“Could be better”

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Chester, United Kingdom
“Could be better”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Loved the historical look and feel about the hotel. Bed was very comfortable and bathroom was huge ! We didn't spend much time in the room and used it just to get some sleep after visiting places in and around Gloucester during the day. It's in a really good location but car parking is about a 5 minute walk away as the hotel is right in the middle of the city.

Breakfast was sufficient for us, no complaints at all. My only gripe would be that the cleaner needs to clean behind the furniture and do some dusting ! There was also some very early morning noise from the back of the shops next door with deliveries coming and going, and the single glazed windows didn't help to block that out so that affected sleep quality.

Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Awsumness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This should be a really great place, it’s a grade I listed building and if you’ve ever stayed in one before you know that this usually means a well cared for and unique building with wonky architecture, single pane glass, hilarious plumbing and odd layouts. The quirks are usually more than compensated for since the amount of care needed to look after this type of building which normally guarantees a high amount of investment and a lot of care from the owners. Well not here!

The first room we got was filthy, the bed hadn’t been changed, there was hair and food everywhere, the toilet was broken and there was a used fake eyelash on the dresser.

Room two was better (aside from the toilet brush covered in #£%! and the black mould) but still with a pretty honking carpet, broken furniture and a thick layer of dust everywhere. On closer inspection someone had blown their nose on one of the towels, the bed was covered in a stained -unlaundered- quilt, two of the pillows had no cases and there was no sheet on the mattress; they had draped a duvet cover over it and this was not large enough to cover it. I dropped into reception and asked for a cloth and the missing linen.

The manager came up and changed the sheets with the receptionist in tow. She apologised profusely and offered us a free bottle of wine, unfortunately she replaced the duvet cover ‘sheet’ with… a duvet cover. “We don’t have any linen,” she explained, “there was a delivery problem.” I gave up, thanked her and bought a sheet from Tesco. I’ve had to buy my own sheets before but that was in a dodgy Eastern European youth hostel, not in an eighty quid a night hotel.

Other, less major, things included:

- Safety certificates missing or out of date on all electrical items.
- Dirty cups.
- Dust everywhere.
- Furniture and decor significantly worn.
- Staff were unable to provide directions to the hotel or advise on where to park in the area.
- There are signs saying that food is not allowed in the rooms and that guests will be billed for cleaning if any is found, this is not mentioned prior to booking. This is a pain in the backside whichever way you look at it but I would feel slightly better about this if the rooms were clean to start with.
-Very poor quality, cold breakfast buffet with dirty plates.
-Broken windows

Overall I accept that I’m sufficiently used to hotels that I can be pretty picky sometimes. Despite this I can say, hand on heart and without reservation that this place is utterly dire. It is no exaggeration to say that I wish I had slept in the van and that I have had better nights sleeping on the floor, outside, in the rain.

Anyway, must stop writing this. I need to go and get tested for rabies.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Ahbugger
BBA2012, General Manager at The New Inn-Relaxinnz, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
If you had read other recent reviews you would know that we have only just taken over the hotel - complete with all its faults. We are working our way through the problems and solving them as we go, but given the previous management's complete lack of care and interest in the hotel we know this is not going to happen overnight. Some of your comments are absolutely true.

For information the electrician is working his way through the hotel, room by room, testing all fixed equipment and portable appliances and some new furniture is on order.

We will overcome all these problems but please give us some time.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I have just returned from a four night stay at the New Inn.
On the second night I was woken up at 12:10 am when the manager and assistant manager unlocked and entered my room uninvited.They then asked me which room the young lad with the baseball cap was in, as the youngest member of my three man party is 56 and they offered no explanation as to why they were asking and I had been asleep since 8:30 pm. I told them the room number of the person in charge of my party. (needless to say they went to his room and entered in the same manner). Then 30-40 minutes later when I was once again in a deep sleep, the door flew open again and this time it was the manageress and the manager asking for the room number of a person in my party.As she was the one that booked all three of us in, I would have thought looking at the booking details would have been more appropriate. Again there was no explanation.(Again they went off and did the same to this person). The following morning we were expecting some kind of apology and explanation, but all the management did, was dodge us for the remainder of our stay, they were nowhere to be seen when we checked out either. So my advice to anyone staying here is make sure you put something against your door, especially if you are a couple.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you value your privacy. I have two more weeks in gloucester and will be stay...
Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ian h
BBA2012, General Manager at The New Inn-Relaxinnz, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Following an incident in the hotel we were given information that a person involved was in this gentleman's room. When we went to the room we apologised immediately for the error.
The information was given to us in good faith by another guest and was a complete mistake.
Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Very good location in the city centre - able to walk everywhere. Interesting history. That's where positives end!
Pitiful breakfast, toaster not working, had to specially request a fried egg!!!! Cold tap in bedroom not working, whole hotel very tired in appearance, broken electrical points in bedroom, minimal staffing levels, some staff poorly attired, only one key per room. Our room directly over noisy bar. Would need to be desperate to go there again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms over the bar area.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andy54_12
Thank you for your comments. Having only very recently taken over the hotel following a long period of poor management we are well aware of the task ahead of us.
The maintenance issues are all in hand and an electricia is on site at this moment working his way through the entire building.
We are sorry the toaster broke that day - but it has been replaced. We offer a buffet breakfast and scrambled eggs are on display. Yes if you need something else you just need to ask, as you did, so really don't see that as a worthy comment.
We issue guests with a room key. If they would like a second one all they have to do is ask!
All major booking websites and our own point out very clearly that our bar is a lively centre of entertainment and there is noise from music.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Pros:
Central location. Historic building of considerable charm and interest. Something of a rarity. Bar is a proper pub with a decent range of beers. Rooms are decent sized. Ours was a family room in the back (so not part of the galleried court) and was very spacious and quiet. Recently refurbished bathroom done to a high standard. Friendly and willing staff. Room was cleaned, and beds were clean and tidy.

