“great hotel with shopping on doorstep”

Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Derby
London,England
“great hotel with shopping on doorstep”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

we stayed in this hotel in December 2010, but only just got around to reviewing now. The hotel was virtually brand new and had that wonderful new carpet/decor smell. We were a family with two young children and took an interjoining room, which was a must for us with such young children. These rooms are not available in many other hotels and make all the difference to us as we can have independence without waking kids but also the security of leaving the door between us open when sleeping.
The hotel is briliiantly situated if you want to shop shop shop! it is on the doorstep of the Westfield shopping centre. The only slight snag was the parking which is not onsite but a 2 minute walk up the road in a public car park.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Dear Guest

I am glad that you have found the time to complete a Trip Advisor review after your initial visit nearly a year ago. You did visit within the first month of us opening; and I can confirm that the Hotel as it is coming up to its one year anniversary tomorrow, is the exact high standard product that you initially saw.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again; if only so that you can do some Christmas shopping in the Westfield Centre next door!

Carrie-Louise Darby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2011

This hotel is a nice modern hotel with a good location, modern interior and comfortable bedrooms with lcd tv. There are positives and negatives to this hotel when you compare it with the Hampton by Hilton next door to it. The Hampton provide free breakfast, the Holiday Inn you have to pay for breakfast. The Holiday Inn has a small fridge in the room which comes in handy, the Hampton has no fridge. Both hotels have a small gym, but Hamptons is slightly better. The Holiday Inn has a green LED bulb underneath the sink in the bathroom, to me this is a nice extra touch as at night time when going to the bathroom it is easy on the eyes. The Internet is free at the Hampton, the Internet is £3 (I think) at the Holiday Inn. There are more front desk staff at the Hampton when checking out and are effecient, sometimes when checking out of Holiday Inn you could have a long wait, as they are short staffed. You can buy takeaways and eat your food in the Hampton Inn and use their cutlery, in Holiday Inn they have their own restaurant (available to Hampton Inn Guests). Both hotels have their good and bad points, but if I was to choose one, I would choose the Hampton. Hampton Inn is slightly cheaper than holiday inn.

Room Tip: Choose a riverside room, the bus station side is noisy.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank SukyB
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing the Trip Advisor Review.

I appreciate all of the comparisons you have made between ourselves and the Hampton; which are mainly the reflection of the Holiday Inn being a four star, whilst the Hampton is a three star offering.

Our rates are always competitive to ensure that we offer value for money.

Staffordshire, UK
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Stayed here on a friday night to go out on the town at night and spend the next day shopping at westfield. Paid £65 for the executive suite which was ment to be £130 so it was a bargin. The room was massive and it had everything in there. Was really clean and comfortable too. The bed was huge, soft and very bouncy. the hotel was very modern and I enjoyed it.

Would definatly stop here again in the future, the only downside was the car parking as there is no dedicated park for the hotel, you get a discount ticket for the westfield centre.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Guests

Thank you for leaving your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted with your comments, and glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Hopefully, we will welcome you to back to the hotel again soon.

London, England
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I stayed here 3 times on business in 2011, each time for more than 3 days and every time on the second floor.
The rooms were clean, spacious and had a flatscreen tv and tea/coffee facilities, but as the hotel is on the main road, front facing rooms can be a bit noisy.
The hotel has a mini-gym on the second floor, which is free to use, and has a cycle, treadmill, cross-trainer and a selection of resistance weight machines, as well as free weights.
The restaurant (on the top floor) is contemporary and stylish, and the food is good. I ordered the same dish on two separate occasions and there was a marked difference in quality, so it may be pot-luck as to whether you get the better chef.
If you want breakfast, make sure you ask reception for vouchers when you check-in. The breakfast choice was excellent, with everything from full-english to pastries, fruits and cereals.

One other tip. If you want to dine out and like Indian food, you must visit Anoki - simply the best Indian food I have ever had.
There is no parking at the hotel, but there is a multi-storey car park opposite and reception will validate your parking for a £3 charge.

Room Tip: Choose away from the front of the building
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor review following your recent stay with us.

We appreciate all comments from our guests as they inspire us to continue to exceed our customers expectations.

I can assure you that your comments regarding the consistency of the food offering will be addressed with our Head Chef, as he is very passionate about his food and this is shown in the support from his team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on another occasion.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel one night, the room was modern and ok but to sleep in that bed was another thing. We pulled the bottom cover away and noticed that the bed was dipping in the middle, we looked underneath the bed only to find the bed was broken. The next morning we approached the very sour faced receptionist and she said "oh ime sorry" and still proceeded to take our payment. In otherwords "put up or shut up attitude" I told her we was not happy and £85.00 is very expensive considering our sleep was terrible. She told us there was nothing she could do and i would have to write to the general manager. So ... we emailed the general manager - she never replied, so we emailed customer services at the holiday inn head office, the reply came back we are sorry for your bad nights stay and we will ensure your comments are passed on and we hope you stay with us again. There was no mention of our money being returned. I also agree with other comments about the restaurant, especially the breakfast, firstly you have chief hiyawatha who stands at the end waving orders at her staff, a very offensive women, she seems to treat her staff like animals. Wouldnt mind but the breakfast isnt that good, the cold meats were curled up at the edges. We was constantly being pestered by waitresses wanting to take our plates and was never even asked if we had finished with them. I dont blame the staff though i think there scared of this chief hiyawatha who is constantly on their back. We was extremely dissapointed with our stay it is NOT worth the money, the reception staff are very unapproachable and the head office frankly could not give a damm. The hilton next door is so very different so if you are looking for a hotel in the city go to the hilton and give the holiday inn a miss because there attitude is put up and shut up

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizzy232273
IHGCare, other at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 29 October 2011
Dear Lizzy232273,

Brenda J.
IHGCare
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Recent 2 night stay booked through a central reservation line was not particularly enjoyable and I cannot see how this hotel can charge what it does for what it offers when there are other hotels in Derby that in 4 years have never prompted me to comment.

