“Outstanding service, warm cosy place well located”
Review of Lawns Hotel

Lawns Hotel
Ranked #7 of 24 Derby B&B and Inns
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Outstanding service, warm cosy place well located”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at the Lawns Hotel first week of July and found the hotel very comfortable and the staff warm and thoughtful. The breakfast was delicious.. We inadvertently left belongings in our room after departure and the manager phoned us then very generously wrapped them carefully and sent them all the way back to New Zealand for us free of charge. We were blown away and would heartily recommend this hotel as it was overall a marvelous experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
UK
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed mid-week in July 2014 after buying a Groupon voucher for a two night stay. When we arrived the pub downstairs was really busy with guests and locals as it was dinner time. It seemed like a lovely place for a meal and drink. We got shown to our room by a really friendly member of staff and when we saw the room we couldn't believe how spacious it was, it was more than just a bedroom. There was a lovely little sitting area next with the tea/coffee making facilities. We had room 1 so don't know if the other rooms are the same or not. There were a few bits in the room that could have done with a tiny bit of work, for example some small drilled holes in walls that hadn't been covered up and the bathroom was a bit small. However, these are things that are purely cosmetic and nothing to worry about at all. There is wifi in the room with pretty good speed. The room was clean and had all the necessary items, hair dryer, some toiletries etc.

The best thing was how friendly, helpful and willing to make our stay and nice as possible. For example breakfast was served until 9am (the cooked breakfast was fabulous, made from decent ingredients as well as being a very generous portion), I asked if I could take a cooked breakfast up to the room for my partner who wanted a lie in on both mornings and the team who served and cooked could not have been more helpful and understanding. They wanted to make sure that it was cooked just in time so that it would not get cold by the time I had eaten mine. They made sure that I had everything, including sauces etc. Such wonderful staff, always willing to chat and tell you what the local attractions are, show you directions etc.

We would definitely stay again, excellent customer service.

Room Tip: We had room 1 which was plenty big enough, not just a bedroom but a sitting area and large double wa...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kietfila
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed at The Lawns recently on a Groupon deal for a friends birthday. From arrival to departure we were treated to the highest standard. The room, whilst small, was more than adequate and spotlessly clean. The weather was hot and the owner went to great lengths to ensure we had a fan for the room. Our room was at the front of the hotel and yes, with the window open, there was a bit of noise from people sat outside but some of the conversations we overheard were priceless and only added to the experience!! The food was superb and i would travel back in a heartbeat for Chef's chocolate cake. Breakfast was good for the money we paid. If you want luxury and gourmet eating then be prepared to pay for it. I wouldn't hesitate to return and i wish the owners of The Lawns all the success in the world - you deserve it!

Room Tip: Chill out and enjoy a bargain break!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jo V
Lawns C, General Manager at Lawns Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for such positive feedback!

I'm pleased to hear you had such a wonderful time, and that you might be returning to us in the future.

I will pass your feedback to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again very soon!
uk
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Loffi what did you expect,
rooms small yes, pub/restaurant/hotel yes, popular with locals, must be because its good? Food rubbish, no. Cereal and a full English er its the UK thats what we have.
Too much salt? Did you ask to have it changed I love salt (its good for you, mind not if you have high BP, (even then I dont believe that) which it sounds like you might....)
Its a B&B yes in a village but also a modern village near a main road, but was convenient, clean, friendly and popular. Oh and cheap!

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room?
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lawns C, General Manager at Lawns Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for a positive review, and for pointing out our positive points.

Whilst we are a busy establishment we do strive to deliver the best experience for each and everyone of our customers, locals and new visitors alike.

As always we will always try to fulfil any request or requirements a guest has.

We look forward to seeing you again at the lawns.
uk
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Recently returned from a 2 night groopon deal for the lawns.
The lawns hotel should really make it clear it is a pub/restaurant with a few rooms. When we arrived there was literally nowhere to park. We were advised to park at the local coop or on the road, neither of which was what i wanted to do. I would suggest a handful of bays for guests would be beneficial as it is far from ideal to be advised to park elsewhere when staying.
As expected we were allocated the smallest of rooms, which on a plus was nice and clean. The room was overlooking the front of the pub which due to sunny weather had attracted a loud noisy crowd many of whom were smoking, which came into the room. The double glazing in the room was effective although hardly what you want to do when it is boiling hot, we thought that the glazing would be our saving grace until either side of us returned to their rooms at god knows what time – you could hear everything – need i say more !!!!.
Breakfast was equally disappointing – cornflakes or rice crispies, orange juice, no other choice, no fruit, yoghurt, nothing – i can honesty say that i have never stayed anywhere which has not offered a piece of fruit on a morning (the recommendation is now 7 a day guys !). The cooked breakfast had the saltiest scrambled egg ever cooked if the chef had not dropped the salt shaker then i can only assume the life expectancy of the area is around 35 – it was literally heart stopping.

