“What are they trying to achieve?”
Review of pentahotel Derby

pentahotel Derby
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Arriving for a 2 night stay, first impressions were not good - I arrived and walked into what I thought was reception but seemed more like a nightclub, so went back outside to try to find reception. It turned out that I had indeed been in reception, but it was unlike any I had ever seen before; the ambiance and look of the reception/bar area was more akin to a nightclub (one of my colleagues had a more colourful turn of phrase for it which was very apt). The loud music in reception made it difficult to hear what the receptionist was saying, and this was accompanied by neon lights and projected images on the floor (maybe OK at the right time & place but not when checking in after a long day and drive). On both nights, I was woken up in the middle of the night by the TV leaping into life on its own and playing music - this also happened to a colleague as well, so it's not an isolated incident. The problem was confirmed by the receptionist when I complained; she apologized and said it happened fairly frequently and was a problem with the make of TV - sorry, not my problem fix it if you want people to come back!
Breakfast (which actually was OK) was spoiled by music being played far too loudly, but at least this time not accompanied by flashing lights. Finally the bed was very uncomfortable and clearly had not been replaced during the recent refurbishment.
Apart from the location, and the staff being polite and helpful, I cant think of anything else positive to say about the stay. I had a further night booked for next week but have cancelled and don't intend to go back.
All in all, a very unrelaxing and unsatisfactory experience; I'm not sure what the management are trying to achieve with the recent revamp but it doesn't work for me.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Colin S
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Colin,

Thank you for your review of your stay at pentahotel Derby.

First and foremost, I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. Yes, our check in desk forms part of our bar but this is what pentahotels offer - a beer during check in or an espresso during check out & it is a concept that so far has been received very positively & we believe it to work brilliantly.

In regards to the issue of your TV turning on, we are in discussion with the manufacturer of the model as we believe the issue lies with them - I agree that it is our problem but one that we are trying to resolve as it not something that is within our control to immediately fix.

Of course I am sorry that you will not be returning to stay with us, pentahotels offers something very unique & it clearly isn't something that appeals to you for which I am sorry to see.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Me and my partner stayed here for 2 nights when we travelled to derby for a football game. when we arrived we were shocked at how lovely this hotel is! We had a small problem with not having a remote for our tv in our room but that was quickly sorted out the following day. The hotel is in a great location with the harvester, chiqitos restaurants and to pride park. The rooms are very spaciest, and the bathrooms are huge! The breakfast was amazing, there was so much to choose from. I would definitely stay here again, great value for money, staff were very polite and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for your kind words following your stay with us at pentahotel Derby.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay but sorry that you were missing a remote control when you first arrived.

I hope we will see you back at another pentahotel in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The checking area is like a nightclub! After a long day, it can be a bit loud but and it is certainly a different concept. The rooms are clean and pleasant - the free bottle of water is appreciated. Breakfast is good also. Overall, it has a young vibe and if you are with friends, probably a good choice.

Stayed: August 2014
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience of your stay with us at pentahotels.

Yes, we are different and we are very proud of this! Our concept is unique in the market and I am really glad that despite your initial surprise, your rating suggests that you enjoyed your experience.

I hope that we will see you again soon,

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just had an amazing stay at the pentahotel, the staff couldn't do enough for us especially ryan and fran they made our stay just perfect. The breakfast was the best ive had great selection.Thank you hopefully we'll be back in derby soon.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your kind words following your stay with us at pentahotel Derby.

It was great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us & in particular that Fran & Ryan looked after you so well - I have personally passed on your thanks to them today!

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We're just returning from a one nights stay at the penta. For the price we found to be good value for money especially with the breakfast that was included. Location was good. Large free car park. Free wi Fi. Nice bar area with free pool table comfy sofas and x box game. Rooms basic but clean, bathroom was a wet room v nice.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank UkJetsetters
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for your kind words following your stay with us at pentahotel Derby.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay & liked our concept & I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is my second review, my first visit was literally, arrive, bed, leave!! On this occasion I have more time, and time well used.
The service and staff in this hotel are excellent - a lot of FAR FAR more expensive hotels could learn a great deal.
Every area I have been involved in today has been 100%. Query re CC Pre Auth, explained satisfactorily straight away. Query on food dealt with straight away.
The club sandwich and fries are to die for, SUPERB.
All in all I am confident in believing that the Penta will very quickly become the place to stay.

Room Tip: Just choose a room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Hi Kelvin,

Thanks for such a great review of your stay with us, I am really glad you had more time to enjoy the experience with us.

The team and I are always thankful of recieving such positive feedback & we look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed over on a Sunday night and got a good deal via booking.com. The hotel is smack bang in the middle of an industrial park but a 5 minute walk from the train station. Arrived Sunday afternoon and the place was deserted, once you are through the main doors it feels like you have just been transported into a trendy bar elsewhere. Well thought out design, friendly staff, great bar/lounge area. Bedrooms clean and functional, nice bathroom with walk in shower. Huge tv in bedroom, my only gripe was laminate floor (don't like it in bedrooms). The breakfast was possibly the best hotel breakfast I have ever eaten, amazing selection of everything you could possibly think of eating and drinking at breakfast. Would definitely use this chain in the future.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us here at pentahotels.

I am really pleased that you like our concept & I hope we will see you back again very soon.