“Poor management”

Ranked #6 of 25 Derby B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Poor management”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The management agreed a price by phone on 3 separate occasions, but then thought it was ok
to go back on the price and overcharge one we had arrived. The afternoon tea was very poor
stale scones and squirty cream. In fairness the breakfast was good. Drinks overpriced. Tired rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mara172014
Lawns C, General Manager at Lawns Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
I'm sorry to hear you had a poor experience with us here at The Lawns.

I am surprised to hear you thought the cream tea was poor and the rooms tired, as you can see from other reviews these are not comments we usually receive. The room have in recent months been refurbished.

As you mentioned you had the cream tea with your stay that would mean you stayed with us in our promotional rate which isn't subject to change, I will how ever investigate your comment to ensure we do not encounter any more issues.

I do feel to say our drinks are overpriced is unfair. As we do stay competitive with other business in the surrounding area and are cheaper on the whole. With what I feel is a great atmosphere and surroundings.

I do hope you will visit us again soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Tyne & wear
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at The Lawns on a Groupon deal on the way back from visiting relations in Hampshire. When we arrived we were shown to our 'room' this was another building in the car park called Wendy House. It was lovely, it's was a ground floor apartment, all mod cons, and very comfortable. A small moan was there was no mirror except for one in the bathroom or no hair dryer. I had brought my own, it was a bit difficult drying your hair in the bathroom mirror. Also I couldn't get wifi due to the room being away from the main building. We had a cream tea included in the deal and it was gorgeous.
The breakfast was lovely, very well cooked and plentiful. There was also cereal and fruit juice provided.
The staff were lovely and friendly. I would definately recommend this lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: If you want wifi choose a room in the hotel.
Lawns C, General Manager at Lawns Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed you recent stay with us.

I have taken note of your comments regarding the mirror and the wifi and are working on extending the signal to the wendy house.

Thank you for your great feedback on the cream & breakfast, I will pass all your comments to the team.

We look forward to see you again soon.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at the Lawns Hotel first week of July and found the hotel very comfortable and the staff warm and thoughtful. The breakfast was delicious.. We inadvertently left belongings in our room after departure and the manager phoned us then very generously wrapped them carefully and sent them all the way back to New Zealand for us free of charge. We were blown away and would heartily recommend this hotel as it was overall a marvelous experience.

UK
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed mid-week in July 2014 after buying a Groupon voucher for a two night stay. When we arrived the pub downstairs was really busy with guests and locals as it was dinner time. It seemed like a lovely place for a meal and drink. We got shown to our room by a really friendly member of staff and when we saw the room we couldn't believe how spacious it was, it was more than just a bedroom. There was a lovely little sitting area next with the tea/coffee making facilities. We had room 1 so don't know if the other rooms are the same or not. There were a few bits in the room that could have done with a tiny bit of work, for example some small drilled holes in walls that hadn't been covered up and the bathroom was a bit small. However, these are things that are purely cosmetic and nothing to worry about at all. There is wifi in the room with pretty good speed. The room was clean and had all the necessary items, hair dryer, some toiletries etc.

The best thing was how friendly, helpful and willing to make our stay and nice as possible. For example breakfast was served until 9am (the cooked breakfast was fabulous, made from decent ingredients as well as being a very generous portion), I asked if I could take a cooked breakfast up to the room for my partner who wanted a lie in on both mornings and the team who served and cooked could not have been more helpful and understanding. They wanted to make sure that it was cooked just in time so that it would not get cold by the time I had eaten mine. They made sure that I had everything, including sauces etc. Such wonderful staff, always willing to chat and tell you what the local attractions are, show you directions etc.

We would definitely stay again, excellent customer service.

Room Tip: We had room 1 which was plenty big enough, not just a bedroom but a sitting area and large double wa...
1 Thank Kietfila
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed at The Lawns recently on a Groupon deal for a friends birthday. From arrival to departure we were treated to the highest standard. The room, whilst small, was more than adequate and spotlessly clean. The weather was hot and the owner went to great lengths to ensure we had a fan for the room. Our room was at the front of the hotel and yes, with the window open, there was a bit of noise from people sat outside but some of the conversations we overheard were priceless and only added to the experience!! The food was superb and i would travel back in a heartbeat for Chef's chocolate cake. Breakfast was good for the money we paid. If you want luxury and gourmet eating then be prepared to pay for it. I wouldn't hesitate to return and i wish the owners of The Lawns all the success in the world - you deserve it!

