“Generally fine, but a few minor issues”
Review of pentahotel Derby

pentahotel Derby
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed for two nights while on a business trip. Parking was straightforward with a good-sized and free carpark (although it appears that barriers are being fitted so perhaps this is going to change). As others have said the reception desk is also the bar, which is unusual, however check-in was fine and quick with friendly staff. Breakfast was pretty good, with a wide selection of hot and cold items in a self-service buffet.

The room was basic - similar in style to budget hotels such as Premier Inn or Travelodge - but perfectly acceptable and I found the bed comfortable. Only real complaints were that there was no hand soap in the bathroom, which was irritating. There were other toiletries - shower gel, shampoo, etc, but no hand soap. Also, the (huge!) TV had a really irritating remote control that only seemed to work intermittantly.

All in all a perfectly acceptable stay with just a couple of minor housekeeping issues. I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at pentahotels Derby.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay in the main part.

Sorry that we had ran out of handsoap at the time of your stay, this has now been resolved!

I hope that we will see you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Felt like I wanted into a mature night club the staff were brilliant. Only problem was the pillows. pillows were rubbish only complaint. The bedroom was spacey and warm. Breakfast was surprising it was open with self service and help yourself I was extremely pleased

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank James H

Hi James,

Thanks for your kind words following your stay with us at pentahotel Derby.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us & hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I am here on business so the location of the hotel and ease of access is great - but here are ominous signs of parking charges to come - a car park charge terminal is being installed - don't approve of that. It was a Ramada hotel - recently become a Penta. It is a modern block design. Rooms are functional, spacious and comfortable - aircon with opening windows - has a massive TV that dominates the room - lots of channels - but a lousy remote control systems that is slow to operate + slow WIFI - driving me nuts. Hotel reservations go through a centre in Germany - works fine on the internet - but is frustrating when you want something different - hotel staff can't help you. Public area is fun - nightclub look with sometimes too loud music that management cannot turn down - it is their branding image. Food is good but limited menu. Small but OK exercise room. Staff are great - they are what makes it fun to stay - helpful as they can be - always smiling. All in all - I like it here - staff are the differentiator....

Room Tip: Doesn't make too much difference which room - go for a higher floor - car park side - slightly b...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Hi Dominic,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us at pentahotel Derby.

I am pleased that in the main, you enjoyed your experience with us but sorry to hear that there are some niggles that we need to iron out.

I would be delighted to help you personally on these if I can - please do ask for me at the hotel directly & I hope to be able to make your stay even better next time.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed here for a few nights on business. On entering the hotel it does appear to be a bar - dark, with disco balls, projected logo etc. The bar facilities are a mixed bag - free pool and PS4 were the highlights, canned Guinness perhaps the low - they don't really do draught beer, but they know how to charge as if they do.
The rooms are adequate, if a little Travelodgey - rather minimalist, with no wardrobe. Decent TV, although it didn't have the Sky Movies the desk had claimed to provide, but I didn't really want that. Wireless internet is available, but they still charge for it. There was a fair amount of noise from people coming and going due to noisy fire doors, but not too bad.
Breakfast was good as buffets go - a reasonable selection of English breakfast (except for the watery scrambled egg), nice cheeseboard and a good selection of bread, and (randomly) Prosecco for those who like to start the day with a stiffener.
I'd probably stay at a different hotel next time (mainly as I can't stomach paying for wifi), but if you're looking for a fairly cheap hotel then it's worth considering.

Dear Ian,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us at pentahotel Derby, we appreciate your feedback.

To confirm that we do offer free WiFi to all guests at the hotel, our chargeable service is for an extremely hi-speed offering.

We do price our accomodation at a level that is slightly lower than those who offer free hi-speed internet as we would prefer to be transparent in our pricing rather than add these things in.

If you would consider returning to us, I would be happy to meet with you and discuss this & your other feedback in greater detail.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel. Was a guest before when the hotel was an encore hotel. The staff at this hotel are the best part, such lovely people who are willing to do anything to help you.

The reception has undergone recent refurbishment and looks good, very modern. The breakfast really stands out as a positive for this hotel.
The bedrooms however- haven't changed one bit from when the hotel was part of the encore franchise... For me as a guest I would have 100% preferred to see the updating of the bedrooms first and not the reception/bar area. I feel they should have been updated before the rest of the hotel. Beds are so small and hard and there is no mirror above the dressing table!!? Along with a rotting wooden floor!
The bathrooms are still the same, they are ok- kept very clean (lovely maid)
However, if you are giving little luxuries to guests In the form of free shampoo etc.. Make sure they are full and not empty. Also the glasses of water were covered in dust, not very appealing. We brought our own.

Overall a perfectly fine stay but for the same money could have got a premier inn which are consistent throughout each and everyone- with a very big and comfy bed!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Starry,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at pentahotels.

I am really surprised & sorry that we haven't impressed you with the changes that we have made and would love the opportunity to make things right for you.

If you could contact me directly by email - ben.thomas@pentahotels.com I would be most keen to apologise in person.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights with my young son as a base for alton towers.
I had read the reviews before so I knew what to expect on arrival. Overall a great hotel- good value and very trendy.
A few pointers you may wish to consider:
1. Place a discreet Reception sign on the bar- people like to be directed
2. Invest in some comfy beds- ours was not, but the sofa bed was worse! Couldn't use it
3. Have instructions in the room on how to use the wifi
4. If the movie service isn't working tell your guests upon checking in
5. Have someone top up the breakfast items- both mornings a lot of the items (bacon, fried eggs, pancakes) had ran out. 1st time was v. busy and almost 11am so understandable,2nd morning 3 other guests and 8.30am so not really understandable.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would stay again so all good

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us at pentahotels.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us but of course, disappointed that we did not deliver a consistent level of service throughout your stay.

Rest assured that I will be working to make things better and I hope that we will see you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have been staying in this hotel for a couple of times while it was Ramada Encore and a couple of times since they have changed to Pentahotel.
The staff is friendly and if there are any issues, they always trying to sort these. First time I stayed when hotel have changed to Pentahotel I didn't know that it's the same place as Ramada, and when I finally there, I got in and out to look for a reception only to be told by the staff that yes, this is a reception. I do agree with other people about the reception too. It is bit loud and lights can be a nuisance a little, but the it is different and I do like how it all looks together.
When I got into my room, I remembered that the last few times I stayed there, I didn't had a good sleep at all, due to squeaky bed. The receptionist, bless her, she let me in a few other rooms to see if the beds are any different but those have been the same. She did say that the hotel will be changing all the beds, I'm yet to see that. Plus, I am not fan of laminate flooring, but this is not a huge issue for me. I might think differently in a winter time.
And the last time I stayed there, a week or so ago, I had my USB with me, to finish to watch some TV series. It's a first time when I stayed in hotel where TV has USB port, yet I was not allowed to use it. I've been told that this is how they TVs works, they have some sort of system that allows them to sort my TV from the reception, yet they could not unable the USB port for me. I do appreciate they have free movies and other thing to watch, but even to get through to a BBC channel is another challenge. So many choices, press this and press that, that I gave up in the end.
Overall, I do like this hotel and when they change the beds and will allow me to use the USB port on they TVs, I will rate them as 5, for now it's only 4.

Room Tip: All rooms I stayed in have been quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Svetlana T

Dear Svetlana,

Thank you for the review of your stay with us at pentahotel Derby.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us but of course we will try to make the necessary improvements.

I hope that we will be able to confirm soon our plans to roll out more of the pentahotel brand standards including our beds.

Our interactive TV service does not currently allow USB playback but we may be able to assist with this on your next stay with us.

I hope to see you back again soon,