“Yes please!”

Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Derby, United Kingdom
“Yes please!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

What stunning apartments - large rooms, basically Narnia's wardrobe that leads into a sauna! We even popped down to reception and borrowed a couple of DVD's - Jack Whitehall was hilarious whilst we're rating things!

There was plenty of crockery - a fridge/ freezer/ dishwasher etc. and the air con was really useful as there was a lot of noise from A38 so you would not sleep with the windows open, apart from that ...GREAT :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Ells1090

It was great to see that you had a really positive stay with us. I'll happily take any review that starts with 'stunning' and ends with 'great'!

I know that the team all enjoyed meeting you and so the feeling is definitely mutual! Elaine and Lesley on Reception would have been the ladies assisting with the DVD selection and I'm in agreement with you on Jack Whitehall!

I know that you're from Derby itself, so hope that you'll be able to find a reason to revisit us, or perhaps come and pop in if friends or family are ever staying. It would be great to welcome you again.

Best wishes and thank you again for such a positive review,
Carl, Lisa and the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I've never experienced such service before. On top of providing incredible comfortable and well-appointed accommodation, the Birchover Hotel Apartments also offered some complimentary basic groceries, full-sized appliances, and conveniences well beyond what I could find at traditional hotels at such a low price. The spacious floor plan was bigger than my own apartment, offering a second bedroom, second full bath, and a sauna large enough for three. Incredible apartment. The staff went above and beyond, by the way. On my second day staying with Birchover, my three-year-old daughter became ill and needed medical attention. I mentioned it to one of the managers, Elaine, in order to ask directions for a treatment facility. This could have all been somewhat stressful for a foreign traveler like me (American), but she made it effortless. Elaine stopped what she was doing immediately, invited my wife, daughter, and me into her own car, and she drove us to a nearby NHS walk-in center. I'm deeply impressed, and I'm grateful to everyone at Birchover who had a hand in making us feel comfortable and welcome. Thank you all so much!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Drewber
Dear Drew

I was delighted to read your review and to see that so many aspects of your stay were rated so highly. Obviously, we are always really pleased to receive reviews praising the comfort of the apartment or the service provided, but what really stands out for me here is the proactive nature of Elaine when your daughter fell ill during your stay. I know that when we discussed this in person afterwards, you and your wife were grateful for her quick and selfless automatic reaction to drive you to the Walk-In Centre.

It was great to see your daughter make a full recovery and I hope that you had a stress-free onward journey to London and then Bratislava.

It is this kind of natural caring attitude that we hope is present in all our staff when guests come to stay and we have thanked Elaine for her reaction.

We would love for you to return if you get the opportunity in what seems to be a very busy schedule! Perhaps you'll be able to see more of the local area and sample some more of the Dancing Duck 'Ay Up' beer you said you enjoyed! Hope to see you again.

Best wishes to you and your family from Carl, Lisa and the team
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Great stay on a Groupon voucher.
Excellent accommodation and sevice from reception,
Would recommend to anynone who needed a home from home base in Derby.
Rooms were clean and comfortable, and we felt completely at home.
Thanks again Birchover.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
We are very grateful for your extremely positive review of your recent stay with us. I am really pleased that you found the accommodation and service to be excellent and that you felt it was a 'home from home'. This is the overriding aim for us when guests come to stay.

Unfortunately we are unable to identify you - and therefore when you stayed - but I'll ensure that all staff see this feedback in the housekeeping and Meet & Greet teams.

East Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Rooms very spacious and clean. Was great to have kitchen facilities. We were part of a Groupon deal and were greeted with a bottle of chilled Prosecco, milk and orange juice. The receptionist was helpful and extremely attentive. We did move rooms, as our neighbours (above) were noisy, i could hear them walking up and down...bizarre. Im a very light sleeper and asked if we could be moved, they quickly arranged another room and it was perfect. I cannot thank the staff enough as that made my weekend much more relaxed. Room was supplied with hairdryer, ironing board, iron, cereal, tea, coffee, was extremely pleased with our choice to go here. Location ideal, not far away from a handful of pubs and restaurants, 10 minutes away from the city centre and about 45 minutes from Twycross Zoo which was excellent. Will definitely return. Thanks

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KittenFluff

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay with us. I was delighted to hear that Chloe handled your request to move apartments so sensitively and rapidly. Your apartment had been cleaned by Karen and our brand new housekeeper Brenda - so well done team! It's always important to us that guests feel totally relaxed when staying with us.

