"Get the Party Started" from the Christmas Party Nights choice, £24.95pp for a 3-course Christmas meal, and entertainment from Resident DJ. The worst ever Christmas Party night:
The setting looked fantastic, right in the centre of Derby for easy commuting for my party of 18. Upon entry the modern and well lit building presented an inviting atmosphere for a good evening, apart from the rather extortionately priced bar, but then again it is Christmas so we come to expect inflated bar prices.
Then the evening just got worse as we entered the room for our venue. Seven tables of nine all well presented, but we did not expect to have to endure the awful music not just during our meal, but throughout the night. The “Resident DJ” must most certainly be the worse I have encountered…ever! For a Christmas Party, I only counted 4 Christmas related songs all evening. The choice of music was so bad, people were sitting at their tables laughing in disbelief at the awful selection of songs, rather than enjoying themselves.
The meal was served by polite waitresses, who managed to serve the 63 guests in quite good time. Starter of Smoked Duck – good. Main course of Turkey Roulade, with roast potatoes, carrots, parsnip, and brussel sprouts, and a splash of gravy: very poor. The three very small rolls of Turkey were disappointing, with the less than el-dente carrots and Brussels which were barely cooked at all, needed some gravy to help eat then with. Sadly most of our table had finished the main course by the time we were offered any extra servings of gravy. And so on to the desert; my Christmas Pudding arrived in a pool of custard, so I and a colleague asked to have one with no custard on it. We waited and waited and when all my table had finished their dessert, our Christmas puddings arrived. Having been microwaved to destruction. I found some in the centre of the very small pudding that was edible, but the remainder was sent back to the kitchen.
The whole night made us laugh, but through disbelief at how bad it all was not through enjoyment, which goes to explain why many of the guests left before 10.00pm, rather that the expected end of 1.00am.
If you want to book a Christmas meal and evening out, DO NOT waste your money on Holiday Inn at Derby Riverlights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Derby-Riverlights is situated next to the Westfield Derby shopping centre in the heart of the city. Derby bus station is next door and we're a 10-minute walk from Derby Midlands rail station. Flights touch down at East Midlands Airport, 14 miles away. You'll feel relaxed when you step off the bustling street and into our sleek Lobby, with its 4-story glass atrium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Superbreak UK, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights Hotel Derby
- Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights Derbyshire