Room Tip: room 4 looked more spacious and was away from the front area and did not have direct neighbours so m...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank loffi
Lawns C, Owner at Lawns Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Sir / Madam

Firstly, I would like to express how saddened I am that your stay did not meet your expectations.
Here, at The Lawns Hotel my company’s ethos is good quality at a fair price. I still believe that (be it a small, clean, well decorated and presented room) to include breakfast, a cream tea for two and the rooms for £49 inclusive of VAT is a fair price.

As you mentioned we are a very busy hotel with our bar and restaurant being visited by guests staying in the rooms as well as locals alike. This I feel to be another example of how prices are correct and fair. As you also mentioned all our food is prepared by chefs and cooked to order. I know if you had asked for your breakfast to be remade with less or no salt being added my staff would have understandably obliged.

Had it been bought to our attention that smoke from other patrons outside your room was disturbing you; we did have two other rooms available on the back of the building which we would have happily moved you to. Most of our guests prefer to be on the front of the building as the rooms are in direct sunlight in the evenings. Granted the temperature is not usually as high as this past weekend.
As a professional and someone who takes great pride in providing the best service I can to all my customers, I strongly feel that all of your complaints could have been resolved if we were made aware.

I hope I speak for all people who work within the customer service industry, that we want your stay to be as enjoyable as possible and any issues that may arise are dealt with promptly, as not to taint your experience. Thank you for your comments; we take all feedback as an opportunity to improve.

Kind Regards
Charles Lindsay
Proprietor
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary this week and to celebrate I surprised him with a little break. I booked through groupon and we stayed in the annex it was lovely and spacious and very clean we had a cream tea on arrival and we booked in for an evening meal. We enjoyed drinks outside then had our meal which was very nice although a lot of salt was used on the homemade chips but on letting charles know was rectified with the most amazing desserts given to us complimentary. We enjoyed a full English breakfast the following morning! On a whole we would definately stay again Olivia on the bar was so polite and helpful Ben who served us in the evening was also very polite and Charles well nothing was too much trouble so very polite and attentive so thank you for making our stay truly enjoyable and making our wedding anniversary one to remember !!! :-)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine L
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

took a chance here for a late booking before going on to our bike rally , got room 12 fantastic looking a bit small and cramped ,super comfy bed and warm room , nice size bath even for someone like my self ,breakfast included in the price at £55 quid breakfast was hot and tasty and happy smiling face and pretty chatty that served us never got her name but a credit to the hotel...... now the bad bits directly below our room was one of the doors to the kitchen which constantly banged and woke me out of a deep sleep this door went on for 4 hrs and wasn't left open till we went down and pointed out we had been istening to it for hours and then it was jammed open im sure someone must have complained about it before ,the other complaint was the dog people in room 4 had a dog which barked most the evening till they came back and then again in the morning ,when I mentioned it I was told there was no dog but I heard it on the way to breakfast and just before I left was told there was in actual fact a dog ...... on leaving I paid the bill of £55 with no reduction for the dog barking and door banging may I suggest if your letting a room out to people with a dog they aren't allowed to keep it in a room unattended and have some thought for other patrons .......we hope to visit next year as its a handy place for a stay on route to our rally

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend room 12 because of the noise of the kitchen doors , I marked the room as p...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank warrior1692
Lawns C, General Manager at Lawns Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you for the feedback on your stay, I'm pleased to hear you found the room comfortable and enjoyed the breakfast.

I would like to apologise however for the noise you experienced from the kitchen doors, we have never had any other complaints about this but rest assured we have taken measures to assure there will not be any more noise from the doors, but I would like to thank you for bringing it to our attention!

Unfortunately the members of staff working on the night of your stay were unaware of the noise from the other room until this was bought to their attention. Once again I would like to apologise that you were disrupted during your stay.

We do hope to see you again soon at The Lawns
Also consider these accommodations in or near Derby
Aston Court Hotel
Travelodge Derby Pride Park
ibis budget Derby
ibis budget Derby
#1 of 1 in Willington

Been to Lawns Hotel? Share your experiences!