“A hotel for everyone - enjoy sightseeing and pampering”

and 1 more site!
Birchover Darley Abbey
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Derby
uk
“A hotel for everyone - enjoy sightseeing and pampering”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights, in a 2 bedroom penthouse suite. Its a great location for visiting Derby town to do a little sightseeing/shopping, and also visiting some of the many Derbyshire villages nearby. But best of all the facilities in the apartment were fabulous, the sauna was a real treat combined with a relaxing face mask we had our own mini spa!
The kitchen was well equipped, I even had a chance to indulge in some baking.

The rooms were spotless and the beds very comfortable indeed. I found all the staff polite and helpful, the free dvd library was a real bonus too.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Dear daisyandangel

I was so pleased to read your review and that so many aspects of your stay were good. It sounds like you and your sister put the apartments to great use! I think that's a first that someone has done some baking in the apartment (certainly the first time I've known) and I'm just sorry I didn't pop by for some cakes!!

We're really pleased that you've highlighted how the location is good both for visiting Derby city centre and also the lovely villages (and market towns) directly north on the A6 as you head up into the Peak District.

Lisa W and our brand new housekeeper Eva were the ladies who cleaned your apartment to the 'spotless' standard (we always like to mention them when they've given great service) and Chloe was the lady who welcomed you on arrival. All of the staff members I've met who came into contact with you have mentioned how lovely you were and I'm so pleased that it was felt the other way too. I do hope you can return sometime so that I can meet you personally and thank you once again for such a kind review.

Carl, Lisa and the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

This was the second time I've used these apartments and yet again they didn't disappoint.
Our apartment was one of the superior 1 bedroom which basically means top floor and therefore a bit more private - whereas ground floor and first floor are sitting rooms are all pretty easy to see into from the car park.
As usual the place was very clean and warm. The sauna in the bathroom was an excellent antidote to a bitterly cold day!
I really like having all the usual equipment you use at home - like toaster, microwave, cafetiere, dishwasher, washing machine - which all make a stay here very easy.
The location is good for access to the A38 and therefore M1 north or north Derbyshire. However, the position next to this road means a little noise at the bedroom side of the flat although the double glazing does a good job. Not surer what it would be like in summer if you wanted to open the bedroom window!
I'd definitely go back there as by parents live nearby and it's an ideal home away from home with everything you need for weekend or a longer stay.

• Stayed January 2013
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear Ian_On_The_Rock

It is always great when a regular/repeat guest provides a positive review for us, as our team then have evidence that we are consistently 'getting it right'. It also means a lot to us that you are an experienced reviewer and that we are only the second hotel which you feel deserves 5 out of 5.

The "home away from home" comment is our most frequent piece of feedback and, given that you seem likely to return to visit parents, I'm pleased we can offer that comfort. The apartments were originally designed for long-term guests and so now that we accept bookings for all durations from 1 night upwards, everyone gets that benefit!

We appreciate the concerns that you might have regarding traffic noise in the summer and my response to the review further below (18 February) outlines some of the tactics we have to keep apartments cool in the summer. I hope that if you ever stay in summer months, we can demonstrate how that works (assuming we get a long-enough spell of hot weather in the first place!).

We look forward to welcoming you back and please let us know when you're next in Derby to visit your parents, as we'd like to say thank you personally.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2013

A group of 4 girls stopped in these apartments in November 2012. We booked a 3 night package as part of a special deal which was outstanding value! We were all extremeley impressed with the apartment, with not one thing to fault.

We were greeted by a very friendly lady, (sorry I forget her name) who then took us to the apartment. She was very helpful and welcoming.

The apartment was everything we needed and more, the bedrooms were very large and the beds very comfortable. We didn't get chance to use the sauna, but it looked lovely.

The kitchen was well equipped and was perfect for cooking, the lounge and sitting area were large and comfortable and the addition of a ipod/iphone dock was a welcome surprise.

I would recommend these apartments to everyone, couples, families and friends, and intend on returning as soon as we can. Much nicer than stopping in a hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jodi511
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear Jodi511

Thank you very much for your review - it's always fantastic to get such great feedback about the apartments and our team.

I've done some detailed research to find your date of stay back in November and can happily confirm that it was Sami who greeted you that day, so I'll ensure Sami reads your kind words.

I'm really pleased that you found so many aspects of the stay to be of a high standard and, naturally, we'd love you and your friends to return. Please feel free to contact me directly when you do return and I will do my best to ensure you get the same apartment.

