“Conveniently Located Middle Accommodation”
Review of The Station Hotel

The Station Hotel
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed 11 June 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Peter K

Reviewed 5 June 2013

the hotel bar was good, the hallway up to the rooms was being redecorated , but I think they should concentrate on the rooms instead. the room was very clean and the bathroom more than adequate BUT the room needs updating ,the colours were very drab and the furniture was old fashioned pine units and too big and cumbersome for the room and not necessary, less is more in some cases ,he room was unbearably hot no air-con but had a fan which was a bit noisy and didn't make much difference NOW good points ! tv was a modern flat screen and good coffee and tea making facilities, shower excellent, bar downstairs very good and great welcome. we booked with booking.com and the confirmation was a bit confusing as on one part it said it had been paid and then on another it said to pay on arrival. we paid on arrival which was hassle free and as we were a bit early we had a drink in the bar. when we returned later there was good music being played and stayed for a few drinks before bed, we had breakfast included but had to leave early the next day before 8.30 am so missed it, but the food that was being served during the day looked great. you can see they are trying to update the hotel and for a nights stay I would say it was ok.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nikki0909
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I made a booking through Bookings.com for 2 nights for a young guy working in the area.
I received a call in the evening to say the manager would not let him check in as the room wasn't paid for. I spoke to the manager and he stated that I hadn't paid for the room. I gave him the confirmation number of the booking. He was adamant I needed to contact head office (which was closed) I contacted Bookings and they called the hotel to confirm the booking. He still wouldn't let the guy check in. He was rude and unhelpful even though I explained that he didn't have enough money to pay himself he still wouldn't let him in. This is a young man who was working nights who didn't have anywhere to stay. I had to find him alternative accommodation at 10pm at night so he wasn't stranded in Gloucester. Terrible service

Room Tip: Ensure payment and proof of payment before entering this hotel because the management has no conscie...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank julie s
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Very pleased to have ended up staying in this hotel for the two nights I was visiting Gloucester and will gladly stay again if in the area. The room was neat and tidy, bathroom facitilies worked well and were sufficient. What makes this hotel worth staying in is the very warm welcome and treatment by the owners and the staff not to mention the lovely food served. The atmosphere in the downstairs pub was lovely and cosy, too. Adding to the positive experience was the perfect location close to the train station.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Four of us stayed here on Gold Cup day. We arrived in the morning and were shown our rooms.The rooms were fine, breakfast was good, and the service from all the staff was excellent. We will be returning next year, only this time ten of us.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I don't normally write reviews (good or bad) but I feel others must be warned. I have never before encountered such unfriendly behaviour from a place of business. He refused to serve me the drink I wanted then when my acquaintances and I were finished our drinks they were immediately cleared away and we were told to leave, for no reason other than he didn't want us there. The owner of this hotel is a xenophobe, unless you are a local you will not be welcome. Trust me - the treatment you will receive will not be pleasant - do not go here.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Karyn S
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Looking at the past reviews, I'd say the place is trying to put things right.

2 friends and I were meeting up for drinks and chose this hotel as it was cheap...

On arrival there was a little confusion on our booking, and the manager was a bit odd asking us for paperwork, but and then asking to find out who we had booked with etc... then came back withthe paperwork.,... but was amusing rather than rude lol

we were a little concerned as we were told that our 1 key opened all the doors we needed to get through... so i'm guessing they open all the rooms too??

When we got in to the room we were plesantly suprised... it was clean, warm and the beds were comfy (we were later told they were new that day)

the bathroom could really do with some TLC... it was clean, but had a bit of mold on the ceiling... it could do with a good scrub and some mold proof paint.

it didn't bother us too much as we were in and out. and after a good night drinking in the town, went back to the hotel bar for a couple of drinks to finish the night off!! The prices were reasonable, and they had some good offers on.

We then slept well on the night... the room was a little warm but I'm not moaning :-)

We then had breakfast in the morning and this was decent... the toaster was funny... a 6 slicer but only 3 work, so most people either end up with uncooked toast or burnt toast :-)

This isn't somewhere I'd go for a romantic get away, however for a cheap get away it is definatly worth it... and if the owners continue to try and make the changes I'm sure it will get better and better!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends