“Nice building”

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
UK
“Nice building”
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

6 of us stayed here for New Year's Eve.
We stayed in four poster bed suite, while our friends stayed in standard rooms. We only paid £5 extra for it.
Our room was big and spacious. It is interesting and full of characters. But that also means it needs some work done as well. Still, we knew that would be the case when we booked here. So, no complaint from us. Standard rooms where our friends stayed are very small, according to them.
So, £5 extra well spent.
Breakfast was ok.
Check-in and check-out no issue at all.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed twice now and cant fault it, price is good for bed and breakfast, We stay in lady grey suite big bath, big room, lovely and warm in room, Breakfast was nice, lovely staff. Wish we could visit more. See you soon New inn. Xx

• Stayed December 2013
redruth
Reviewed 20 December 2013

A beautiful building. staff were helpful, the first room we were given had a leaking hole in the bathroom ceiling (room 101) and the tv didn't work so we asked to be moved. to be honest this room shouldn't be rented out with that ceiling !!
The next room we were given was much better and very comfortable, the cleaners need to clean under the beds and occasionally clean under the furniture as when I moved the bedside cabinet it was very dirty underneath. I was a little annoyed that I was told the bar would be open to 11 but when I went down for a pint at 10 it was shut !! however they were quiet and it was sunday night. when I was in the bar earlier in the day I asked for a slice of lemon or lime in my drink and was told "sorry" we don't have any it was very busy yesterday!! well here is a tip for you.... walk down the road and go and buy some more !!! The price was about £50 for a twin room including breakfast so considering that you cant really complain too much.. if the prices stay this low then I would make a return trip. but just remember the rooms are very "tired"

Room Tip: do not have room 101 unless the hole in the ceiling has been fixed !!
Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

All our family stayed at this hotel taking five rooms for a celebratory birthday and we were all delighted with the location and charm of the New Inn. We have all stayed in up-to-date modern business hotels which are nearly all alike, so this hotel was like a breath of fresh air We all thought that at £50 approx per room for bed and breakfast this was a good deall and although the food was not exceptional, none of us went hungry. This hotel is in a great location for anyone wishing to visit Gloucester as it is right in the main street.

Room Tip: All rooms seems to vary in size and shape which in itself is a novelty these days and often there ar...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This is such a lovely place full of history and charm - this being the main reason for choosing to stay here. The courtyard is full of character and unfortunately it ends there. We ended up wandering around the courtyard looking for reception, much to the amusement of the local inebriates who seem to frequent the place all day. Once found, the receptionist could barely be bothered to look me in the eye and told us the room number without telling us the directions (back outside, up the steps, along the balcony, through the door, down the corridor). Once in our room i was pleasantly surprised - although the rooms are pretty tired and in dire need of refurbishment, the place was spotless. Beds were very comfy but flimsy pillows and duvets (no spares) and we had a tv that didn't work. Its such a shame that no character or history has been factored into the decor of the place. Its all abit random, naff and old fashioned. Definitely not luxurious, despite them saying so in their guest information folder (wishful thinking). Check out was much the same as check in, barely any conversation with receptionist, no 'did you enjoy your stay?'. I get the sense that the staff couldn't give a monkey's about their guests so on that basis we skipped breakfast and ate elsewhere. In the right hands this place could be brought back to life, instead the current owners are killing any character this place has left. Such a massive shame (on them)

• Stayed December 2013

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Where to start !!! I was nearly sick when I went to the men's toilet the smell was vile!! The staff were miserable and when I came back on the night time I was on my own as I got spilt up with the person I was sharing the room with and when I asked for a spare room key I was told that I wasn't allowed one as the other guy had the key and when I started to ask why I wasn't allowed to be let in my room he started to complain that I was drunk and I should shut up and sit in the corner and wait for my friend to come back !!!!! I wasn't drunk but he was being a nob but luckily one other of my friends come back and I had to stay in his room!!!! Not a place I would be going back to its a crap pit!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lee W
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Very pleased with our stay. At approx. £50 per double room with breakfast you could not have asked for more. The room was lovely and warm and bathroom nice and clean other than the grouting round bath area could have been cleaner. TV was an old model with a free view box but it was an excellent picture. Corridors up and down but this is what you get in such a old building. If you want modern with all the trimmings then this may not be the place for you - we loved it. Parking 5 mins walk away at £3.50 per 24 hrs with a ticket from reception - brilliant. Definitely going back next year to the Xmas Market. See you their.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple