“Budget price, 5* service”

Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel last year after searching for a place to stay within an hour of Alton Towers. I previously stayed at a Travel lodge very close to the park and found it dreadful. I have always stayed in travel lodges in the past.
This hotel was similar price to the budget hotels £69 per room per night, but included dinner and breakfast.
When we arrived we were expecting 'cheap and cheerful', we were wrong! It is sumptuous and grand once you get past the dated exterior.
There is a spa and gym which you are free to use. The food is very good.
We saw the bill for our meal and drinks on our first night and it came to £92!!! But we didn't have to pay as it is included (not drinks).
I would recommend this hotel to everyone.
We are planning a trip to Thorpe park and are quite disappointed that there is not a Menzies close enough to it for us to stop over in.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Lumpss

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Although I had been past this Hotel many times before had never been in until my sister had her wedding reception here. This was a lovely event made special by the staff. Nothing was too much trouble and they did us all proud. Well done Menzies Hotels

Room Tip: sits right next to A38 ask for a room away from the road
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We booked this hotel as a base for going to Alton Towers. It was not so convenient from that perspective but then there isn't a lot of choice. From an access to Derby standpoint it is very convenient. Check in was very easy and check out was the fastest I have ever experienced. The staff were all very welcoming. The restaurant was a good size and the food choice and quality was also good. The twin room we used was comfortable but too warm (pillows were 'warm' as well) and we could not figure out the air conditioning ... we guessed the temperature setting may have been because of the relatively elderly client base that were staying. There was a lovely view over the countryside if you could ignore the dual carriageway, a road that could not be heard through the triple glazing but was very load when the window was opened to cool the room down. Bathroom was functional and the television and channel choice was as good as I've experienced in a hotel. Plus there's free wifi.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank po_2010
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had a good experience telephoning to book our weekend stay - explaining our need for a separate shower in the room. We were allocated a spacious standard suite which had a separate shower as promised and separate sitting room. Unfortunately the arm chairs and sofa 'dipped' in the middle - so not as comfortable as they looked - but still usable. A previous reviewer stated that the aircon was either 'on or off'. I wonder if they had noticed what we found by the door in our suite. A grey plastic unit by the entrance. This had a drop down and revealed the temperature as 21C - too cold for us which we could easily adjust up or down.

We were really pleased with the helpful attitude of the reception (no problem asking for help with our luggage), housekeeping, dining/bar staff and really enjoyed the quality of the food presented both for breakfast and evening meal. We had a chat with the lovely restaurant manager and it is clear a lot of local families use their facilities for special events - which I think speaks for itself about the quality of the food.

Our only problem was access to the swimming pool. One less than helpful member of staff informed me that the only way to access the pool was by a few steps (actually 6 down to the pool then another 6 into the pool!). Seeing a door at ground level by the pool window I asked if we could go round the outside and was told it was not possible due to various tanks etc. We tried and found we could by pass these. I later told the same assistant that we had found a way - good in good weather and his expression did not seem very encouraging!

Unfortunately the spa room, hairdresser, sauna steam rooms are up a flight of stairs so inaccessible for people with mobility issues - which is where the changing rooms are also located.

Despite the problems with the swimming pool we would definitely visit again due to the lovely atmosphere we felt from staff who seemed to enjoy working there.

Room Tip: ask for a room that does not face the nearby dual carriageway if you are sensitive to traffic noise...
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Shame a place can be so let down by a few little but utterly annoying things and staff. We booked a short break here, two nights B&B (room upgrade) with dinner on the first night through Hotel Exclusives for £132.05 with two glasses of fizz on arrival. Sounds like everything should get off to a wonderful start, but don’t be fooled. The reception staff had never heard of the deal, no fizz and had to ask for our upgrade. Then they wanted to charge us even thou we had pre-paid at the time of booking. They said they would check with their reservations manager in the morning and get back to us, this was the clueless reception manageress.
Room was adequate, big bed, tv ect ect all you’d expect from a four star, let down by a poor shower and air con that couldn’t be adjusted, just ON or OFF.
But still not put off. We headed into the nearby village for a stroll, a twenty minute leisurely stroll. There you’ll find a Tesco, two nice pubs and tea room. We had a drink in the Nags Head, nice alternative if you don’t fancy the prices in the hotel bar.
Now the dinner, a lovely menu and all inclusive, that is the stated items. Any other items are £2 for starters and £3 for mains. Very reasonable we thought. But as the all-inclusive options read so nicely we stuck to those. I had a lovely goat’s cheese bruschetta (thoughtfully advised it would take twenty minutes) worth the wait. My husband ordered the ham hock terrine, which arrived one step removed from frozen solid, and the bread was artic. Credit where its due, when we enquired if this was the correct temperature to serve it at we were told yes(???), but the bread should not be so cold so we were given room temperature bread.
The main course, another disaster and a meal of two halves. My husband ordered the battered fish, with chunky chips and a pea and mint mash. Lovely meal, hot, tasty and right the balance of pea and mint in the puree mash. But my choice unfortunately, a leek and red onion tart was as far removed from any tart I’ve made or eaten. It was a strip of unpuffed pastry, with a smear of onion relish/chutney and a sheet of leek and two wedges of cheese on top. You couldn’t cut it without risking the diners at the next table and as for appetising, even if I was starving I wouldn’t have persevered. Needless to say I sent it back. My alternative was pork belly on a bed of tasty red cabbage, perfectly acceptable but at this stage I just wanted to leave. The waitress offered to take my husband’s dinner and keep it warm while I waited for mine, just what fish and chips needs twenty minutes under a halogen bulb. So hence a main course of two halves, my husband ate his and I looked on and then he watched as I ate mine.
Pudding is pudding, and I’d like to say they got it spot on, but I can’t. Edible and sweet, but meringue is not Pavlova.
The wine was lovely, Chilean merlot and complimented to us as a result of such a disastrous meal.
Check out, like check in was a ridiculous affair. The same manageress as on arrival and equally unhelpful and unaware of the offer. She insisted that we were to pay as Hotel Exclusives were merely agents and she had personally contacted them the day before (conveniently couldn’t remember whom she had spoken with). So we paid, and were discounted £3 for the promised fizz, hate to think what carbonated trash it would have been at £1.50 a glass??? But unhappy we contacted Hotel Exclusives before leaving the car park and low and behold we had paid and the hotel should NOT have charged us. Hotel Exclusive said they would contact them straight away, which they did and we were refunded there and then. An apology, an explanation…don’t be silly. It seems retraining is in order across the board at Menzies Hotel Mickleover, from the kitchen to the reception.

1  Thank dentalnurse1
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Just come back from a weekend break at this hotel and have to say we really enjoyed it. First of all lots of parking spaces. Rooms nicely furnished, clean and comfortable. Swimming pool and spa were great. Food was excellent and staff were polite and friendly had a fab stay and would definitely come back.

1  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We found this to be a really good value hotel, excellent reception welcome, really professional waiting staff in the restaurant (especially the Spanish waiters) Food was good, awesome French onion soup. We used and enjoyed the pool - the only problem was that the bedding, (duvets, pillows and linens) were poor, and someone else in our party had the same problem in their room. On the whole, Menzies should invest in this place, give it a refresh in the decor and linens department - the excellent staff deserve it to do their work justice.

Room Tip: We were on the road side but found it quiet because of the double glazed doors so don't think th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family