“Rude staff”

Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Swansea
“Rude staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

I did not stay at this hotel, however I did pop in for some food before I dropped a friend off for a train journey. Despite signs everywhere that had been put out that day stating that food was served all day, I was told that this particular day it is not the case but not told as to why. I was then told by the barmaid that I could park my car in the car park behind the hotel as it was owned by the manager. 2 minutes later, very luckily I walked outside to get something and noticed a lady from the council locking the car park, it was only by sheer luck that my car was not locked in there overnight. It turned out that the "car park" she was referring to was a single space in a different direction to where she had pointed. We then ordered some drinks, two of us had a beer and the other two had a packed of crisps and some squash. The barmaid told my friend that he had to order a drink as well as crisps if he wanted to stay. We resisted replying that we would have ordered meals and drinks had she been serving them. She and the manager then told my other friend that a soft drink "wasn't enough" to stay but then sold it to us anyway. We quickly finished up and left. I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank lilchicamanpants

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

the hotel bar was good, the hallway up to the rooms was being redecorated , but I think they should concentrate on the rooms instead. the room was very clean and the bathroom more than adequate BUT the room needs updating ,the colours were very drab and the furniture was old fashioned pine units and too big and cumbersome for the room and not necessary, less is more in some cases ,he room was unbearably hot no air-con but had a fan which was a bit noisy and didn't make much difference NOW good points ! tv was a modern flat screen and good coffee and tea making facilities, shower excellent, bar downstairs very good and great welcome. we booked with booking.com and the confirmation was a bit confusing as on one part it said it had been paid and then on another it said to pay on arrival. we paid on arrival which was hassle free and as we were a bit early we had a drink in the bar. when we returned later there was good music being played and stayed for a few drinks before bed, we had breakfast included but had to leave early the next day before 8.30 am so missed it, but the food that was being served during the day looked great. you can see they are trying to update the hotel and for a nights stay I would say it was ok.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nikki0909
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

I made a booking through Bookings.com for 2 nights for a young guy working in the area.
I received a call in the evening to say the manager would not let him check in as the room wasn't paid for. I spoke to the manager and he stated that I hadn't paid for the room. I gave him the confirmation number of the booking. He was adamant I needed to contact head office (which was closed) I contacted Bookings and they called the hotel to confirm the booking. He still wouldn't let the guy check in. He was rude and unhelpful even though I explained that he didn't have enough money to pay himself he still wouldn't let him in. This is a young man who was working nights who didn't have anywhere to stay. I had to find him alternative accommodation at 10pm at night so he wasn't stranded in Gloucester. Terrible service

Room Tip: Ensure payment and proof of payment before entering this hotel because the management has no conscie...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank julie s

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Salo, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Very pleased to have ended up staying in this hotel for the two nights I was visiting Gloucester and will gladly stay again if in the area. The room was neat and tidy, bathroom facitilies worked well and were sufficient. What makes this hotel worth staying in is the very warm welcome and treatment by the owners and the staff not to mention the lovely food served. The atmosphere in the downstairs pub was lovely and cosy, too. Adding to the positive experience was the perfect location close to the train station.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

west midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

Four of us stayed here on Gold Cup day. We arrived in the morning and were shown our rooms.The rooms were fine, breakfast was good, and the service from all the staff was excellent. We will be returning next year, only this time ten of us.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

I don't normally write reviews (good or bad) but I feel others must be warned. I have never before encountered such unfriendly behaviour from a place of business. He refused to serve me the drink I wanted then when my acquaintances and I were finished our drinks they were immediately cleared away and we were told to leave, for no reason other than he didn't want us there. The owner of this hotel is a xenophobe, unless you are a local you will not be welcome. Trust me - the treatment you will receive will not be pleasant - do not go here.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends