“Amazing reception”
Review of pentahotel Derby

pentahotel Derby
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The entrance to the hotel is modern. Loved the atmosphere and the staff were warm and welcoming. The room was a little disappointing as the room looked nothing like the pictures. Amazing breakfast though!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hi Amy,

Thank you for the review if your stay with us at Derby.

It was great to see that you enjoyed your stay in the main but sorry that you didn't feel the bedrooms were represented fairly, all of our rooms are identical in decor so I can assure you that the photographs are indicative of our bedrooms.

I hope that we will see you back again soon!

Ben

Write a ReviewReviews (1,801)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

we arrived at 1am after a long delayed journey from Epsom Surrey. We had a warm welcome and were able to have a drink in the bar . Good nights sleep and an excellent breakfast. Only problem was we had to get up early for our friends wedding. We would definitely recommend the hotel to our friends

Hi Anne,

Thank you for the kind words following your stay with us at pentahotel Derby.

It was great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us & I hope that next time you will get to spend a little longer with us.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The location of this hotel was good for me. The hotel lobby is very dark and has a particular smell to it, one i would associate to cat wee. The room I had was basic and the description of my room did not fit what i was given.
The towels had diry stains on them so it was a good job I had my own. The bed itself was small but comfortable. I am not a tall person in way but even my feet were out of the bed.

1  Thank Sarah D
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

HI Sarah,

Thanks for your feedback following your stay with us at pentahotel Derby.

I am really sorry that you had a poor experience with us & that the scent system that we use wasn't your liking.

I would be really keen to hear more about your stay with us & to try & make things better for you. If you could contact me directly at ben.thomas@pentahotels.com I will certainly try to do this for you.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed for two nights while on a business trip. Parking was straightforward with a good-sized and free carpark (although it appears that barriers are being fitted so perhaps this is going to change). As others have said the reception desk is also the bar, which is unusual, however check-in was fine and quick with friendly staff. Breakfast was pretty good, with a wide selection of hot and cold items in a self-service buffet.

The room was basic - similar in style to budget hotels such as Premier Inn or Travelodge - but perfectly acceptable and I found the bed comfortable. Only real complaints were that there was no hand soap in the bathroom, which was irritating. There were other toiletries - shower gel, shampoo, etc, but no hand soap. Also, the (huge!) TV had a really irritating remote control that only seemed to work intermittantly.

All in all a perfectly acceptable stay with just a couple of minor housekeeping issues. I would stay again.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at pentahotels Derby.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay in the main part.

Sorry that we had ran out of handsoap at the time of your stay, this has now been resolved!

I hope that we will see you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Felt like I wanted into a mature night club the staff were brilliant. Only problem was the pillows. pillows were rubbish only complaint. The bedroom was spacey and warm. Breakfast was surprising it was open with self service and help yourself I was extremely pleased

1  Thank James H

Hi James,

Thanks for your kind words following your stay with us at pentahotel Derby.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us & hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I am here on business so the location of the hotel and ease of access is great - but here are ominous signs of parking charges to come - a car park charge terminal is being installed - don't approve of that. It was a Ramada hotel - recently become a Penta. It is a modern block design. Rooms are functional, spacious and comfortable - aircon with opening windows - has a massive TV that dominates the room - lots of channels - but a lousy remote control systems that is slow to operate + slow WIFI - driving me nuts. Hotel reservations go through a centre in Germany - works fine on the internet - but is frustrating when you want something different - hotel staff can't help you. Public area is fun - nightclub look with sometimes too loud music that management cannot turn down - it is their branding image. Food is good but limited menu. Small but OK exercise room. Staff are great - they are what makes it fun to stay - helpful as they can be - always smiling. All in all - I like it here - staff are the differentiator....

Room Tip: Doesn't make too much difference which room - go for a higher floor - car park side - slightly b...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Hi Dominic,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us at pentahotel Derby.

I am pleased that in the main, you enjoyed your experience with us but sorry to hear that there are some niggles that we need to iron out.

I would be delighted to help you personally on these if I can - please do ask for me at the hotel directly & I hope to be able to make your stay even better next time.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed here for a few nights on business. On entering the hotel it does appear to be a bar - dark, with disco balls, projected logo etc. The bar facilities are a mixed bag - free pool and PS4 were the highlights, canned Guinness perhaps the low - they don't really do draught beer, but they know how to charge as if they do.
The rooms are adequate, if a little Travelodgey - rather minimalist, with no wardrobe. Decent TV, although it didn't have the Sky Movies the desk had claimed to provide, but I didn't really want that. Wireless internet is available, but they still charge for it. There was a fair amount of noise from people coming and going due to noisy fire doors, but not too bad.
Breakfast was good as buffets go - a reasonable selection of English breakfast (except for the watery scrambled egg), nice cheeseboard and a good selection of bread, and (randomly) Prosecco for those who like to start the day with a stiffener.
I'd probably stay at a different hotel next time (mainly as I can't stomach paying for wifi), but if you're looking for a fairly cheap hotel then it's worth considering.

Dear Ian,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us at pentahotel Derby, we appreciate your feedback.

To confirm that we do offer free WiFi to all guests at the hotel, our chargeable service is for an extremely hi-speed offering.

We do price our accomodation at a level that is slightly lower than those who offer free hi-speed internet as we would prefer to be transparent in our pricing rather than add these things in.

If you would consider returning to us, I would be happy to meet with you and discuss this & your other feedback in greater detail.