“Bitterly disappointing experience”

Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Arrived late on a Saturday night (about 23.30). The location of the hotel (slap bang next to a night club/casino?) immediately raised alarms which were completely justified as to rowdiness/drunks etc. upon checking in, was informed that I would need to park in a nearby multi storey and this is where my fun began. Whilst it was not too difficult to find the car park, getting back to the hotel proved eventful to say the least. In the middle of an unfamiliar city centre with gangs of drunken youths milling around I was unable to find the hotel, so I rang reception and gave my precise location (in relation to M&S and other large shops) only to be met by stunned silence by reception staf who were unable to tell me how to get back to the hotel. At this point I was verbally abused and physically threatened by a gang of 3 drunken yobs !
I had to resort to flagging down a taxi who returned me to the hotel in my understandably anxious state. It was now 00.30 and I was desperate to find my room and get some sleep. I entered my allocated bedroom only to find it unbearably hot, I have travelled all over the world and have not encountered a hotter room in 40 years. The air con was noisy and ineffectual but I seemed to drift off to sleep only to be woken on a regular basis by the noise of slamming doors, running of water/ flushing toiletS from other rooms. Meaningful sleep was impossible.

I went to breakfast in the morning totally knackered and I will never return.

Actually, the breakfast was OK.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simba2
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

I am disappointed to hear of your experieince outside of the hotel; I will certainly be sharing your comments with the management company for the car park, as it is a public car park and not one managed by ourselves; it is certainly not the impression that I would want any guest to have of their arrival at the hotel.

WIth regards to the air conditioning, I will be sure to have our maintenance team address the issue immediately.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Staff were all very happy to help and inform us of all the hotel facilities. There was breakfast buffet included which made this stay even better as the city centre was atleast 15-20 mins walk from the hotel, would have been a mission sorting breakfast!

Room Tip: We had a double bed and a sofa bed (almost the size of double bed) as well due to us travelling with...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kiran S
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The rooms were spotless and well-appointed. Appreciably more costly than the accommodation we had first looked at in the same general area, but very worth the difference. Excellent location to historical downtown, and close to the river garden walk. Complete quiet through the night and wifi 'hot spot' were greatly appreciated. Clerk David was knowledgable and most helpful, assisting us in so many ways, that he is the very reason we will return to this hotel and recommend it enthusiastically to friends who travel in this area. The half-price parking in the nearby car park made up for the lack of on-site parking. An overall most positive experience.

Room Tip: Northeast rooms have great wifi ! Very quiet for sleeping.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lauren S
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here often. Always clean, quiet and comfortable. Staff, especially front desk, really pleasant. Right in the centre so good for bars and restaurants. I would certainty recommend for both business and pleasure travel

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Here-my-am
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review.
With regard to your heading of 'not great for parking'; we do not have an onsite car park but we are able to recommend the Westfield Riverside Car Park a few minutes walk from the hotel and we offer 50% discount on the overnight charge.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here this last weekend and visited Alton Towers the next day which was around a 40 minute drive. The hotel was lovely, very clean and spacious. The staff at check in and breakfast were very helpful and prompt. The room was comfortable and clean. However was a little noisy when rooms nearby used the water supply. The breakfast had a good choice available. The parking is literally across the road from the hotel and is discounted to £7.50 per night and appeared to be very secure with pedestrian doors only opening if you had a parking ticket to swipe. Excellent choice for Alton Towers as the Ashbourne Travelodge, which is of lower quality, is now more expensive than here and does not include breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claireypopz
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed here for a family trip to Alton Towers. The hotel is spotless and is really well positioned for the town centre and for the theme park which is a straightforward 40 min drive through lovely countryside.

We paid £195 for two nights for 4 people and for that we got two rooms - the boys' rooms was massive with twin beds and connected with ours. As our kids are now a tween and a teen the extra space was wonderful. We also got breakfast and wifi included in the price.

The staff are really pleasant and helpful - Fiona and David at reception were really good on check in.

Only slight downside is there is no car park in the hotel so you need to drop off luggage in the loading bay outside, go and park in the shopping centre car park next door and then walk back. You get a discount on the cost - £7.50 instead of £15 but that does add to your costs. This is a bit of a faff and is the only reason I did not give the hotel a five star rating.

Overall I would recommend to any type of traveller, but the hotel is particularly suited for business trips.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kags2168
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your delightful 4 star review. We are glad that you had you had a great stay with us as your base for Alton Towers and that your children appreciated the added benefit of interconnecting rooms.

We do hope that you choose to stay with us again for your next trip to Alton Towers.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed one night, check in OK, checked in a little early which was good. Hotel nice, rooms decent size, quilts too small, shower more of a trickle but rooms had a bath too. Didn't have breakfast but it was £9.95 if you wanted it. Plenty of food places nearby. Carpark a ripoff at £15 a night. Overall a nice hotel regardless. Interconnecting rooms available.

• Stayed: June 2014