“A great hotel”

Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Derby
SW UK
“A great hotel”
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Stayed at this hotel on a three day break with a group. An excellent place- staff very helpful- especially the Restaurant Manager- Mr S.V - he is brilliant at his job and should get a special mention! Thank you/

• Stayed July 2010
David_Ideson, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review following your recent stay here at the Mickleover Court Hotel, it was a pleasure to read such positive feedback and I have passed your kind comments onto all the team and more spcifically our Restaurant Manager. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future, if however, I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

David Ideson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
northampton
Reviewed 4 May 2010

This hotel was a relly nice hotel, it had a lovely swimming pool. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious. The food in the restaurant was of an excellent standard. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
David_Ideson, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court, responded to this review, 6 May 2010
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review, it was very kind. I was of course very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your comments to the team. I also hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon where I may have the opportunity to meet you personally.

London
Reviewed 16 April 2010

I was here for three days on a business trip. The hotel, like most chains, is fairly identikit in terms of its look and feel - it's clean, it's effective and it has a health suite/spa. The facilities are what you'd expect for business meetings and there were four or five different companies using the hotel for seminars and similar while I was there. The rooms are fine - plenty of space and adequately equipped. The air conditioning/heating unit is on the balcony which is one way to keep the noise down in the room, though none too succesful at that at dead of night.

Best bit ? The restaurant. The evening menu reads like typical chain hotel food but it is that bit better cooked and higher quality than most, and not over-priced. There's someone good working in the kitchen, and the waiting staff are very professional.

While this isn't necessarily a destination hotel it does what it does well.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
David_Ideson, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court, responded to this review, 4 May 2010
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I was pleased to read your kind comments regarding both the quality of the food and the service that you received in the restaurant. I will pass on your kind comments to the team and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

England
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We wanted to go to Derbyshire for a couple of nights, but the weather wasn't great, so we chose this hotel for its facilities as well as its position. Booked it on Laterooms for £200 and thought that was a fair deal, but then on the hotel website got it for £160 - a better deal - so cancelled our first booking. This was for a superior room, which we found wasn't huge, so the standard rooms must be pretty small. The hotel website doesn't make it clear what the differences are, but we got a fridge (unstocked), bathrobes, a/c and a sitting area to the side of the bed. No tissues, limited choice of channels and an old-style TV. The bed was comfy and the shower powerful, but the bathroom wasn't huge. Breakfast was included and was fine for a hotel breakfast, no surprises. We also ate in the Brasserie the first evening - a bit pricey for our budget at £50 for two mains, one starter and tea for one (wine on top was £17 - almost the cheapest on offer). However, the food was great - not big portions but attractively presented and tasting really good, so perhaps the price wasn't so bad. Finally, the leisure facilities - it's also a club for locals and the gym was a good size for a hotel gym. There was also a jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and pool - all very pleasant. The pool isn't a lane pool but it's not tiny and you could swim up and down if you wished. Changing room facilities were acceptable - not fancy but very clean. It all looked well- cared for and we enjoyed a couple of hours in there on our first rainy day. Would have been happy to visit the next day too.

It was really quiet when we visited midweek, because it was the week after Easter, but normally it's busier apparently, as it's a conference hotel. Usually weekends are the better times to visit if you're looking for good deals.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. With specific regards to your comments on the price of dinner, I am sorry that you felt the prices expensive and I would like to assure you that we constantly strive to offer great value for money. I would also like to assure you that we do consistently work to improve the hotels offering and we are hoping to upgrade our TV's as we have upgraded other areas within the hotel in the near future. I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon but if I can be of any assistance in the meantime please dont hesitate to conatct me..

essex, u.K
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Hotel was ok, but is listed as dog friendly. However, my dog was not allowed anywhere except the room! That isn't a dog friendly hotel. While I appreciate I cannot pull him up a chair in the restaurant and allow him to dine along side us, I did not expect to be told that he wasn't allowed ANYWHERE. I am always taking him to dog friendly hotels and he is allowed in the bar and lobby etc. Not here.
At 1am I woke up with a blinding headache (due to the extremely flat pillow). I went downstairs and asked for an orange juice. The reaction I rec'd was as if I'd requested an antelope omelette cooked by Gordon Ramsey. The late night guy scratched his head and seemed utterly put out. However, he did get the juices and was actually a very helpful man, but his initial reaction was quite unwelcoming.
On check out I encountered a surly girl, Laura, who seemed inconvenienced. After to-ing and fro-ing with the bill, she got quite chatty which was a shame as the first impressions she gave were not befitting of her actual personality. A smile would not go amiss here from the recpetion staff. We personally felt we were putting them out just by walking through the lobby. I wouldn't stay here again. Clientele was a bit rowdy too.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review following your recent stay. I was however very disappointed to read your feedback, as we certainly do not wish to disappoint any of our guests. I do take your comments most seriously and I have discussed them with the team to ensure that we can learn from our mistakes and improve for the future. I am also sorry I did not get the opportunity to meet you during your stay, as we would have been delighted to resolve any problems with you at the time.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope we can change your mind and welcome you back sometime in the future.

EYorkshire
Reviewed 30 March 2010

We chose this hotel following a visit to Alton Towers. Alton towers is a 40 min drive and 25 miles away. Probably further away than we had anticipated but We are pleased to have stayed there all the same. Staff friendly and helpful. I asked for an iron and a staff member promtly brought one up for me with an ironing board and asked if he could put it up for me. Rooms large and comfortable, the bed was enormous and pillows comfortable despite what other reviews say. Food great. Very good value. Swimming pool and spa facilities very relaxing and a great way to spend sunday morning with a small child.
Would return again without a doubt.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review following your recent stay, it is always very pleasing to read such positive feedback from a guests stay at the hotel and I have passed your comments onto all the team. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

denbighshire
Reviewed 28 March 2010

this is our third stay at a menzies hotel,previously(baron's court and strathallan) both superb.The food is excellent, just about everything here is faultless.We can't wait for our next trip to a menzies hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review following your recent stay here at the Mickleover Court Hotel, it was a pleasure to read such positive feedback and I have passed your comments onto all the team concerned. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future, if however, I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.