Arriving for a 2 night stay, first impressions were not good - I arrived and walked into what I thought was reception but seemed more like a nightclub, so went back outside to try to find reception. It turned out that I had indeed been in reception, but it was unlike any I had ever seen before; the ambiance and look of the reception/bar area was more akin to a nightclub (one of my colleagues had a more colourful turn of phrase for it which was very apt). The loud music in reception made it difficult to hear what the receptionist was saying, and this was accompanied by neon lights and projected images on the floor (maybe OK at the right time & place but not when checking in after a long day and drive). On both nights, I was woken up in the middle of the night by the TV leaping into life on its own and playing music - this also happened to a colleague as well, so it's not an isolated incident. The problem was confirmed by the receptionist when I complained; she apologized and said it happened fairly frequently and was a problem with the make of TV - sorry, not my problem fix it if you want people to come back!
Breakfast (which actually was OK) was spoiled by music being played far too loudly, but at least this time not accompanied by flashing lights. Finally the bed was very uncomfortable and clearly had not been replaced during the recent refurbishment.
Apart from the location, and the staff being polite and helpful, I cant think of anything else positive to say about the stay. I had a further night booked for next week but have cancelled and don't intend to go back.
All in all, a very unrelaxing and unsatisfactory experience; I'm not sure what the management are trying to achieve with the recent revamp but it doesn't work for me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From a perfect position in Pride Park, pentahotel Derby is a gateway to Derby’s business district and all the city’s attractions. Step inside and experience a hotel that’s proud to be different. Our pentalounge - part hotel reception, part cool club – is the heart of penta: a friendly chill-out zone, designed by Italian architectural maestro Mattheo Thun. Your only problem will be wanting to extend your stay! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your pentahotel Derby reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Encore Derby Hotel Derby
- Pentahotel Derby Derbyshire