“Beautiful historic hotel but needs money spent on it”

The New Inn-Relaxinnz
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Merthyr Tydfil
“Beautiful historic hotel but needs money spent on it”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here for 2nd time last night, and we rarely stay in an hotel twice. The New Inn is a beautiful, historic building built approximately in 1455 and Lady Jane Grey was actually staying here when the proclamation of her succession to the British throne was made from the Inn galley. The building takes my breath away it is so amazing and I feel privilaged that it is an hotel and I had the opportunity to stay here. My husband and I paid £44 for a standard room with breakfast which is extremely cheap. When we arrived we had been upgraded to the Oak Suite a gorgeous oak panelled room with a four poster bed, we felt very lucky. I didn't feel so lucky later when the karaoke was still going on very late, we definately had no peace until after midnight but honestly if that was the price to pay for staying in that room I was prepared to pay it. There was no hot water when we arrived which was unfortunate has my husband had just run 5 miles in a road race and was sweaty and in need of a bath, but we boiled the kettle a few times and he had an old fashioned strip wash. Yes the hotel does need investment, big investment I guess and yes our carpet was stained but to be honest we didn't care about that. I feel so sad it is getting bad reviews, the staff we met were friendly and helpful and we want to come back and stay in the Lady Jane Grey room. This hotel is central, very near the cathedral and very very old, perhaps people staying here should appreciate the history and price and not look for things to complain about.

Room Tip: Pay more for the 4 poster bed rooms - only stay in the Oak room if you like late nights
Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rainbirds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 7 February 2014

My stay was NOT good. I emailed the manager afterwards, asking for a reply within five days. I haven't had one. The text of my complaint is below. It's a shame - this is a magnificent building managed VERY badly.
---------
Dear Manager of New Inn Gloucester,

I stayed with you last night in room 207. I was very disappointed, to say the least, with my stay. Perhaps you will allow me to explain why.

The minor points:
1. The carpet in room 207 is filthy.
2. The windows in room 207 rattle in the wind - I had to pack them with coffee sachets to stop the noise.
3. The duvet in room 207 is best described as a "summer" duvet. Very thin indeed. I was cold in the night and there was no extra bedding in the room.
4. The sheets didn't fit the bed - the matress was on show.
5. The dryer in the bathroom of room 207 is broken. And the safety certificate on it is significantly out of date.
6. The wall in room 207 has a large crack and several stains near the door.
7. One of the ceiling bulbs in room 207 is missing. Not blown. Missing.
8. Room 207 has no coathooks anywhere.
9. There is no guest information in room 207. I had no idea of any of the facilities provided in the hotel.
10. The choice of cereal at brekfast is politely described as "limited" and the quality "poor". I suspect it was supermarket own brand, possibly "value" standard.

Now perhaps you will allow me to explain my major gripes:
1. Room 207 looks out onto the courtyard, from where there was a LOT of noise throughout the evening. I don't expect silence, but nor do I expect the noise of people shouting and music from the bar to overpower the television in my room and to blast through my earplugs (thank goodness I brought some!) until the early hours. I cannot remember a less relaxing night in a hotel room. Quite ironic given that it is a "RelaxInnz" hotel.
2. When I booked the room, I was very clear that I would need to leave, having had breakfast, by 8am. This was due to a prior appointment. I asked that if this was not possible, I should be advised before the booking was accepted. I was not advised that it would not be possible. Imagine my surprise when being told that breakfast starts at 8am a Sunday. This made me late for my apointment.
3. There was no hot water in room 207 when I got up and went for a shower. I ran the hot taps for over 5 minutes but the water remained icy cold. I therefore had to leave for my appointment without any form of wash/bath/shower/shave. This was extremely embarrassing. And there was nobody at reception to complain to, even if I had had time to do so.

