“Awful - avoid at all costs.”

Cathedral Quarter Hotel
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Awful - avoid at all costs.”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We were staying at the hotel as an evening guest for a reception. I booked the room far in advance and had a call from the concierge the day before. At neither point did they think to advise us that the room was next to the ladies toilet and opposite the lift, AND 2 doors down from the reception room, You could hear the hand dryer in our room and the lift 'going up/down' all night.
I am heavily pregnancy and no-one thought to offer me an alternative room on arrival.
The wooden flooring does pinch your feet and it's very loud in the corridor from people's shoes.
The curtains do not stop any light so we were awake in bright daylight at 6.30 am.
Breakfast was barely acceptable - they ran out of glasses, luke warm food and fatty bacon etc...
I have e mailed the hotel with my complaints and they have either dismissed them or failed to address them. Apparently it was up to me to ask for a quiet room if I did not want to listen to a hand dryer all night. So BEWARE - if you do book, do not have room 11!

Room Tip: Not room 11 or 12 because they are opposite the lift.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank slsowerby
Stephanie O, Manager at Cathedral Quarter Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for review. I am sorry that your stay was not as you had expected. As stated, concierge do a confirmation call the day prior to arrival to reconfirm your booking, and to give our guests the oppurtunity to request anything or to book tables in the restaurant. On this oocasion, concierge was not informed that you required a quiet room due to your pregnancy. Reception allocate rooms the night before arrival, after confirmation calls. Therefore, when your room booking was made we would not have known which room would be allocated. The complaint was also not mentioned until after check out, therefore not allowing the chance for us to move you into a differnt room. However, we fully accept that upon your arrival a room change should have been made. The parque flooring outside the room is hundreds of years old, and although we understand it can be noisey, alot of our guests appriciate its history.

We take all complaints very seriously and deal with them as quickly as possible. Your email was responded to within an hour and all departmental heads were informed of the complaint, including the head chef. We do have black out curtains in all rooms, but i have asked maintainence to check this room for any problems.

I believe you are still in correspondance with us regarding the matter and I hope it is resolved quickly.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Staff very helpful and welcoming. Room dusty and corridor floor tiles loose causing a trip hazard.
Food not to the standard expected and only half the cooked breakfast warm - the rest being not fully cooked and cold/raw.
Drinks VERY expensive - £4 or less than a pint and spirits starting at £5..!!! Far better to walk 5 mins to Lloyds/Wetherspoons - food of a better quality and properly cooked and drinks at a more realistic price. I WOULD NOT RETURN..!!!

• Stayed April 2012
Good Afternoon.

Many thanks for your review. I will pass on your feedback to the front office staff, as I am sure they will be happy to hear it. I believe this complaint has already been resolved by the hotel internally but I would like to give my apologies that the food was not what you had expected. All our produce is fresh and of high quality, and time is taken to prepare every dish. Our chefs are also happy to cook a dish to your taste if requested, i.e well done eggs. Our spirits at the bar are of a very high quality, and our tariffs are very competitive. We also have 241 on cocktails every night from 7pm-9pm which are great value, and include these great spirits.

We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and never usually have an issue. However housekeeping have been asked to be more vigulant when dusting.

Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Derby hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We booked this hotel late on late rooms, and we were not dissappointed. It is a lovely hotel, it has a large majestic like stair case, which is beautiful to look at.
The room was very big, warm and cosy and very quiet. The bathroom was spotlessly clean, with lovely modern decor.
It is near to the city centre, and is just a great place to stay if your visiting Derby.
I would recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Stephanie O, Manager at Cathedral Quarter Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Good Morning,

Such lovely comments, thank you so much!. I will make sure all the staff are aware of your review. We work hard to make every guests stay special, and I am pleased that you would recommend us. We have a beautiful hotel and its in a great location.

Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Regards
Leicester, UK
Reviewed 21 April 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel for my parents, as part of a golden wedding anniversary treat. They had a wonderful time and will certainly be recommending it to friends & family!

The hotel is easy to find with plenty car parking nearby-including the extra-safe Bold Lane car park.

The check-in staff were very welcoming and had arranged a small anniversary treat for my parents when they got to their room. This was totally unexpected & a lovely surprise. The room was lovely - spotlessly clean and with everything I anticipated - a perfect place for them to relax before their champagne afternoon tea. This had been recommended as "something special" & my parents were not disappointed. The home-made, still warm, scones were their particular favourite!! The Opulence restaurant, although quiet, they found very relaxing with atmospheric background music & once again the staff made the experience even better.

The hotel was very well located for the evening show at the nearby theatre - just a 10 minute walk. An early dinner wasn't required due to the size of the afternoon tea!!!

Next morning they had a fabulous breakfast. They have stayed in many hotels around the world & said that this is up there with the best. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff & once again they loved the atmosphere with the accompanying background music. Before they checked out they went for a walk around the City - this hotel is perfectly located with the nearby boutique shops, lovely cafes & tearooms, bars, Cathedral at the end of the road & with only a short walk to the main Westfield shopping centre.

Having chatted to the check-in staff, the fact that the hotel is grade II listed does limit some of the improvements they would like to make - e.g. A seating area outside, but hopefully they will get permission soon to ensure this hotel continues to go from strength to strength.

Thank you for giving my parents a wonderful experience to remember their golden wedding year by!! I will certainly be looking to stay very soon as I would like to experience the cocktails that also come very highly recommended!

Stayed April 2012
Good Afternoon,

I am so pleased that your parents enjoyed theor stay at the hotel. Our concierge team really loike to go the extra mile and will always put little treat and gestures in guetst room for special occasions.

Our Afternoon Tea is so popular and really has taken off since it was launched. All our cakes and finger sandwiches are make inhouse by our chefs, and are accompanied by our fine selection loose leaf teas. Whether its for a treat or after a mornings shopping, Afternon Tea is definetly something that has to be experienced.

I do hope you and your family return.

Best Wishes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Lovely stay, lovely breakfast. Hotel was in a lovely historical building, we had a great stay, it was on a quiet street but lots of restaurants and bars in both directions. Reception staff were very friendly. Room was a bit small but was modern and nice clean bathroom.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
kingston upon hull
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed here after deciding at the last minute to go away at Easter and this was one of very few hotels left with any rooms! We got a good deal on laterooms.

The hotel was easy to find, parking was fine, it was perfectly located for shopping and a night out. The staff were very friendly and helpful without being pushy and drinks in the bar and breakfast in the morning was lovely. There is lots of choice and very well cooked.

The actual building is beautiful and made the stay for me. It has lots of history and feels very luxurious. The room was small but perfect for a one-night stay. The bathroom was fairly new, very white and shiney and spotless clean. The bed is very comfoy and again, spotlessly clean.

Would strongly recommend for a romantic stay for a couple with high standards. We would stay again without hesitation if in the area again.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed here overnight after booking on Late Rooms - bargain! Friendly check in and gorgeous room. Hotel rooms of a fair size with high ceilings and nice decor. As previous reviews have said, the parquet flooring is a bit worn and loose but we didnt mind as it is in keeping with the style of the hotel - I would think that it is one of the original features that has been kept by the hotel - plasticised laminated flooring would not be a good look! Breakfast was in the Opulence Restaurant - gorgeous room with high corniced ceiling and wooden panelling. Choice of various options all cooked to order - my smoked salmon and scrambled eggs was very nice and my hubbie enjoyed his full english. All in all, a good nights sleep in a very nice hotel whch we would thoroughly recommend.

2 Thank Lolandjane