Best wishes, Jodi

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This was the second time we stayed at the Birchover Apartments but were very disappointed with the handling of a 'situation' by the head of housekeeping and staff. Basically our 2 year old had spilt a cup of water on their one sofa and they had the audacity to claim it was wee. Our son is still in nappies and we saw it happen but they would not listen to us or believe us. It was horrifying that people in the service industry could treat people like we were treated. It is a real shame as well as the place was ideal for people with families.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MH2012_13
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear MH2012_13

Because your review contains some very important inaccuracies, we are in discussions with Trip Advisor. If the review remains on the site following their assessment, then we will post a full and detailed management response at a later date.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

I booked this apartment very last minute 6pm the night before my stay.

Communication was excellent and the guided tour of the apartment helped me settle in quickly. I had a two bed which also had a Sauna which was not used as I had little time and on my own, although this was Valentines day I was meeting two ex colleagues for dinner.

The apartments are the best I have stayed at, they were large ideal for families and more cost effective than a Hotel, plus you have essentially a house to your self no sitting on the edge of the bed watching TV.

The apartment was spotless, the bed was very comfy with no noise from the road or from other occupiers.

I have recommended this establishment to friends, family and colleagues, which is testament to my experience.

I walked into Derby a good 3 miles there's a bus service which is cheaper than a taxi.

A Great stay, but one night was not enough.

• Stayed February 2013
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Dear myalfagt

Thank you so much for your detailed, kind and informative review. We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the whole experience - from our initial communication through to the welcome you received.

We always like to name the staff who made your stay so special. On this occasion, Marion and Annette were the housekeepers who cleaned your 'spotless' apartment and Sami was the lady who showed you around the apartment itself.

It's always wonderful when people feel they can recommend us to friends, family and colleagues. We hope that you yourself can return someday soon and please contact Carl directly if you do - as we'd like to say thank you personally.

We're now in the fantastic position that 24 of our last 25 reviews have given us top marks on Trip Advisor. As a small family business, every review like this is a real boost to our team and makes their experience of working here really special. We'll keep working hard to make it a great place for guests and staff to be.

Thanks again,
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I wanted to celebrate valentines day by cooking a meal for my other half. And we definitely celebrated at birchover.
The number of times I had mentioned birchover and my other half had tuened his nose up was endless! But gosh did me and birchover prove him wrong!
It was spotless, concise, fancy, and much much more!
I had to wait 5 minutes for someone to show me to my room, which was no problem! The lady who showed me around was lovely and made sure I knew every necessary detail about the apartment. Very impressed!
Had all the cooking equipment necessary for a great three course meal- which surprised me!
So, the only negative would be that I probably wouldn't come in the summer. The only reason is the noisy A38, if you want the bedroom window open then you won't sleep at night. But because its winter, opening the window wasn't necessary for us.
Overall, a perfect place when you want more space than just a tiny hotel room. Great price. All great great great.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear jducksbury

What a fantastic review!! And whilst we don't want to be the cause of any relationship strife, I'm pleased that we did help you prove your partner wrong!!

Lots of credit then should go to our housekeepers Marion and Chrissy, who were the ladies who cleaned your apartment on the day - and to Sami, who showed you around.

We're really pleased you had a great time and wanted to let you (and anyone reading this response) know about our summer strategy(!). For all arriving guests, we ensure that we air the apartments during the day by opening the windows and that we keep any curtains closed in rooms where the sun could heat up the room (we have floor-to-ceiling windows in many apartments). We provide fans and during the night, guests in upper floor apartments also leave lounge windows (on the non-A38 side) open. All those strategies mean we have happy and cool summer guests.

Thank you so much for the lovely review and we hope you and your partner come back again soon.

Usk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Decided to stay in Derby after dropping our son off at his uni digs. This is because the commute is at least a five hour drive. After thoroughly searching Trip advisor's reviews and ratings for accommodation, decided to try Birchover apartments, for a chilled evening! What a pleasant find. The apartment was spotlessly clean, well equipped, fee wi-fi which was reliable and useful, with an added bonus of a sauna provided. You are given a personal touch here which you do not find in a chain hotel. If your in two minds about staying here - my advise would be - book it, for you will be very pleased with your decision! Will defiantly stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Dear Allenfamily1030

We are all extremely happy that you had such a good night with us. Christine and Magine were the two ladies who cleaned your apartment to the 'spotlessly clean' standard and so I wanted to name them personally.

It's wonderful and reassuring that you felt that other Trip Advisor reviews were a fair reflection of what we offer and thank you so much for taking the time to place a review on here.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back and hopefully you will be able to stay for more than one night. Looking forward to seeing you soon,