I'm sure you will agree that my experience at your hotel was not acceptable. Had I not been asked to pay on arrival, I certainly would not have handed over any money on departure, such was my disappointment. With this in mind, I would like to request a refund of the £xx I paid to stay with you. I will leave it until Friday 7th February before I review my stay on booking.com (where I booked the room) and tripadvisor to give you a chance to address the comments I have made.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Room Tip: Don't choose 207. Actually, I wouldn't go to this hotel at all.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank tr0mb0nist

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

pbiggles
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Fantastic looking old hotel with sloping floors. First room we were given was tiny, cramped dark and had a very small CRT TV. Went and asked for change and we were given a much improved room on the second floor. Main problem, boiler broke Saturday afternoon so no hot water for washing or shower. Same problem Sunday so had to use kettle to wash in sink. No contact from management about the problem. When we checked out Sunday, not even a mention of the problem, let alone an apology or mention of refund.
Hotel is cheap, but tired. Parking instructions on website say use Kings Walk car park. Don't, it should be Bruton. Restaurant limited and fairly uninspiring. Breakfast small and lukewarm. Mainly, it's the little touches - room for two with only one teaspoon and one glass, toilet seat didn't fit, poor window seal etc. A disappointing stay.

Room Tip: I think that rooms on the second floor were better. 212 was nicer
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pbiggles
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Dear Mr Price,
I thought I would pen you a quick note regarding my stay at your Hotel on the 27/12/2013.
Firstly this hotel was recommended to me from a close friend who had stayed there approx. 6 weeks prior.
Their experience was the reason I booked your hotel, this may not be any relevance to you but this break was my Christmas present for my wife and I after a very difficult year.
My experience was far from adequate, firstly the first room I was given had a broken toilet and the smell was unbearable, after speaking to the duty manager we were moved. However after a lovely day shopping in your city we decided to spend the night in our room however the telly did not work. I spoke to the duty manager and we were moved again. The third room was extremely dirty with the carpet covered in stains and mould in the bathroom. The bedsprings were protruding out of the matrass which made a good night sleep out of the question.
I can totally appreciate that your hotel is very old and charming however 3 rooms in one night is totally unacceptable. After a very difficult sleep I was given a full English breakfast that was below standard. The mushrooms tasted of grit and dirt and the hash brown tasted of stale oil, we had to get breakfast in the high street as we could not eat the one provided.
At this point I wanted to see the manager but the staff who was on duty were complaining about the fact that they had not been paid which was overheard by myself and another customer.
Myself and my wife were going to book another night at your hotel but I was so disappointed by my experience that we just packed up and left.
I totally understand that customers have to be moved and with a 700 year old hotel there will be a few problems this adds to the charm however what I don’t expect and I am very disappointed with is the amount of times we were moved the state of my room and the food. I feel I should not have to listen to staff complain about their jobs, manager and the lack of pay while on a Christmas break.
I had decided not to write to you however after telling are friends (who recommended the hotel) of are experience they could not believe it and said that the owners should know as these things.

I look forward to a response regarding are experience.
(Dear Sir I have not received a response from my original e-mail sent two weeks ago)

06/01/2014
STILL NO RESPONSE

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul O
UK
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

6 of us stayed here for New Year's Eve.
We stayed in four poster bed suite, while our friends stayed in standard rooms. We only paid £5 extra for it.
Our room was big and spacious. It is interesting and full of characters. But that also means it needs some work done as well. Still, we knew that would be the case when we booked here. So, no complaint from us. Standard rooms where our friends stayed are very small, according to them.
So, £5 extra well spent.
Breakfast was ok.
Check-in and check-out no issue at all.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed twice now and cant fault it, price is good for bed and breakfast, We stay in lady grey suite big bath, big room, lovely and warm in room, Breakfast was nice, lovely staff. Wish we could visit more. See you soon New inn. Xx

• Stayed December 2013
redruth
Reviewed 20 December 2013

A beautiful building. staff were helpful, the first room we were given had a leaking hole in the bathroom ceiling (room 101) and the tv didn't work so we asked to be moved. to be honest this room shouldn't be rented out with that ceiling !!
The next room we were given was much better and very comfortable, the cleaners need to clean under the beds and occasionally clean under the furniture as when I moved the bedside cabinet it was very dirty underneath. I was a little annoyed that I was told the bar would be open to 11 but when I went down for a pint at 10 it was shut !! however they were quiet and it was sunday night. when I was in the bar earlier in the day I asked for a slice of lemon or lime in my drink and was told "sorry" we don't have any it was very busy yesterday!! well here is a tip for you.... walk down the road and go and buy some more !!! The price was about £50 for a twin room including breakfast so considering that you cant really complain too much.. if the prices stay this low then I would make a return trip. but just remember the rooms are very "tired"

Room Tip: do not have room 101 unless the hole in the ceiling has been fixed !!
Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple