break for my mother and her friend at the New Inn Gloucester as I wanted a central location so she could explore Gloucester on foot. What an amazing place ! It was like stepping back in time to what can only be described as a Harry Potter mystical courtyard !! The hotel has been around for 600 years so has all the character and detail that the big chains lack . The place is seeped in history and the managers seemed only too happy to share some stories with my mum.
The restaurant boasts a great menu serving British pub food at great value with friendly service , the pace was relaxed and service genuine . She had an amazing time ,so I would like to thank the team for taking such care for her and would recommend this hidden delight to any fans of olde England !!! 5 stars in my opinion

Room Tip: All rooms have very unique character and charm but the Lady Jane Grey suite is worth a peek !
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family