“Well Positioned for Visitors to Derby”

Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Well Positioned for Visitors to Derby”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Hotel is positioned across the road from rail station, buses and taxis abound. We arrived by train, but hotel does have a car park, but be aware it has new owners and persons have been caught out, apparently.
Entrance to hotel is impressive (as are the bedroom corridors).
Staff at reception are professional polite, and helpful.
Hotel Duty Managers were accommodating and listened to what you had to say. They were very busy but did give you the time.
On the other hand, breakfast staff do require some training and supervision, they not always knew what they were doing or how to do it.
Nothing continental about the breakfast, it is English. We found it very good, and it is eat all you want for £8+ (if booked ahead), £9+ if you don't.
Executive bedroom on 1st floor (£74 per night) was large, comfortable and clean, with large en-suite.
A visitor, earlier, commented on beds being too hard, we found ours was firm and wonderfully comfortable. No air con so fan provided. Ouside window, an extractor fan was attached to the building opposite so we kept window closed, it might be a pain in warm weather. My suggestion would be to book room facing rail station, rooms would be odd as opposed to even numbers, we were 148. Do remember there is a car park out there as well which may get noisy!
At weekends particularly, it is wise to choose your room carefully, hotel has many weddings and parties so it can get noisy, great though if you are `in the `party`.
Bar is comfortable, frenchman i/c was excellent and fun. Yes, a quality real ale would not go amiss. although relative to one's own pocket, I found the bar expensive, and the wine exceptionally so compared to local restaurants.
We did not have evening meal there, ate out at Anoki Indian restaurant around the corner. Eat at 5.30 and you get 2-4-1. Service and food was impeccable. Eat upstairs it is a beautiful room.
If you like pubs a must see and try is the Brunswick Arms, about 200yds from hotel. On route, note the railway workers terraced houses, especially the cul-de-sac, walk in and view.
Also, look up the Flowerpot pub. Great real ale pub with very impressive list of bands playing there.
The famous Roundhouse, (other side of rail station) is worth a visit. We indulged in the national winter ales fest there. Pride Park ground is on that side of the tracks as well. Rail staff do allow you to cross over on the walkway.

Room Tip: Room facing the rail station!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thanks for a great review, so pleased you had a good time with us, keep an eye on our website for so great offer coming up for spring. Hope to see you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed here whilst visiting family and chose the hotel as I was pleased with my previous visit and the location for the train station is excellent. I paid £99 for an executive double and an extra £8 for breakfast (I don't normally eat hotel breakfasts unless they're cooked to order, but there isn't anywhere nearby for breakfast except Costa in the station).

The good points:

- Friendly staff both at reception and in the restaurant
- Communal areas are well kept and nicely decorated
- The room was huge (too big for me, really!) - hence the title
- Big bathroom with separate shower and bath. The bath had a shower head attachment, enabling guests to wash their hair over the bath
- Free parking
- Despite the breakfast being buffet-style (as opposed to cooked to order), it was actually pretty nice. However, if there was a cafe or a McDonalds close by I would've opted for one of those as £8 is still pretty expensive for breakfast

Other points:

- I agree with the reviewer who mentioned how tightly the bedding is tucked into the bed and the lack of a duvet (blanket instead). I like to be able to pull up a duvet around my face, but despite yanking the blanket as hard as I could, it wouldn't budge. This did affect my comfort, but I still managed to get a good night's sleep
- I was in room 148, which overlooks the back of the hotel. There was some noise from the fan machinery on the roof, which wasn't too bad (I live in London so am accustomed to background noise at night), but if I'd have had the window open it would have been too noisy
- The room could have done with a touch-up - nothing huge, just some regrouting in the shower and removing stains from the bathroom window and shower cubicle
- The lady at reception who checked me out was having trouble with her computer and said 'I'm sorry, it's having a fit.' One of my family members has epilepsy and I'm quite sensitive to people using the phrase 'having a fit' as an idiom. I didn't say anything as obviously she wouldn't be aware of this, but perhaps a training point for staff could be raised in that staff should be careful about what they say around guests ('I'm sorry, my computer is playing up' would've been a better way of phrasing it).
- One of my pillow cases had a tear in it. Not the worst thing, but on par with my comment above about it needing a little refresh here and there