You've kindly outlined a lot of the features of the apartment and our proximity to the city centre and Twycross Zoo - another attraction worth visiting; we had a lovely family day out there recently.

I'm delighted that you'd like to return and we look forward to welcoming you back to Birchover.

Surrey
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Birchover never ever fails to impress me. We had a fantastic weekend away with friends to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The rooms, as always, were super clean and to a very high spec. Tiny things had been thought of, from an ipod docking station to a cafetiere. Staff were friendly but not over-imposing and, even though there wasn't any reason to contact them during our stay, they gave you the absolute feeling that nothing would have been a problem for them.

The beds and bedding are extremely comfortable and the sauna (off the main en suite) just adds that little bit of luxury that makes these apartments stand out from the rest of accommodation that's on offer in Derby.

The outside areas (car park, gardens etc) are also clean and extremely well maintained. We all walked across the road and into Darley Abbey village. Its about a twenty minute walk and the park is really pretty. Theres a large tea rooms that seemed really popular but we bypassed that and headed for the pub in the village (The Abbey). Good beer and nice for a cheap lunch.

I have no hesitation in recommending these apartments - top notch hotel luxury with loads of space and every detail thought of.

Will we be going back - of course.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear mrkbtlr

Thank you (once again) for your review of us here on Trip Advisor. We were very happy that you booked to return with several friends and it is always a pleasure having you come to stay with us. I hope that you had a fantastic wedding anniversary and it seems you had fun exploring the local area! As a real ale lover, I totally concur with you on the good beers in The Abbey pub - it's definitely our favourite local here.

You stayed on the same weekend as the lady in the review below, so once again I am immensely proud to give Chrissy recognition for another memorable welcome - well done Chrissy! Since joining the management team in September, every single one of the 25 reviews we've had on Trip Advisor since then have been 100%...that's some record! Well done.

Ann and Maria (also mentioned in the previous review) were the ladies responsible for your 'super clean' apartments.

We are really pleased that so many aspects of your weekend with us on this special occasion were positive. Our team are passionate about making sure that everyone has a relaxing time and even more so when it's for a special occasion.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you again and thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review (for a second time!).

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Visited these superb apartments for the first time using a travel-zoo voucher. Original offer was for one night but was emailed an offer for a second night which we took advantage of. Lovely friendly people to deal with including a courtesy phone call the day before our visit. Our apartment was on third floor easily accessed by lift or stairs. Everywhere was beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. The apartment had everything that we could possibly need and so comfortable and spacious. The sauna was a great bonus. We had a wonderful stay with easy access to the Derbyshire Dales and Peak District. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: All rooms are to the same high standard.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear sue n

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of our hotel and of the staff. It's really heartening to see that you felt we were lovely, friendly people to deal with.

For the umpteenth time recently, it was Chrissy on Reception who would have been responsible for welcoming you to Birchover. Anna (who we recently presented with a bouquet of flowers for consistently being responsible for great Trip Advisor reviews), together with Maria and Karen were the ladies who cleaned your 'spotless' apartment.

It sounds like you had a lovely weekend exploring the local area and I am really pleased that you would like to return. We are really looking forward to welcoming you back.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed 2 nights and were blown away by the beautiful decor. What an amazing apartment and great value. The beds were so comfortable we had our children sleeping in past 8:30am the next morning (which never happens!) We will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Marissa P

Wow! Thank you so much for your review and we, too, are blown away! We're really pleased that you've taken the time (6 months after your stay) to write such a lovely review. And to see that you "will definitely return" when you live in Melbourne is amazing!! I'm so pleased that we must have made such a good impression.

As parents of two young children, Lisa and I can totally sympathise with how you must have felt when your children slept in past 8.30am!! What bliss.

We've now had 38 reviews on Trip Advisor since you stayed last September - and 37 of those have given us 100%. I really am so proud of the team for consistently delivering such great service. Perhaps you were the catalyst and lucky charm in us going on this run of terrific reviews and so it will be a nice challenge for us now to keep this up until you decide to return!

Thank you so much once again and I'll definitely make sure I take the time to come and say thank you personally when you make your next trip over from Melbourne.

Best wishes to you and your family,