Room Tip: Chill out and enjoy a bargain break!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jo V
Lawns C, General Manager at Lawns Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for such positive feedback!

I'm pleased to hear you had such a wonderful time, and that you might be returning to us in the future.

I will pass your feedback to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again very soon!
uk
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Loffi what did you expect,
rooms small yes, pub/restaurant/hotel yes, popular with locals, must be because its good? Food rubbish, no. Cereal and a full English er its the UK thats what we have.
Too much salt? Did you ask to have it changed I love salt (its good for you, mind not if you have high BP, (even then I dont believe that) which it sounds like you might....)
Its a B&B yes in a village but also a modern village near a main road, but was convenient, clean, friendly and popular. Oh and cheap!

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room?
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lawns C, General Manager at Lawns Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for a positive review, and for pointing out our positive points.

Whilst we are a busy establishment we do strive to deliver the best experience for each and everyone of our customers, locals and new visitors alike.

As always we will always try to fulfil any request or requirements a guest has.

We look forward to seeing you again at the lawns.
uk
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Recently returned from a 2 night groopon deal for the lawns.
The lawns hotel should really make it clear it is a pub/restaurant with a few rooms. When we arrived there was literally nowhere to park. We were advised to park at the local coop or on the road, neither of which was what i wanted to do. I would suggest a handful of bays for guests would be beneficial as it is far from ideal to be advised to park elsewhere when staying.
As expected we were allocated the smallest of rooms, which on a plus was nice and clean. The room was overlooking the front of the pub which due to sunny weather had attracted a loud noisy crowd many of whom were smoking, which came into the room. The double glazing in the room was effective although hardly what you want to do when it is boiling hot, we thought that the glazing would be our saving grace until either side of us returned to their rooms at god knows what time – you could hear everything – need i say more !!!!.
Breakfast was equally disappointing – cornflakes or rice crispies, orange juice, no other choice, no fruit, yoghurt, nothing – i can honesty say that i have never stayed anywhere which has not offered a piece of fruit on a morning (the recommendation is now 7 a day guys !). The cooked breakfast had the saltiest scrambled egg ever cooked if the chef had not dropped the salt shaker then i can only assume the life expectancy of the area is around 35 – it was literally heart stopping.

Room Tip: room 4 looked more spacious and was away from the front area and did not have direct neighbours so m...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank loffi
Lawns C, Owner at Lawns Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Sir / Madam

Firstly, I would like to express how saddened I am that your stay did not meet your expectations.
Here, at The Lawns Hotel my company’s ethos is good quality at a fair price. I still believe that (be it a small, clean, well decorated and presented room) to include breakfast, a cream tea for two and the rooms for £49 inclusive of VAT is a fair price.

As you mentioned we are a very busy hotel with our bar and restaurant being visited by guests staying in the rooms as well as locals alike. This I feel to be another example of how prices are correct and fair. As you also mentioned all our food is prepared by chefs and cooked to order. I know if you had asked for your breakfast to be remade with less or no salt being added my staff would have understandably obliged.

Had it been bought to our attention that smoke from other patrons outside your room was disturbing you; we did have two other rooms available on the back of the building which we would have happily moved you to. Most of our guests prefer to be on the front of the building as the rooms are in direct sunlight in the evenings. Granted the temperature is not usually as high as this past weekend.
As a professional and someone who takes great pride in providing the best service I can to all my customers, I strongly feel that all of your complaints could have been resolved if we were made aware.

I hope I speak for all people who work within the customer service industry, that we want your stay to be as enjoyable as possible and any issues that may arise are dealt with promptly, as not to taint your experience. Thank you for your comments; we take all feedback as an opportunity to improve.

Kind Regards
Charles Lindsay
Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Derby
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Aston Court Hotel
Aston Court Hotel
#16 of 29 in Derby
Travelodge Derby Pride Park

Been to Lawns Hotel? Share your experiences!