“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Derby
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel and I love eeverything and the staffs are lovely but the my room wasn't that clean so they lack of cleaning but I'm using this against them but if they can improve on that then this is a nice hotel which I will definitely come again maybe spend five night there

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Dayo F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights as a base for a couple of days at Alton Towers. Plenty of parking on arrival and main entrance to hotel is clean and welcoming. Easy check in and we were asked if we wanted rooms close together. We were a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teenagers so booked 2 rooms.

Rooms were big and clean, with air conditioning and mini fridge which was handy for storing our drinks. We had rooms 201 and 204. Second floor overlook the A38?( I think) noisy with the balcony doors open but fine with them closed. The doors were so hard to open that we didn't use the balcony but did note that there were no chairs out there. Our Rooms were generally well maintained, the handles did fall off two of the bedside tables when we tried to open the drawers and we couldn't get the heated tail rails to work but otherwise ok. Beds were huge but we all found them very uncomfortable even after utilising the extra pillows in the wardrobe.

An adequate Gym and pleasant sauna, steam pool and jacuzzi were a lovely way to relax. I was surprised at the pool which was a nice size with a seperate splash type area for younger children. Beware, it can get busy at times. Lockers and towels are provided and I found the area to never user friendly.

We booked a deal that included dinner on one night. We chose to have dinner on the first night of our stay at 7.30. Dinner was disappointing. At 7.15 we asked if we could takeout table but were told as they were busy and had just seated. Very large party, we would have to wait till 7.30. The resturant was about 1/4 full and they had just seated a party of 10!!!!!!!! After being seated at 7.30 we waited 25 minutes for our strarters and then 45 minutes for our mains. Our mains were all served minus the sides. 2 sides came out five minutes later and we had to remind hem about a third side( my daughters fries) by the time they arrived she had finished the rest of her main!!. Desert was a bit quicker to arrive but I took almost 2 hours in total. What we had was delicious, fresh and very tasty but it took so long it was ridiculous. My 16 yearly son enjoyed his food but did comment that he was still hungry when we left.

Fortunately breakfast is buffet style with a good selection of cooked English, cereals, pastries etc. the service we found polite and friendly. The only problem we found is that the staff ake your plate/bowel the very second you stop eating. As there were four of us we found this a bit annoying as someone was constantly coming over to whisk awat a glass or a bowel or plate. In the end I deliberately left food on my plate and held my fork although I was still eating. It was as though the waiter/waitress who collected the most dishes fastest was going to win a prize!!!!!!!

Efficiency, attitude and politeness of staff varied from day to day/ bar to bar. First barman was very friendly. He told us to find a seat and he wold bring drinks over to us. He did and also a nice little bowel of assorted nuts. Later in the day the lady behind the bar was less friendly, we took our own drinks to a table and had to wait for my daughters Starbucks iced frappacino...... She finally brought it to our table about 10 minutes later without so much as an apology.

Overall we were pleased, we would use this hotel again and would consider Menzies again when choosing hotels in other areas. I would not use then resturant again for diner and would not be tempted by the diner break again. Plenty of paces to eat in Mickleover which is 5 minute walk from the hotel. Alton towers was approximately 40 minute drive from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Johndon120
Evesham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We have only ever skirted the area around Derby, so we decided to have a couple of nights in the Mickleover Court Hotel. This is a modern establishment and has grown by adding extra rooms and a Spa facility. We didn't use the Spa but it seemed to be very popular.
The hotel room was very good indeed, with all good quality toiletries, towelling dressing gowns and slippers for use in the spa. Everything was clean and tidy throughout the Hotel and the exterior and car park well cared for.
Most of the staff we were in contact with were friendly and helpful, but there are "odd" exceptions, as in every establishment. Nothing to worry about though.
The food was good quality and seemed to be freshly prepared and well presented. A major plus for me was that fish dishes were available for breakfast at no extra charge. Well Done to Menzies!!

Room Tip: We chose a room in the "400's", which I believe are newer rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
David_Ideson, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review in relation to your stay with us here at Menzies Mickleover Court Hotel. We are pleased that your expectations of your accommodation were to your satisfaction.
It was pleasing to read your comments regarding your evening meal in our Brasserie Restaurant, experiencing good quality, freshly prepared and well presented food and that breakfast was a highlight of your stay with freshly cooked fish on offer with no additional cost! We strive to offer the very best customer experience and your comments will be passed onto my team.
Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mickleover Court in the very near future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have four overriding memories of Mickleover Court. Firstly, dinner and breakfast were beautiful. The food was excellent and the service was polite and attentive. Secondly, the room - although nicely furnished - was small. There wasn't much room between the bed and the window, on one side, and the wardrobe, on the other. Thirdly, I was only there for one night but both the gym and the restaurant had queues outside when they opened. Late! Finally, I stayed at this hotel because I needed to work in the evening. However I was unable to do this... because I couldn't get a wifi signal. Try as I might, it just wouldn't work. Eventually I gave up and went to the restaurant. Which, as I've already mentioned was (luckily) very nice.

