“Gem in a rough patch” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Gem in a rough patch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here bank holiday Sunday quite unexpectedly as we actually booked the hampton by hilton just round the corner but made a swift swap to this hotel because we werent impressed with the hilton.

We were greeted very friendly at reception and a room was quickly sorted for us. On the way up to the room I already felt better in this hotel as it had a better vibe throughout it.

On entering our room I was very happy with the size and the ambiance of the room. Our stay was purely to relax, to order room service and unwind in our own company away from our busy lives and this is exactly what we got from the holiday inn.

Our room was no.240 which had a sort of courtyard view so it was perfectly acceptable for our stay as the previous hotel had the noise of the bus station below bursting through the window!

We ordered room service which was very tasty and came in the time the guy said it would and it was warm. My only comment would be that it would be good if they offered sauce with your meal eg ketchup/mayo. Home habbits die hard!

So we had a relaxing night and it felt fairly luxurious considering I wasnt overly impressed with what I saw from derby city centre but theres not much holiday inn can do about that lol.

If I had to return to Derby I would definately stay here but I think we will stick to our usual destinations next time, maybe a holiday inn though after our nice experience here!

P.s. my only critisism would be that it would be good if they had slightly bigger beds but hey im fussy as we have a king at home.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie C
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your recent review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us; and your comments will be shared with our teams to see how we can improve our overall service experience.

It's great to know that you will stay at a Holiday Inn based on your stay with us; and hopefully if you do come back to Derby that you will choose to stay with us again.

Carrie-Louise Holleran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on a last minute and unplanned trip to Derby.

The welcome and reception was efficient and friendly. The room was huge for a hotel of this type, and very well appointed. Our view was distinctly uninspiring, of a central quad which could do with some plants or features to brighten it up a little. The benefit to this location however was that on a Saturday night we were not at all disturbed by noise from the street and had an excellent night's sleep in the comfy bed.

Breakfast was great...the staff were very friendly and accommodating and there was a broad range of produce available even half an hour before breakfast shut (which often isn't the case).

We would definitely stay again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank llyurch
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

Your comments are much aprpeciated and will be shared with the team, who are always welcoming of feedback.

We do hope that if you have another unplanned trip to Derby in the future that you choose to stay with us again.

california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Based on the positive reviews and the hotel website, I had expected a much more upscaled and newer Holiday Inn.

While I had a prepaid reservation as a platinum member, I would get a decent room assignment. Instead I was given this interior room with the ugly view of the roof top. I immediately asked for a different room and was told the hotel was fully book, all 90 plus rooms. Funny we only saw about 10 people at breakfast and may be a handful of guests that we ran into in the main lobby.

The room itself was pretty nondescript, neither modern nor dated, just very odd decor. Bathtub in the bathroom seems like a thing of the past so it is very unusual. There is nothing worth writing about otherwise.

Would think twice about going back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dhlchung
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Good Morning

Thank you for your recent review.

We appreciate you sharing your comments with us.

It is unfortunate that you did not like the decor of the hotel, however this would be personal preference. We are very proud of the hotel as a modern hotel in a city centre location, the newest hotel in Derby.

All of our rooms have showers and baths to cater for guests individual requirements.

We do hope that you would choose to stay with us again should you need accommodation in Derby. We can always request a room with a Riverside view for you; and we have other facilities including Stresa, a modern and contemporary restaurant and a bar area with extensive views of Derby.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stay at Holiday Inn Dery Riverlights frequently and I found it is very convenient close to city center, shopping, Gym and restaurants. The customer services at Receptions and the Restuarant are excellent. Claire Moorey and Dave (Reception) are very helpful.

Room Tip: Look for the rooms with a good view of the city
Good Morning

Thank you very much for your great 5* review.

Your comments are much appreciated and are a great reflection of the dedication and commitment both Claire and Dave give to the hotel and our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on another occasion.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very distinctive and easy to find. The car park the hotel uses is conveniently within a couple of minutes walking distance. Check in was efficient and I soon arrived in my room. The room had good facilities including a safe, fridge and professional desk and chair with internet access. It was all spotlessly clean. The only downside was the view from the window was onto the internal courtyard, but as my stay was only one night it didn't really bother me. (I would recommend you ask for a room with a view over the city) I ate dinner in the hotels Italian restaurant, and this was a decent meal, if a little overpriced. Breakfast had a fair selection, however hot offerings could have been warmer. Staff were friendly throughout the stay. Overall a good hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Parcelie
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Regular guest at Riverlights and a big fan. Hotel is clean and comfortable with all the facilities you want for a business stay (including pretty well equipped gym) but what really makes the difference are the staff- always friendly and helpful.

1 Thank LukeTrigger
Krakow, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I travel a lot and spend a lot of my time in this hotel. The quality of services are constant and very good and the staff is just brilliant - especially Dave, the front of house any venue would wish to have - Very positive vibe and always helpful and unique brilliant personality!

I highly recommend this hotel if you're staying over in Derby. The rooms are very good in size, clean and very well equipped.

Oana

Room Tip: All rooms are standard and equally good.
1 Thank Georgie J