Cons.
It's rather tired, and has not been sensitively managed in recent years, so décor is not sympathetic to the history and charm of the building. The courtyard is the hotel's best feature, but feels like a holiday park mock up; and when the pub is offering faggots and onion gravy for £5, there is the sense that the place is aiming for the wrong clientèle, and is not making the most of what it has. Toilet paper is budget, and not appropriate even for a budget hotel. Some of the electrics don't work properly or at all. On our weekend the tea and biscuits were not refreshed on the second day. On mentioning it at reception, the staff member (manager?) complained to the receptionist that it was the third complaint he'd had about it. That's not professional. They then supplied loose tea bags and unpacked biscuits. At least they'd made the effort, but unwrapped biscuits go soft overnight.... The third day there was again no replaced tea bags and biscuits. The breakfast was meagre, with minimal choice, and all poor quality. Breakfast appears to be included as standard, but as there are two Wetherspoons and a McDonalds close by, it may be worth going there for breakfast. It may be better to spend a few quid on a decent breakfast, and then be ready for the day, than submit yourself to the frustration of what the hotel has to offer, and have a bad start to the day. Your choice.

Overall.
An interesting place to stay. There is entertainment of a weekend, so the more interesting rooms around the courtyard will be subject to noise; and the hotel is in need of a sympathetic refurbishment; and the breakfast is best ignored completely; however, the central location, the history and charm of the place, the ghost stories, etc, make up for the shortcomings, so that overall it makes a comparable option to the dull, but efficient, modern hotel chains.

Tip.
The hotel offers a discount voucher for parking at Bruton Way. Ask for the voucher and you pay £3.50 for the day instead of £5. it's a 3-4 minute walk. Or, if you are happy to walk a little further (8-10 minutes), there's free street parking in a safe residential street: Oxford Road GL1 3EE.
Veggie sausages are available on request.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank RunningSteve
Thank you for your comments. We have very recently taken over the hotel and agree that many things are in need of attention following about two years of neglect by our predecessors. We are working through a massive list of improvements and are keen to bring the hotel back to where it should be. We ask all guests to be patient however, this is a big task and will not be completed overnight.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is the worst place I have ever had the misfortune to stay! We had the Oak Suite, sounds nice but unfortunately it clearly hadn't seen a hoover or a duster for years, it was filthy and we actually found a bug in the bed clothes, which brings me to the bed, if you like sleeping in a dip at a 45 degree angle head down, on a mattress which was so bad it had a plank of chip board underneath, then I am sure you would love it!
I appreciate that such an old building will have unlevel floors but to be doing a headstand in your sleep is just ridiculous. Ah did I say sleep? Well actually, with the bar below our room and a karaoke until half past midnight we didn't get any sleep! And the breakfast, we didn't stay for breakfast we got up and left at five am, we had had enough.

Room Tip: Don't book one!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Angela H
Thank you for your comment.

Having only recently taken over the hotel I was intrigued by your comments about thelevel of the bed so I went and tried it. To my surprise it was not at a 45 degree angle and I didn't have to sleep doing a headstand. This is a 600 year old building and the floors are not level (that's why people come here). True there is a gentle slope but nothing untoward. Why comment about breakfast when you did not have it?
Chaddesden, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This Hotel is sited perfectly in the centre of Gloucester, and as described by previous posts is a very old building. Therefore you should be prepared to put up with some of the quirks that the building throws at you.
What lets it down is the poor attention to detail in the rooms. In the wardrobe were broken coat hangers, shoe boxes and the top was very dusty. The carpet was quite stained and the bath panel was broken with a big split along it. The worst thing was the dirty toilet brush, please, please cleaner clean the brush after you have cleaned toilet
The breakfast was ok but it consisted of scrambled egg. To be fair another guest asked for other type,and it was provided so it would have been good to put a sign on the desk saying it was available.
The staff were all friendly and helpful and the prices for the drinks were good.
Would I stay here again, on balance I would and would happily recommend it to my friends. But this hotel must learn to start looking at the little things and not to let it get any worse.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business