“Our favourite for years but time to move on...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The New Inn-Relaxinnz

The New Inn-Relaxinnz
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Alsager, England, United Kingdom
“Our favourite for years but time to move on...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We have been staying at The New Inn for many years and it has always been great but sadly our last visit was so disappointing we won't be staying again. Over the last few years there has been a regular turnaround of staff/owners/management but every time the staff have been welcoming and helpful and the basis of our complaints for our last visit are not directed at them, apart from one.
When we arrived I went to reception to book in, the reception staff were sat in the lounge area of reception (I thought they were guests!) one young lady got up and greeted me and progressed to 'checking' me in by leaning rather awkwardly over/across the reception desk, very unprofessional! Next I was to find out that guests can no longer park free of charge in the car park adjacent to the hotel, if you want free parking you have to park about 10 minutes walk away. We usually have a toddler with us, so that is a great inconvenience for us. The room, The Oak Suite, was extremely poor and I would have rather saved my money and booked a double room. It was poorly laid out, the couches were so dated and broken they looked like they had retrieved them from a skip! The wardrobe was very poor quality and broken too, all in all the furniture let this room down greatly. Our final big disappointment was the fact that breakfast on a Sunday was over at 9.30! I am sure on our previous visits it was 10.30 or at least 10am, we felt that this was ridiculously early for a Sunday. So sadly, The New Inn, with all its beautiful characteristics has let itself down and we will be moving on to The New County.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Erica S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

This hotel is the real thing - apparently the best preserved example of a galleried coaching inn in Britain, together with original meat hooks from the time when guests brought their own food, for fear of being poisoned! To me this authenticity made up for a few slightly less than perfect details. Reception was closed when I tried to check in - the owners seem to be running the place on a skeleton staff so the poor receptionist was also running the bar and serving breakfast the following morning, cheerfully. The first part of the corridor leading to my room had no lighting but I managed to negotiate the uneven floors and steps without tripping. The (single) room itself was quite large, clean and adequately furnished (tv table from Ikea?) The bed was comfortable but with a very thin cover. This was ok because the room was very warm, and I slept well. The windows opened on to Northgate Street but I wasn't disturbed by noise during the night. The doors are of the cheap modern torsion box variety. The bathroom was clean, large and tiled although there were no shelves to put a wash bag on. There was plenty of hot water and good pressure in the shower. The extractor fan didn't work and one light bulb in the bedroom had blown. The flat-screen TV was small and offered freeview. There were a few stains on the carpet. The cooked breakfast arrived very quickly the following morning and was ok - good coffee, although I had to get up, walk to the bar and fill it up myself each time, and good bacon but a very cheap catering-pack sausage. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the bar had a good range of real ales. (Maybe that's why I slept well....) I'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Salamagundy
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Positives:
Very close to city centre, room was spacious, when room was tidied up the first morning, someone had put my roses in a bucket of water which was a very kind thought. Parking (although a ten minute walk away) was subsidised so was £7 for 2 days.

Negatives:
Room was too hot, window couldn't be opened properly and when it was open, noisy (and I mean noisy) revellers from the pub below kept us awake until after midnight. When I asked, receptionist said everyone complains about the heat... clearly nothing has or will be done about this. In the dining room, there were fans attached to the lights which created a cooling breeze... surely these could be installed in the bedrooms? Room was also above kitchen extractor fan which went on at 7:30am! Asked at reception for a quieter room, was told by receptionist 'I think we're fully booked tonight but I'll have a look for you' then proceeded not to look at anything at all! Breakfast was adequate at best... baked beans looked more like baked bullets except they were not as tasty! Egg on the second morning was very underdone.
There was a constant hum and sound of running water throughout the night which again kept me awake after the pub customers had left.
Can't complain via Relaxinnz website as it's currently down for maintenance but I will be writing to them.
Whilst I enjoyed visiting Gloucester, I would definitely stay elsewhere next time.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

For my birthday, my boyfriend took me away for the week. Being from manchester, i love the tranquility of gloucester and its surrounding areas. Overall, we had a great week. The location is amazing. Right in the city centre but because of the courtyard, it somehow feels slightly apart from the bustle of every day life. So easy to nip out to get a bite to eat or do a bit of shopping...everything from debenhams to river island right on your doorstep.

Service was great too. Lovely, helpful staff...both the hotel staff and the waitresses. We couldnt get the TV to work at first (only because it wasnt plugged in, not faulty) and 2 members of staff were more than happy to help. Everyone was very welcoming and it felt very homely.

Breakfast every morning was yummy. Quick service and a good selection of cereal, toast, yogurt and an english breakfast...all cooked well. We had a carvery one day as well. Was really impressed with this. The turkey wasn't at all dry and was really tasty. Good selection of vegetables, nice gravy etc. Only £18 for 2 carverys and 2 drinks. Not bad!

A few problems: the maid came on friday (we arrived thursday) to make the bed. Boyfriend was asleep so she said she would come back later. Unfortunately she never did and actually never came for the rest of the stay. We had no toilet roll for a long time and had to ask at reception for some more! No fresh towels. The bed was a bit uncomfortable but i would definitely be willing to pay a bit more for a better mattress because the hotel is actually really good. Saturday night was quite noisy as the pub in the courtyard was quite busy. This could be down to the positioning of our room though, as it was right next to the pub. Would be good if the breakfast hours were extended until 10 instead of 9 (some of us like to sleep in).

TV worked well. good shower and good sized bath. Loads and loads of storage and i loved the dressing table with mirror! Kettle, cups, tea and coffee were all supplied which was lovely.

Overall we both had a great week and would definitely go back. Very good value for money but would be willing to pay a bit extra if things like a better mattress was available.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cannock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Booked for one Saturday evening. The building is an old coaching inn and as such is full of character. There is wonderfully atmospheric courtyard. the rooms are good, but could do with a good deep cleanse maybe. the carpets were a bit worse for wear, there was a layer of dust on the skirting boards, and the there were things like the lampshades in the dining hall, were all scorched !! few little things but would make a such a difference if done. The place is perfectly situated right in the middle of the town centre. There is no on site parking and as the area is pedestrianized around it, so you will have to park and carry your cases to the hotel. There is entertainment in the bars, which I guess can get rowdy and noisy, at week-ends, and if you were after a get away from it all break, maybe this would not suit you. All in all a good place, with character.

Room Tip: You can not park anywhere near the hotel, and so be prepared to walk 5 mins or more with your cases...