“Very loud but good location and historic building”

The New Inn-Relaxinnz
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We booked this hotel for two nights and ended up having trouble sleeping both of them. The hotel wraps around a courtyard with a restaurant and bar, an area which was loud even in our 2nd floor room. The night we arrived, there was a concert going on in that courtyard, information that might have made us reconsider our selection of the hotel. The second night, there was karaoke or something that involved loud music, which was perhaps worse than the concert. There also seems to be gang of seagulls in the area because they did not stop squawking for one minute all night--this is not the fault of the hotel, but it is certainly something to know when planning a trip to Gloucester. Our other issue with the room was with the temperature. The noise might not have been quite as loud if we had closed the window, but that was simply impossible because it was so hot and stuffy. It was two long, sleepless nights. I understand that A/C may not be possible in such an old building, but even putting a portable fan in the room would have been a huge help. Apart from these problems, the inn itself was kind of a neat atmosphere, with a Tudor-style building (supposedly the oldest inn in England) and a filling English-breakfast buffet. It also had a good location, within walking distance of the bus station, train station, and Gloucester Cathedral.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are very hot, but rooms on lower floors might be noisier
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank leenica
BBA2012, General Manager at The New Inn-Relaxinnz, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

We very clearly advertise on all booking websites that we have live music and karaoke every weekend. We are an acclaimed music venue and this is something of which we are justly proud.

Not much we can do about the seagulls, sorry.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed in room 112 last weekend. We chose the hotel as it was in the heart of Gloucester and cheap. The hotel is quirky, the courtyard, reception and bar area is lovely and the beer is reasonably priced with a good selection of beers and ales.
My room was bad. Stains on the ceiling, the mirror propped up against the wall, the window sill was rotten and covered in bird poo. Even though the space outside my window was netted pigeons still managed to get within the space. Due to the hot weather I had to sleep with the window open but all I could hear all night was an full blown riot between the seagulls and pigeons who I was quite certain were going to join me in my room at any stage.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Andy L

We are awaiting the company decorators to refurbish the rooms.

Yes there are pigeoons and sea gulls - it is a city centre.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel is extremely quirky - I was there on a business trip and needed a hotel close to the city centre. The location could not have been better. However, the hotel needs some modernisation if it wants to attract business travellers. Problems started at check in. I normally use a booking agent and the rooms are always prepaid. Apparently this was not the case on this occasion and I had to produce the trusty credit card! I went to my room on the top floor, entered and banged my head on the smoke detector, having avoided the oak beam. I'm only 5ft 11 - so good luck if you're over 6ft, you will not be able to stand up straight. It was an extremely hot evening and the tiny window was open as the room was like an oven. Unfortunately this let in the noise from the courtyard and the seagulls. The furniture was dated and the bed was firm but not in a good way. Needless to say the combination of heat, noise and bed resulted in a virtually sleepless night. Not good when you are on a business trip. I had a bottle of water which I placed on the bedside table. It literally slid off! Good job it wasn't a cup of tea. The decor was grubby and did not give the impression that it was clean, it was hard to tell. I decided to eat out but could not lock my door and had to go to reception. Someone came up and helped and after a struggle we established a technique for locking it, by pushing the handle down and forcing the key! Good luck if you're under 14stone!
I'm sure if you were on a visit to Gloucester and wanted somewhere to stay while sightseeing you would be prepared to overlook the above, but it was not good for business
Sorry I will not be returning to the hotel - other than perhaps a drink in the courtyard which was actually quite pleasant.

Room Tip: Not room 207!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ridles
BBA2012, General Manager at The New Inn-Relaxinnz, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for your review. Firstly I should point out that our company policy, like many hotels, is payment on arrival.
Our hotel is over 550 years old and yes it is quirky, with uneven floors and low beamed ceilings (only in some rooms) and that's what attracts most guests. We will get the door lock attended to.
Please note that many of our rooms have high ceilings and large windows, and not all overlook the courtyard. Should you wish to return please let us know your room preferences and we will be pleased to accommodate your requirements.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

A very strange hotel with uneven and sloping floors and walls, where pigeons and seagulls dominate the window sills (inside and out) and don't allow you a moment of sleep.

I was unable to put anything on the bedside tables as the floor was so uneven, it would slide right off, and the wardrobe - looming dangerous over the bed due to this very slope - looked like it was threatening to crush me should I have been able to sleep.