The hotel's location for the train station will always be a plus point, but on my next trip to Derby I will probably try somewhere different.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thanks for your review from your recent stay, I have spoken to the housekeeper about the bedding being quite tight on the beds we do this to give a sharp neat presentation. I have tried the bed's myself and whilst you have to hop out all the bedding can be easily loosened.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We quite enjoyed our stay in the Hallmark Midland Hotel. The hotel is an old railway hotel and with plenty of chandeliers the hotel got character and you still get a bit of a feel on how travel was done in the olden days. Nevertheless the rooms felt up to date. Breakfast was good and staff helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for a great review and a very comprehensive run down on the local restaurants and bars, we do have a good choice very close to the hotel.
Essex
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights for our usual visit to see friends in Derby. We have done most of the hotels in the town centre and this time we decided to use the Hallmark as we got a decent price per night.

Firstly the pluses. The car park was free, most of the other hotels in the near by area have extra cost so this was a very welcome relief and saved money instantly. The staff at reception and bar were very pleasant and it was noticeable that relationships had been nicely built with returning guests. The bar was cosy and the wireless internet seemed to work consistently. The location is right next to the train station and very close to the town centre and bus station.

The hotel can boast being close to some fine eateries, in particular Anoki where I have been a few times for the Indian cuisine and I have heard great things about the vineyard too.

The room has enough space and the bathroom is huge.

There aren't many negatives but unfortunately one of them is the bed. 2 nights and no sleep, this is down to the bedding and the mattress. The way the covers are tucked into the bed makes it feel like a mission to get comfortable. The sheets are wafer thin too, I much prefer the comfort of a duvet. But we had sheets and a blanket cover. Very uncomfortable.

The general noise was loud from transport and night life, room service shouting down the halls in the morning wasn't great either. The hotel decor does feel rather dated. Some may like the hotels feel but unfortunately I'm not one of them.

At the end of our stay we recognise if you get the room at a decent rate then it's worth it. But unfortunately there are better hotels in the town centre IMO and that's where we will return.

Still a decent hotel choice and worth giving a go.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review, I'm sorry if you could not get comfortable in the bedding, if you had let us know we perhaps could have helped in some way. I do hope you'll give us another chance when your in Derby next.
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was so disappointed with this hotel, the room in particular. My bedding was covered in stains, dirty carpets and walls. I sooo wish i booked into Premier Inn, i thought i would give Hallmark a try as the reviews were OK, god knows why! Avoid this hotel and stay elsewhere - you have been warned and you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 162 - avoid like the plague!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, I wasn't aware of any feedback from a guest like this, we do have duty manager on duty 24 hours a day and if there is a problem we will sort it out if given the opportunity.
We have a great Housekeeping team who always try to ensure the rooms and public areas are perfect.
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed at the hallmark hotel sat 15th, we picked a valentines day package and all I can say is it was well worth the money! AMAZING value, rooms, location and we couldn't fault the staff! So helpful and polite. Definitely will be returning!

• Stayed February 2014
What a great 5 star review, so pleased you had a great time with us, keep an eye on our website for some great offers coming up!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We booked through secret escapes for a weekend away, The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble. The afternoon tea was fantastic with lovely sandwiches and home made cakes. The room was clean and well appointed but looking a little tired hence a rating of 4 not 5. Would not hesitate to use again or recommend to friends and colleagues. Private parking at the back.

Room Tip: Our room cost £74 a night for B&B with complimentary bottle of wine in the room, afternoon tea o...
1 Thank John H
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thanks for a great review, so pleased you enjoyed your break with us.