“Works outing”

The New Inn-Relaxinnz
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
“Works outing”
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Where to start !!! I was nearly sick when I went to the men's toilet the smell was vile!! The staff were miserable and when I came back on the night time I was on my own as I got spilt up with the person I was sharing the room with and when I asked for a spare room key I was told that I wasn't allowed one as the other guy had the key and when I started to ask why I wasn't allowed to be let in my room he started to complain that I was drunk and I should shut up and sit in the corner and wait for my friend to come back !!!!! I wasn't drunk but he was being a nob but luckily one other of my friends come back and I had to stay in his room!!!! Not a place I would be going back to its a crap pit!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lee W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Very pleased with our stay. At approx. £50 per double room with breakfast you could not have asked for more. The room was lovely and warm and bathroom nice and clean other than the grouting round bath area could have been cleaner. TV was an old model with a free view box but it was an excellent picture. Corridors up and down but this is what you get in such a old building. If you want modern with all the trimmings then this may not be the place for you - we loved it. Parking 5 mins walk away at £3.50 per 24 hrs with a ticket from reception - brilliant. Definitely going back next year to the Xmas Market. See you their.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here over a year ago and really enjoyed it, so when I saw the Lady Jane Grey suite (four poster bed) available on booking .com for £74 inc breakfast I thought it was a good deal.
We checked in and were asked to pay up front !
Last time was when we checked out.
the room was average, nothing like as nice as the standard double we had last time.
There were no soaps , shampoos or shower gels. We asked in reception on our way out, and were told that the delivery never showed up for the hotel. We said well we look like some in our room when we return. We were given four shower gels later.
We bathed and got ready for bed, only to find one tea bag. went to ring reception and realised these rooms don't have phones, not good if you are alone and need help.
My husband got redressed and went down to reception about 11pm to find it all shut up. he had to go the busy bar (Saturday night). The duty manager said he would send some up when he had finished pulling pints... they did arrive about half an hour later. Apparently they have now shortened the breakfast times as well. It finishes at 9.30am , seems early for a Sunday morning. Luckily for us we need to be out by then. I will not be coming back here under its current management . Such a shame as it is a beautiful historical building, but it cannot keep hinging all its return business on this fact alone...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

birmingham
Reviewed 30 November 2013

the staff seem ok but not enough to cover hotel , bar and resurant. Tv not working and no staff avalible to sort it out. Hotel very noisy from bar even late into night. Wall paper and electrical fittings hanging of wall, carpet dirty.

• Stayed November 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This isn't much of a review, considering we didn't eat there or stay there, but we stumbled upon it while walking through Gloucester. I gave it a 4 because of the historical significance of the place, in that Lady Jane Gray was pronounced queen from their balcony. There's some information about it's history on the wall of the entry way that's worth taking a few minutes to stop and read.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bekki L
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

On the plus side...a simply unique experience in a piece of real English history. Nice room..."Oak Suite"...clean, dated, funky, nice 4 poster...very central location...
But such a great pity that with staff trying their best, many of the basics are missing...cash only in bar for drinks and food...only one small bar of soap and no shampoo...and why oh why does the TV in the bar (under the room) need to be so loud, so late and then early in the morning too? Check out by 10am?! Breakfast ok...limited choice...but ok for price. Address these relatively simple issues and you could charge twice the amount.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Alsager, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We have been staying at The New Inn for many years and it has always been great but sadly our last visit was so disappointing we won't be staying again. Over the last few years there has been a regular turnaround of staff/owners/management but every time the staff have been welcoming and helpful and the basis of our complaints for our last visit are not directed at them, apart from one.
When we arrived I went to reception to book in, the reception staff were sat in the lounge area of reception (I thought they were guests!) one young lady got up and greeted me and progressed to 'checking' me in by leaning rather awkwardly over/across the reception desk, very unprofessional! Next I was to find out that guests can no longer park free of charge in the car park adjacent to the hotel, if you want free parking you have to park about 10 minutes walk away. We usually have a toddler with us, so that is a great inconvenience for us. The room, The Oak Suite, was extremely poor and I would have rather saved my money and booked a double room. It was poorly laid out, the couches were so dated and broken they looked like they had retrieved them from a skip! The wardrobe was very poor quality and broken too, all in all the furniture let this room down greatly. Our final big disappointment was the fact that breakfast on a Sunday was over at 9.30! I am sure on our previous visits it was 10.30 or at least 10am, we felt that this was ridiculously early for a Sunday. So sadly, The New Inn, with all its beautiful characteristics has let itself down and we will be moving on to The New County.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple