“Sad to say...”

Nicki's Hotel and Taverna
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gloucester
Nicki's Hotel and Taverna
Ranked #17 of 22 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Whilst it may be situated ideally for the centre of Gloucester, this is a basic place to stay. The room and hotel itself smelled slightly, the toilet also smelled and the room was not that clean (other peoples hair still on sheets..). Very noisy during the night from seagulls outside, and someone was listening to the radio at 4am (I know that could happen anywhere). The owner was friendly enough, but Im sorry to say this hotel needs updating and a good clean.
But of course, it all comes down to price, and if you need somewhere to stay on a budget then I'm sure this would suit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank thedigger294

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Nicki's may suffer in hotel reviews because it isn't a big-chain, well-funded establsihment, but then it doesn't cost as much either. My friends and I are regular users of Nicki's every time there is an event we wish to attend in Gloucester. Nicki is wonderfully welcoming chap who can't do enough for his guests and is always willing to be accomodating even if it means him getting the odd-job superman Alf to run upstauirs. Nothing is too much trouble. Yes the macerator is a noisy invention but it's part of the character of the place. Yes the locals in the street outside can be entertaining but its part of the cabaret. It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to pay. Nicki's is cheap, clean and cheerful with all the facilities of a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge except you have to bring your own biscuits. Over the years the proprietor has worked through upgrading every room, new wallpaper, flat screen TVs, new paint jobs, new beds etc. and we even found a new luxury armchair in our room this time. It does not fit with the rest of the decor but who cares, it's comfortable and welcome. Breakfasts are just what you make of them because there isn't a menu, just tell Nicki or Alf what you'd like and they;ll prepare and serve it - and likely offer seconds. Mu only niggle... the sauages could be better quality. Overall, Nicki's Taverna remains unpretentious with the emphais on providing a good bed and a warm welcome. It's not where I'd take my wife for a bit of luxury pampering but then I don't have to pay those type of prices when I stay there. I am willing to understand that this hotel will not be to everybody's taste but I am very fond of Nicki's and so are lots of my friends.

Room Tip: They are all smallish but Room 1 is a large three-bed, family that Nicki will do as a twin. No view...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Herne848
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Room was small. Ensuite had a pulveriser toilet which made a lot of noise and smelled. Shower was on a high plinth and would be very difficult for a person with impaired movement to use. Public areas and stairs were basic. New wallpaper in places and lino on the floor. Breakfast was inedible. Scrambled egg was burnt and I could not eat it. Toast was white and plentiful. I was on a cycling holiday and in 2 weeks this was the only meal where I left food untouched. I will not return.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank TheBestMac
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Well, i stayed here because of work and could not have got out of there fast enough. I have read the previous reviews and I must say i am very surprised. Unless i just had a bad room i don't understand all the positive reviews.

Where to start?? The place needs a face-lift. The hall was tidy and up kept but old fashioned. My bed was solid, with lumps of wood depending where i turned. The head board was supposed to be cream leather, but over time and being used it was grey in areas with peoples head marks. It looked like someone had attempted to repair it, but unfortunately that was unsuccessful. I sat in one of the armchairs and sank! All i could feel was the frame of the chair as the cushion had given up on life. The decor was dated to say the least. The furniture was laminated and either peeling or sections had just come away. The window had many cracked sections and the curtains were cream and thin so kept none of the external lighting out when i wanted to sleep. There was a TV fixed to the wall, which you could not view, unless you took one of the 'soft' chairs and sat in front of it. No TV in bed for me then.

Then came the 'En-suit'. It was tiny, which is ok, but the toilet seat was chipped, the soap holder was dirty with fresh soap put in. I could smell the bleach, so it had obviously been cleaned, but could I tell where??? The shower.........well........i actually ran my finger along the bottom of the shower enclosure and the dirt lifted! I then looked up! I have no idea why i did this, as the roof was heavily stained. I took pictures of all this and needless to say i did not take a shower. I used the toilet and it felt like the bathroom was shaking, the noise from the pipes was so loud and violent I was reluctant to go again. The same with the taps for the sink. This must have been the same in other rooms as I heard people go to the toilet all night.

I was asked on the way to my room what time i wanted breakfast. I said around 7.15am. The response given was, ok any time don't worry. I was not told where to go, or how breakfast worked. There was no information in my room. I didn't know what time to check out and how to get assistance should i require this. I came down at 7.05 and looked around for where i was supposed to go. Everything was locked. I went in and out of the hotel entrance knocking doors just to establish how i was supposed to check out. I banged on the door in the hall. 15 minutes later someone let me into the restaurant. This is a dark room and the smell of cigarettes and grease was overwhelming. I had to leave. I gave him my key and left.

I can honestly say i will never go back and will not recommend this place to anyone. I can understand people saying the owner was friendly but for me a nice CLEAN COMFORTABLE room has to be there no matter what.

Sorry Nicki but my experience was awful.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Topcat-Grob
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and i have just returned from a weekend break, in Gloucester. We stayed at Nickis' Hotel, and loved it there. Nicki himself, goes overboard to make you feel welcome, food is great, good value for money, clean comfortable rooms, beds clean and comfortable, plus en suite shower, etc. Plenty of hot water.
We were given keys to come and go as we liked, and the location to the city centre, is perfect, nowhere is far to walk.
Can't praise this hotel enough, if you want a warm friendly welcome, with good food, at a reasonable price, then stay at Nickis', You won't regret it.

Room Tip: We were on 1st floor, overlooking the main street, which was fairly quiet. Bit of noise in the pipes...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gillian B
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The best reason to stay at Nicki's is Nick himself: a charming gentleman who does everything possible to make his guests feel welcome. Our room was clean and quiet, our breakfast hearty. The hotel is ideally situated in the heart of Gloucester (very close to the Cathedral) and very reasonably priced: my son and I paid £55.00 for a room that could have slept four. We also enjoyed a tasty kebab for lunch. This is not luxury accommodation but it is honest and whole-hearted; why not give it a try?

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Soprano76
Reviewed 7 July 2007

The stairs are linoleum, the finishes haphazard, there was no hot water in our ensuite shower (though fortunately there was in the shared bathroom), and the food, though Greek, won't win any culinary prizes nor is very cheap—but Nicki's very Mediterranean hospitality, typical of his native Cyprus, makes you willing to forgive all that. The place is handy for the nearby Cathedral and the rest of the town centre.

Stayed: July 2007