“Great Value”

Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
“Great Value”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Check in & check out was very painless . Rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean . Had specified 2 smoking rooms and was delighted to get them . Hotel is situated perfectly for shopping , bars and places to dine out . Staff very friendly and obliging . Would have no hesitation in staying here on future trips to Derby and am more than happy to recommend it as a great place to stay .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The hotel’s city centre location was a real bonus, with all of the city's amenities close to hand, we parked up near by and didn’t use the car again until we left. The building is very modern, but the reception felt a little strange, almost cold, like a car showroom. The staff were friendly and wasted no time in getting us to our room. The room was very clean and had fresh bedding. With tea making, a TV and a modern fitted bathroom (with bath, nice to have a soak). A nice night's sleep followed. Then down for breakfast which is a self service, this is fine as I like to be left alone first thing. A choice of full English or just cereal if you want and as much tea or coffee as you can drink. If I’m ever back in Derby, I would try to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

A good clean hotel in the heart of the city. Parking is in the nearby public car park but we only had to pay the one fee for two nights stay. Breakfast was excellent. The only problem with the room was that it was a slightly odd shape and the tv was on a side wall. Staff were very helpful and in fact we found Derby to be a very friendly place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a brilliant city centre location, close to bars, shops, restaurants etc. The hotel doesn't have it's own parking facilities but there is parking at the shopping centre across the road which costs £7.00 for the night. We were checked in easily. All staff during our stay were friendly pleasant & helpful. We went to our room, it was very clean but we found that the bed was broken. We rang reception and we were given another room straight away. The hotel & room overall have a high level of cleanliness. The air con was a bit noisy. The bar is way too expensive (£15.80 for 4 bottles of Budweiser) so would advise bringing your own or going out. Breakfast was average.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank beth2719
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear beth2719,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

This is one of the finest city hotels I have ever stayed in. Perfect staff who went out of their way to ensure you have a wonderful time. Accommodating birthday requests too, fabulous executive suite rooms with orthopedic chairs and good sized flat screen TVs with plenty of channels. Highly recommend this hotel, you will not be dissapointed. Free wifi at all the rooms too and a huge bath, great for romantic couples!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank TravmackzA
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Firstly I have to admit that our stay was a prize so I can't comment on value for money. My husband and I travelled to Derby by train and, walking briskly, it took us 10 to 15 minutes to get to the hotel. The two hotel receptionists were friendly and welcoming and were keen to talk to us about the prize we had won and Derby Feste in general. Later they were able to point us in the right direction when we went out to look for Derby Feste events in the city. We went up to our bedroom on the 4th floor and found the room to be spotless. The bedlinen was clean and crisp and the towels were clean and fluffy. The hotel is only 2 or three years old and everything is still as new. The bathroom fittings were shiny, modern and sturdy and the tiles and grout were like brand new. The bed was very comfortable.
I generally don't sleep well when I'm away from home. I did notice that the bus station was directly below our room. The following morning I was a little annoyed to be woken by the distant beeping of reversing buses. I estimated the time to be about 5am. I walked to the window and pulled the curtain across to be greeted by blazing sunshine. I looked at my watch to be amazed that it was 8.30am. I had had a wonderful night of unbroken sleep. The fact that the curtains practically blacked out any light had helped this. We went down for breakfast. A young waiter asked for our name and room number and when he couldn't find either, he called his supervisor. When she couldn't find it either, she asked if we'd wandered in from a different hotel - I think she said 'Hamptons'. When we convinced her we'd just slept in this hotel, she tried to charge us £9.95 each for breakfast even though breakfast was included. After I'd dug out my confirmation email, all was sorted. Breakfast was generally very good. Just a few small niggles. The plates for the 'full-English' were stone-cold both mornings of our stay even though they were in the typical plate warmer found in hotels. We were offered coffee but no refills on either morning. On the first morning no one removed dirty plates from our table so be the time we'd finished our hearty breakfast, there was very little room left on our table. However, on the second morning dirty plates were removed as we went along. The cold meat selection both mornings looked a little 'tired and dried up.' The rest of the food was excellent though. I would love to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

I am a local guy who moved from Derby over 30 years ago. I found this hotel to be excellent, clean, good value for money and service was superb. The only negative was I found it difficult not to find the hotel, but where to park! I agree with other reviewers that the hotel needs to make it clearer on the web site. In saying that great value and central but if new to Derby the road system can be a puzzle.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business