Room Tip: Ask not to be in a room facing out onto the A38. The noise may be an issue unless you sleep heavily...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your “memories” in relation to your stay with us here at Menzies Mickleover Court Hotel.
Thank you for your positive feedback especially relating to the excellent food, polite and attentive service you received in our Brasserie Restaurant. Room sizes do vary throughout the hotel, but again I was pleased that you noted your accommodation was nicely furnished. I am unaware of our Brasserie Restaurant or Leisure Club opening late at any point, but will look into your comments regarding this and ensure that this is rectified for the future. I am also looking into the problems you encountered with Wifi access, the Wifi we offer is free of charge and is available throughout the hotel for hotel guests use, we do try and monitor to this to ensure that a positive service is offered which on this occasion did not happen and I would like to apologise for that fact.
Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mickleover Court in the very near future.

Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel in November 2012, one night from a Friday to Saturday. Check-in was quick, however on arrival to our bedroom we found out that we were given the wrong key. Having said that, after walking back to reception, it was sorted out promptly. The room was spacious, bed comfortable, the bathroom clean. We only had a quick dinner in the bar and that was tasty. Breakfast in the morning was very busy, as there were some wedding guests staying which meant a lot of people and the staff struggled to keep refilling the buffet.
We did not use the pool so cannot comment on that but seeing a lot of children in there one can assume that the weekends get very busy in there. Or maybe they were from the wedding party...
The hotel offers free parking which is great! Over all, a nice hotel and we would happily stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Oh Dear where to start?

We went to this hotel as a young couple through my business. On first look the hotel looked very impressive inside. We walked over to the reception area to check in to be greeted by 4 very judgey looking very young receptionists (younger than ourselves). We had an issue with the payment as my manager could not pay over the phone o the day of arrival which was annoying, so this was resolved by emailing a copy of the card, this was annoying but not the fault of the staff. However the way those staff talked to my other half and I was disgusting! They were patronising and non attentive and seemed to be talking about us when we went to sit down in the lounge to wait. We felt very uncomfortable instantly. Anyway once the payment was sorted wee were given the key and found it difficult to find our superior room, a lovely cleaning lady showed us to our room and explained some things about the hotel like breakfast etc which the reception staff failed to do. She was amazing and very friendly which allowed us to forget the original issues in reception for the time being...

We stayed the night and used the pool etc which was lovely, the hotel itself is very nice and the leisure club is nice too.

We went down for breakfast and the rude staffing continued. We were ignored throughout the whole breakfast service whilst older guests were constantly entertained by the staff. When we left there was no acknowledgement and no 'THANKS SIR'.

We were truly shocked!

We decided to speak to the duty manager in our disgust after breakfast and explained everything. He was very upset that this had been the case. We were offered a 50% discount and his deepest apologies. I also requested an update on what the result was of my complaint. He was very responsive and I was very impressed.

If you are a young couple I would re-think staying here! Although these ageist issues should be resolved now!

Room Tip: Newest superior are very nice in the newer part of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DCG2121
Firstly I would like to offer my apologises for what must have been a disappointing stay, and that your expectations were not fully met during your stay at the hotel. We do value customer feedback and take the issues you have raised extremely seriously. As you will know I have personally written to you outlining the issues that you have raised and would like to reassure you that they have now been fully investigated and resolved. On a plus point it was pleasing to read your positive comments relating to our Waves Leisure Club and overall very nice Hotel.
Please do not hesitate to contact me direct should you wish to discuss this matter further and look for to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Cleckheaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed Friday 19th for 2 nights on the B&B and 1 night dinner inclusive package which was very good value. Watch out though when checking out - we told the Receptionist when we arrived that we would like to take our inclusive meal on the Saturday which she said was ok but no notes were made and we were not asked to make a reservation. On check-out we were told the bar snacks we'd had on the Friday had been taken as the inclusive package as it is whatever meal is ordered first. This should have been pointed out but was quickly rectified. Check your bill!!! Others had been caught out by this too whilst we were checking out.
We stayed in room 215 which was on the small side with a very small double bed but a nice balcolny (needed some chairs!) to the front of the hotel.
All food was good and the drinks were the usual fare price wise for a hotel.
There was a wedding party on the first floor balcony of the bar on the Saturday afternoon which overlooked the main bar. This was not a problem apart from the photographer who stood by us shouting at family members up at the balcony so he could get his shot. Not very thoughtful when the rest of us were trying to relax!
The restaurant was very quiet on the Saturday night, We were asked if we'd booked and when we said no the waitress looked at the sheet of bookings and was scratching her head (there were hardly and bookings!). When we got seated it was a lovely meal with plenty of choices.
The pool and steam room were fabulous and it was very quiet on the Saturday afternoon.
So, some things to improve on but overall a good stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicwa1
Firstly my I say how pleasing it was to read your comments regarding what was an overall “Good Stay” and your thoughts on our “fabulous pool and steam room” and your “lovely meal with great choices”!
I understand that you had one or two difficulties at Reception on check out with regards to the dinner charges for the two night package. I understand that this issue was explained and dealt with promptly and efficiently by my receptionist on duty. You also noted that you had a problem in the Brasserie Restaurant regarding making a table reservation. I can assure you that this has been looked into and has been resolved.
Mickleover Court Hotel is as you can imagine a very popular venue for Weddings and events, however we do take all customer feedback very seriously and I have taken your comments on board regarding the use of the public areas for such events being held within the Hotel.
Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mickleover Court Hotel on your next stay with us in the very near future.