“Amazing!”

Frog Furlong Cottage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gloucester
Frog Furlong Cottage
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The person who wrote the bad review clearly is just a miserable moaner!! This place was just lovely, we had the pool room and there was no one else in the other room so we had the pool to ourselves for the weekend, a bonus! Clive and Anna couldn't of been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. Everything was spotlessly clean and well looked after, their garden was amazing and the cats and dogs were very friendly. They asked us what time we would like breakfast and it tasted gorgeous, cooked to perfection! I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, I didn't want to come home!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Stayed at the beginning of June 2013. Rooms are large, very well kept and the service was fantastic. There is even a pool.

I opted for the continental breakfast and was given a huge selection of items to choose from, all local and excellent quality.

When asked about local amenities I was given plenty of location for evening meals and things to do.Setting is lovely, rural so very quiet and was nice to sit in the garden in the evening.

Cannot recomend this place enough, it's the best value for money in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I have to say I am amazed by the one poor review of Frog Furlong Cottage - I really think the author of it must have stayed in a different place from me!

Anna was immensely helpful to me while I was booking by e-mail (I had some problems which meant I couldn't confirm the booking for a week) and even gave me The Pool Room, which I wasn't expecting.

When I texted with my ETA Anna offered to book me a table at the local gastro pub, which was another unexpected touch (incidentally, this pub, The Queen's Head, does the MOST amazing food. Don't eat all day before you go there!!).

She couldn't have been more welcoming and explained everything carefully, including the small problems caused by not being on the mains water supply. My room wasn't huge but it was perfectly adequate for me - it was spotlessly clean and I loved the big bathroom. Having a fridge in the room was great, too. The bed was very comfortable and the duvet was just right - some establishments have bedding which is far too heavy but this was light but cosy. The room was cleaned thoroughly every day :-).

The pool was an amazing treat! Anna and Clive were SO helpful with uncovering and re-covering it for me quite late into the evening and I was able to flollop around to my heart's content. I did find it a bit on the chilly side but that made me keep moving!

Clive was a lovely breakfast host and again nothing was too much trouble. Loved the sausages in particular!

The cottage is beautiful and so are the gardens. I felt very at home being surrounded by a dog and four cats! Clive's collection of vintage cars adds another dimension to the place.

I was teaching on a music course in Cheltenham for a week and couldn't live on campus as expected, so I had to do a quick scout around to find a B&B. I think I REALLY fell on my feet here! Breakfast just a little earlier would have been helpful, but I just made it into town in time every day. It was lovely to get in my car at the end of a full-on day and escape to the peace and quiet of this little haven.

So I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Frog Furlong Cottage to anyone wanting somewhere to stay that is clean and comfortable, with friendly and incredibly helpful hosts, for a very reasonable cost.

DON'T be put off by the negative review...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank singer22
Reviewed 28 September 2011

My wife and I stayed for a few days in August 2009, our first trip to England. Other than getting totally lost every time we ventured out, our stay in the area was wonderful. We were in the area to attend a vintage sportscar event at Prescott, and Anna and Clive were also attending, and gave us a ride to the event in their early thirties Austin limo! The scenery around there is beautiful,and we would stay here again in order to see Wales and the rest of SW England. We were comfortable, cosy and well fed by our hosts. They went out of their way to make our (too)short stay enjoyable. All in all, nothing short of perfect!
the Wilsons, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Thanks Anna and Clive for your wonderful hospitality to my wife and I, two tired travellers from New Zealand. Back home we pride ourselves as having the finest motel accommodation in the world and that is always our point of comparison when travelling. Frog Furlong Cottage is absolutely charming and the hosts were so welcoming we felt like we were home. We had a large double room detached from the main house, spotlessly clean, and all facilities provided. Little things that mean so much to travellers make all the difference, such as a linen cupboard with extra towells. We were warned that hot water to the shower would take some time to arrive from the main house, which was thoughful. One little thing we were impressed with was a ring binder with well-written notes about area of local interest with historical anecdotes. We had a refreshing swim the large closed-over heated pool before having our evening meal at a nearby Pub. Our hosts kindly booked a table for us ahead of our arrival. Take the advice from the staff at the Pub on house specialities - simply sumptuous. Frog Furlong Cottage is 18th century, so don't expect everything to be made of plastic. There is old-world charm here with beautiful crockery at the breakfast table. A healthy English breakfast is just the thing to send you on your way feeling you are ready for the next leg of your journey. We will certainly be recommending Frog Furlong Cottage to our friends and colleagues, and happy to add our name to our review: Professor Leach and Dr Davidson.