This hotel is up there for its modern finish in the room is very smart, its a good size and not cramped, good detail to the finish. TV, coffee making facilities, smart bathroom with a mirror that de-mists itself so you can shave, the room, restaurant and gym were also very clean but I would expect that for £115 a night.

What you also get are extras that maybe you don't want.

If you are expecting a warm shower then be warned. Both mornings I was met with tepid to cool water. Certainty not pleasant. I tried the water over a 30 mins period just to see if it was a case of everyone in the hotel washing at once with no success. The receptionists, whilst apologised did not seem surprised when I mentioned this on both mornings so this did not appear a one off nor was I the only guest when I asked other guests. Reading another review here, this issue seems to be on going. I suggest adding a written notice at reception to inform guests of this mater before they try to take a shower. It at least sets people expectations.

My chamber maid left the window to the room open all day, so that when I returned it was rather cold. As the air con makes such a loud noise I had to turn it off so I could get some sleep.

If you do want to stay here, ask for a room on any side other than the bus station. The first buses start about 5am, their diesel engines are not quite.

I got a twin room, this is all that was left. Apparently I was told they could not guarantee a double room when I booked, I do not recall being told about this and my booking does not have this in writing I cannot understand why I would have continued with a booking in a hotel that did not have what I had asked for, this is also a requirement on my IGH reward account and AMEX account. The receptionist told me that I had booked through a central team and this was the reason. The hotel is part of the IGH group therefore I look at this as a brand, not an independent hotel. As I arrived after 4pm and had apparently been told that my request for a double bed was not guaranteed I could not cancel and go else where without having to pay for the room / cancellation. The hotel could not actually show me proof that I had been told about this issue, and my copy of the paperwork was through the central office and was very limited in its data. The receptionist did ring the express hotel on my request to check their availability but I would still have had to have paid a fee if I moved. Even if the hotel does not consider this their issue directly as I do understand that if there are no free rooms then they cannot magic me a bed, they are representing their brand and an apology sometimes is just not enough. Other brands offer free dinners or breakfasts etc.

I ate at the restaurant for dinner on a one night and breakfast both mornings. No coffee was offered on the first morning and a poor selection of non traditional English breakfast items was presented, however on the second morning things were vastly improved and the staff were more numerous and attentive. Dinner was acceptable and very prompt.

I expected more for the price from this hotel. Aesthetically it is pleasing, it is smart and staff are polite, but appearances alone do not make a hotel. What is actually rather funny is that from the restaurant I could see a hotel that has never given me reason to complain, even if its not finished to the same high standard.

Fix the shower temperature and ask the central office to communicate the type of room that can be expected in writing then this hotel will be getting a better review. It is finished to a high standard.

Room Tip: Not on the bus station side
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave H
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your recent experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the room format may have caused you.

It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotels and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

UK
Reviewed 9 October 2011

This hotel is in the middle of Derby and as other reviewers have pointed out the hotel does not have car park on site. However, the Riverside Westfield car park is close by and the hotel has an arrangement for discounted parking. If you have luggage try to drop this at the hotel before you park! The distance to the hotel may not be far but I suspect some would find carrying (or pulling) their luggage a bit of a struggle.

I arrived mid evening and there was one person on the reception desk who was quick to allocate my room. Noticing that I had Platinum Membership she kindly offered an upgrade to an executive smoking room which I declined given I don't smoke. I found it odd that such a new hotel would offer smoking rooms. That said, the upgrade for Platinum Members is subject to availability. I had arrived straight from a trip in the USA where I had been staying at other IHG properties and I was surprised at the difference in the welcome at this hotel; it was cold and functional. I had booked a business package that included parking and wifi but I had to ask the receptionist for the wifi password.

The room was very clean with a smart bathroom and I enjoyed a good night's sleep. On checking out the following morning I explained that I was heading for a meeting in the city centre and that I wanted to leave my car at Westfield. The receptionist validated my parking ticket and told me that I would have until midnight to leave the car park. This was great as it meant I did not have to return to have the ticket validated.

The reception to the hotel is very small and there were a few people waiting on taxi cabs. Unfortunately, traffic in the centre moves slowly and it turned out their pre booked cabs were stuck in traffic.

Overall this is a good hotel but I think the staff let it down by not making an effort to engage with guests. I'm due back in Derby in a month's time but will try a different hotel for that trip.

Room Tip: If you don't want to overlook the bus station ask for a room which faces the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank WB3
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete your recent Trip Advisor Review.

Your comments were certainly welcomed and will be discussed with the team. With regard to the staff being more welcoming, this is certainly something which I would expect from my team and will act on your comments.

We do hope that you will chose to stay with us again in the future.