The damp all over every single wall of my room, was a lovely decorative finish, only beaten by the mold and unknown quantities of unknown black substances that seem to gather in every corner of the bathroom. Even if I had been brave enough to use the loo, I wouldn't have been able to as it was placed in a position which make it impossible to sit on properly.

All in all... wee, wee, poo.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, find another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Andy W
BBA2012, General Manager at The New Inn-Relaxinnz, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guests - please read our other recent reviews to see this one is nonsense.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel had its first renovation in 1455! Shakespeare is reputed to have performed in the yard. Several other historical events have happened there during the centuries of its operation. I loved reading about them in notices around the hotel. There some indicators that it is an old property, but is very comfortable considering it's age. Don't go there if you can't put up with the odd creaking floor board! The very central location and quiet pedestrian street are great pluses.
We stayed during the FIFA World Cup and expected a lot more noise from the bar than there was. The worst noise was the seagulls!
The breakfast was plentiful and good. Staff were very helpful, especially when our tv didn't work at first. The manager lent his own for the evening and the next day there was a brand new one.
No parking on site but 3 parks nearby; free overnight but a charge if there between 7am and 7pm.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
BBA2012, General Manager at The New Inn-Relaxinnz, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Many thanks for your kind remarks. Glad I was able to help

Reviewed 8 July 2014

One of the problems with Trip Advisor is the way that poor reviews hang around like bad smells in an enclosed room. The new owners have obviously made a great effort to make the New Inn the jewel it should be. There is a way to go but they deserve credit for what they have done so far. My room was clean, cheerful and everything worked as it should. The building is wonderful with crooked stairs and wonky floors. The price for a twin room was very reasonable and it is difficult to imagine a more convenient place from which to explore Gloucester.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
BBA2012, General Manager at The New Inn-Relaxinnz, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for your review - we do appreciate it when our efforts are noticed

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We recently spent 3 days at The New Inn. We used to stay there in the late 70s early 80s on cricket tour. As we are now more affluent we booked a superior room this time. We had the Lady Jane Grey suite on the 1st floor - there are 2 - I think the other one must be the one with a four poster bed. It is a lovely big room which fronts onto the High Street. As I had requested a quiet room I asked if there were any other rooms but was assured that as the road is pedetrianised it would be very quiet. However there was noise from pedestrians in the evening and rubbish collection/street cleaning and deliveries from the early hours. We already knew about the seagulls so these other noises may have been irrelevant. The room had large window with thin white curtains which meant it was light from around 4.30 at this time of year. One of the curtains was hanging by one hook when we arrived. When I reported it the manager said he would try and come up but he was' on his own'. He did eventually come and managed to suspend the curtain by 3 or 4 hooks promising to have it fixed properly the next day. My husband found another hook on the floor which he added and that is how it stayed for the rest of our stay. Properly hung thick ( light obscuring ) curtains would be a real improvement. We invested in earplugs and eyemasks as a solution to these problems. Also there were only 3 hangers in the wardrobe - the manager promised to 'look for some more' but again nothing was forthcoming. A quick trip to the 99p shop solved that problem!
We were only provided with2 tea bags and 2 pots of milk. When we asked for more they were willingly provided in abundance - it would just be nice not to have to ask.
We also had difficulty connecting to the internet from our room although we could get a good connection to the router. The manager implied it was a problem with our computer but we didn't speak to anyone who had managed to connect from their room and we could easily connect down in the coutyard. My son, who I rang for advice, suggested I try and reboot the router , which is what I would do at home, but I didn't like to interfere.
Unlike some we found our way to the car park easily using the post code on the website but then wandered round Gloucester trying to find the hotel. We eventually found a quick route between the two via Kings Walk and New Inn Lane. It would be useful if a description of this route could be included on the website as the Kings walk end of New Inn Lane is not obvious.
We felt the breakfast was adequate. I personally would appreaciate some fruit salad rather than a bowl of whole pieces of fruit which are difficult to handle without a sharp knife.
This is a fabulous building weel worth a visit. I understand that it had falled into disrepair and that the new owners are undertaking refurbishment. This may seem a rather nit picking review but I am just trying to suggest some small things that together with a slightly more proactive management style that could make things much better in the short term.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. The matter of curtains has been raised with the owners and is being addressed, and we have ordered more coat hangers. Regarding the internet you did actually tell me that the problem had been your own computer's security settings, not our wi-fi system!