“Great Overnight Stay - Food Amazing - Staff lovely”

Cathedral Quarter Hotel
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked this hotel as a treat for a night away with Travelzoo, as they had a special offer. It was a lovely hotel the food was just amazing both for Dinner & Breakfast. The rooms are very nice and although they had originally given us a ground floor room with only a shower I asked if it was possible to move to a room with a bath which they did no problem at all. Only downside the lift was not working and the 3rd floor was quite a climb, but it was worth it. We. had a wonderful soak in the bath and also used the rain shower in the morning.
The coctails were great also.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed on friday 2nd May for a trip down memory lane from when my husband was an apprentice footballer for Derby County in 1980/81. We wanted to visit our old haunts and chose hotel because of the look and location.
I booked this hotel through a deal on travelzoo and what a deal it was!
The room, food , location, evening meal and breakfast was top class. The restaurant itself was immaculate, the tables nicely spaced apart and the table wear was classy with flowers on the table a lovely touch,but what really made the stay so enjoyable was the employees.
The waiters and waitresses in the restaurant for both evening meal and breakfast are a credit to the establishment. friendly and engaging, attentive and very professional. Despite being very young,all had lovely customer care skills.
Compliments to the Chef also! All 3 courses were superb.
Thank you for a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Room 28. not big but perfectly formed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Me and my husband stayed here on the 20th April 2014 for a friends wedding. We had issues checking in because there was a wedding the previous day so all the staff were frantically trying to set up for my friends wedding at 1400hrs. As a result we weren't able to check in until 1230 which didn't leave me much time to get ready.

Apart from that minor glitch at the beginning the rest of the stay was great. The staff did a brilliant job for my friends wedding.

Our room was beautifully decorated although it could have been cleaner. Currently living in military accommodation, my husband and I are well accustomed to cleaning to a very high standard and I'm afraid our room would not have passed a march out inspection.

Having said all this we enjoyed our stay and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I treated my Mother in Law and myself to an afternoon tea for an early mothers day treat.

The building and setting in the hotel are absolutely stunning and it was relatively quiet when we arrived, getting busier as we left.

We treated ourselves to a glass of bubbly and took advice from the waiter to tasting specific teas before eating and stewing the tea for the proper time. The food was beautifully well presented and lovely to taste too. We weren't rushed and everyone seemed to be enjoying ourselves. Excellent portions and a good serving of tea too.

If there was anything that let the service down it was getting anyone's attention to get the bill at the end, however a large group had arrived. Also the waiter could have done with a quick check over in the mirror as not only did his shirt not quite cover his belly but he had some lovely stains on his tie! Nothing that couldn't be rectified swiftly!

Definitely recommend this venue!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The reviews I read about this hotel were very positive and one of the main reasons for choosing to stay here. Perhaps I was unlucky, but apart from the location (parking is safe and close by) I thought it tried too hard. Some of the things in my room didn't work, pre-ordered dinner didn't come, the room was noisy from squeaky floors, and the room was much smaller than it looked in the pictures and per description.

Room Tip: Get the biggest you can afford. If you are plus size then better to stay out of town in a place wit...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My new husband and I had our wedding day here on 20th April 2014. The hotel and its staff were fantastic and there is not a single thing we could fault.

I stayed here from the Saturday in one of their beautiful suites which is set over two floors. It was beautiful and classy. I had a massage in their very relaxing spa that afternoon which again I can not fault.

Breakfast was included in the room price which again was amazing on all three mornings.

We had around 40 guest who travelled up from all over the UK to share our day and stayed at the hotel and everyone said how beautiful the hotel was and how helpful and friendly the staff were.

The actual ceremony room was beautifully dressed. Every detail from the ceremony to the evening reception was amazing. The staff that dressed the room and got everything read were brilliant. I am very particular and was sceptical as to whether they would be able to create the look that I wanted for both the ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening but they did it better that I could have done myself.

The General Manager, Moany was there at every point of our day and we can not thank him enough for all his efforts. The same goes for the rest of the staff that were involve din our day and weekend and helped to make it so memorable for us.

I would definitely recommend having a wedding here.

Room Tip: The suites are beautiful. They are set over two floors and can make a stay here really special. My...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We just got back from a one night stay here on the travelzoo offer. Lovely hotel. Fantastic value for money. Meal was lovely, had steaks which were perfect. Gorgeous breakfast in the morning. Hotel room was stylish with character yet modern. Really liked the cathedral quarter area. Lovely deli up the road called Jack Rabbits. Can't park at the hotel but there's a public car park (incidentally the safest in the world) 2 mins walk from hotel. Thankyou Cathedral quarter Hotel for a lovely stay :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Derby
Premier Inn Derby City Centre (Cathedral Quarter)
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Donington Manor Hotel
#7 of 7 in Castle Donington
Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland
Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights

Been to Cathedral Quarter Hotel? Share your experiences!