“Fantastic staff! Great hotel of this type.”

Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Derby
fifeshire
“Fantastic staff! Great hotel of this type.”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Arrived late as part of a large group and were not expecting the excellent responses from all the staff we encountered from check in until we left the next day. The guy at reception went out of his way to juggle rooms to arrange inter connecting ones for us and our youngest daughter. The bar and restaurant staff were also really nice and went the extra mile to serve us a meal despite the very late arrival. Breakfast was a delight. Thanks to a great management and staff team for a brilliant visit.....

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank girlsunleashed
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your request for interconnecting rooms on arrival. I will be sure to pass your comments onto my team.

We hope that you would chose to stay with us again when you are next visiting Derby.

Carrie-Louise Holleran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I discovered this hotel whilst searching for accomodation close to the centre of Derby. I couldn't have asked for more. The location is superb, the hotel itself is fresh (only about 18 months old) and the standard of accomodation was better than expected. I usually expect Holiday Inn's to be better than Travelodge, but I don't expect much more. The room was huge (large standard Double) and the decor was immaculate. I am the kind of person who looks around a lot and tends to be critical of the standard of finish. The hotel left no room for criticism. Everything was just so. If I had to say anything negative, I would say that the breakfast was a bit lame. That said, it is a large chain hotel, not a 5-star boutique, so no worse than expected really. This is all that prevented me from rating this as a '5' (Excellent). Parking was a little bit of a pain, but once we figured it out, it was OK really. We parked in the Westfield Riverside car park (I think!), the hotel validate the ticket and you get time to shop the next day if required. If we visit Derby again, this will be a dead-cert for us.

1 Thank christianbeccy
Dear Guest

Thank you for your 'simply superb' review.

I am glad that you were pleasantly suprised by the hotel and the standard of the bedrooms. I will review our breakfast as we do adhere to Holiday Inn standards, however maybe there are some improvements which can be made within these.

Indeed as a City Centre hotel we do not have our own car park; however as you state, our residents can park in the Westfield Riverside and validate thier card at reception for £7 per night.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again when you are in Derby.

west midlands
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed here for one night in September. The room was large and very clean. We had problems with the TV but someone quickly came to sort it out when we reported it. Breakfast was excellent and plentiful and all staff were friendly, helpful and polite. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your pleasant stay with us recently.

I am glad that our Maintenance team reacted swiftly to your complaint and resolved the issue. The team pride themselves in being friendly and helpful, so I am glad that you recognised this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on another occasion.

West Midlands
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Excellent location for the city centre as it is right on the door step. My room was extremely spacious, modern & really comfy. You would think it had only just been decorated. All the staff were friendly and helpful. I never used the gym but i did have a look and again very clean with all up to date gym eqipment. I did however use the bar and again it looked like it had been newly refurbished. I can only say the cleaning time work really hard to keep it to such a high standard. I would reccomend anyone to stay at the hotel as you won't be disappointed. My partner and i are already planning our next trip.

1 Thank dors2004
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

The hotel will be 2 years old in December, and I think you will agree that the team have kept it looking pristine through thier cleanliness and care.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Derby.

Derby
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed here for one night with husband and another couple. Overnight stay, dinner and breakfast.
Hotel very central and right next to bus station.
Clean, bright and spacious. Large room with lovely bathroom, ironing board, iron, fridge for own use, tea and coffee facilities, hairdryer.
Food was excellent and the service was very good too.
Couple of negatives:
aircon in restaurant not working but they did provide us with a fan. Also aircon in our room was noisy. When we switched it off, there was still a noise which kept clicking on and off all night so sleep was disturbed.
Would definitely recommend if you are wanting/needing to stay in or near Derby.

Dear Guest

Thank you for completing your recent review.

I apologise that the air conditioning was not working or indeed noisy in your bedroom; it is a fault we are aware of and in the process of fixing.

I do hope that we have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel on a future occasion.

London UK
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Stayed here overnight in July whilst attending a meeting in Derby. The room was large, clean, bright, spacious and quietly situated overlooking the internal courtyard. Everything worked well, including excellent bathroom facilities and good shower, flat screen tv, empty fridge provided for your own use, comfortable bed - could not fault the facilities in any regard. We had drinks in the friendly bar area with panaramic views over the river, and a good dinner and lunch in the adjacent Italian restaurant. But what really made this hotel stand out was the quality and friendliness and helpfulness of the staff - all of them, but particularly the Reception people, who were very helpful over and above the norm at all times. For instance, on the train back to London I realised I had left my jacket in the restaurant, but a phone call to the Reception had people going to look for it, retrieving it safely for me and even posting it back to my home address for me. All in all I was extremely impressed with the whole experience and would certainly stay there again and recommend it to friends who may be visiting the area for any reason.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank LindaL.-7
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel on another occasion.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here with friends from Friday 17th of august until Monday the 20th. We needed a close by place to stay as we were at Alton towers for the weekend.
Check in was quick and easy, staff were very polite and friendly.
Upon entering the room we were amazed, rooms are lovely and very clean! Fresh towels bed made and room cleaned to perfection during our stay. The bathroom is lovely and modern, the room itself also! It was quite warm during our stay so we used the air con often which worked fine. The hotel itself always seemed really warm especially the corridor to get to your room and the bar area, was uncomfortable on occasions. My boyfriend and I did not manage to try the breakfast but our friends did who said it was good and had a lot of choice from hot full English breakfast options to cereals toast and yoghurts. Neither of us dined in for dinner so cannot comment in this. We did eat out in the casino next door to the hotel one night, we had starters and dinner for 4 people including 7 drinks in total which cost £50 which we all thought was an excellent price.
There's was a few nice places in the area to eat out and lots of pubs.
We did order room service one night in the hotel, I had a pizza primevera which was excellent as it was freshly baked and really tasty!
We used our sat nav to get us to the theme park, I read that someone said it took them 20 minutes to get there from the hotel but it took us 40 minutes both days to get there and the same back using the sat nav.
We got a great deal booking 3 nights in the hotel plus 2 days entry into the park so cannot complain about the 40 minute drive!
Overall the hotel was great and would definitely recommend this for others, if we were in the area again I would most certainty choose this hotel, we had a lovely stay!

• Stayed August 2012
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your postive review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your weekend stay with us. We are indeed the perfect location for days out in Derbyshire including a day trip to Alton Towers.

We do have an Italian inspired restaurant called Stresa on the 4th floor; which you may wish to dine in if you were to stay with us again. We do also offer accommodation and dinner packages in partnership with Genting Casino which may interest you.

Thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel on a future occasion.