Room Tip: Ask for the detached chalet - lovely and quiet and soft bed with lots of pillows
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Foss L
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I stopped at Frogfurlong Cottage four about four years after securing a long term contract In Gloucester. I can only say that welcome I received during this time was excellent. The accommodation was perfectly adequate and had the feel of a typical Gloucestershire rural cottage.
The accommodation was comfortable and cosy and away from the main building , so you can come and go as you please because of this you always feel you have your own space and not intruding on the hosts space.
The rooms are clean and fresh with fresh flowers The breakfast is fantastic with fresh local produce and always served hot with plenty of tea or coffee.
This accommodation is very rural and a car is required to get out and about but this adds to the charm of this Bed and Breakfast location.
This is a very nice place to stay and the owners are very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Will need transport for this rural location
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Ian N
Reviewed 25 July 2011

As some of the reviews say ' they are helpful & lovely' 'You need transport' They are the only remarks we would agree with sadly. We received a warm friendly greeting on our arrival. Our friend was shown her room ' a converted garage ' Not what we were expecting, this garage room is detached from the main building, the next morning at breakfast she remarked how vulnerable she felt! She also said it was not very clean. Our double room was tiny, the bathroom was too big? Both rooms are old fashioned (Chintzy) The word 'Twee' comes to mind. As with our friend we felt the room needed a really good clean. I'm aware they have gone with a style becoming of a cottage feel but this was a Shabby attempt. Other Irritations : The bathroom had a carpet fitted that felt grubby under foot, The shower was a waste of time it took an age to get hot and because of poor water pressure due to the design of the system! ' Im a plumber by trade by the way' you had to position the shower head half way down the riser rail and kneel down to wash your hair!! After dark their was no external lighting in the garden? which you have to pass through on your way to the room My iPhone torch app came in useful. There was a motion light outside the garage room which begged the question is that for the benefit of the guest or the security of the Wedding cars which are housed in the same area? They have in the garden a Well in which you have to pass on your way to the room, their isn't a lot of room to pass and the roof is dangerously low. they have a dog, it's inexcusable to not clean up Its mess. I swam in the pool for about five minutes, as i looked around the pool area i noticed a familiar scene. (Shabby.) Mucky towels left in a chair, Pool equipment left lying around on the poolside, i also noticed a wrench fixed to a Radiator valve that was dangerously sticking out? The boiler is at the side of the bedroom i didn't see a Carbon monoxide alarm which is a worry. The teapot in both rooms were very stained. The breakfasts were OK. This BB left you feeling disapointed and in need of a good shower. We won't be going back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank kennyr1334
nostalgia79, Owner at Frog Furlong Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

The accommodation we offer is in two small independent units,, both originally stables in the 18th century, this is always explained in detiail to prospective guests. One room is small but cosy and warm with a large en-suite bathroom. There is no chintz in either room , all decor is fairly plain and non-obtrusive but in keeping with an 18th century country cottage. The rooms are cleaned meticulously before each new arrival. The carpets are new in both bathrooms and are water repellent so they may feel strange to the touch. As we are not on a Main Water supply the water is pumped directly from our well which is inspected regularaly by the local authorities. We explain to all our guests that the pressure in the one shower is lower than from a Mains water supply. We explain that they have only to hold the showerhead a little lower than usual in order to get a satisfactory flow. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the design. The bath is a large corner bath with fast flowing very hot and cold water. There is a clearance of several feet to either side of the well. And the wellhead is at the usual height for an 18th century construction, people cannot walk under it! The swimming pool is used daily by all our family and the youngest ones' towels are left over a chair to dry for convenience. These are not mucky, they are washed regularly. The pool is offered free of charge with the understanding that it is essentially our own private pool with our belongings in there and the cleaning equipment to hand as it is regularly cleaned each week. There are garden lights throughout the property, 8 exterior lights in total and a simple request at the entrance to the guest accommodation to put the lights out when they retire. There are also solar lamps illuminating the entrance path. There are no street lamps as we are very rurally situated which is what we advertise. A carbon monoxide alarm is not necessary as the area is ventilated to the required standard and has been checked just recently by a qualified engineer. Unfortunately on departure the complainants suggested we had overcharged them when in fact we had accepted a single occupancy of a double room and had made a 50% discount even though the room had been booked for two people. This led to a contretemps and the resulting outcome .