“Nice Hotel friendly staff.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland

Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel friendly staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

SNight ayed two nights 1st & 2nd July a gift from our daughter on a buy a gift voucher that we upgraded.This was our first time in Derby and although not a fan the hotel was fine.Our introduction to the staff was a nice man in the carpark who helped us find a parking space he then offered to help with our luggage and went to reception and made sure our room was available even though we were over an hour early. We had room 270 which overlooked the roofing in the center of the hotel, it was a decent sized room with a bathroom up some stairs which was quite quirk. We too had a brown stain towel but we just popped it out the way as the towels were clean and fresh apart from that and any replacements were fine. We ate in the hotel the first night and had a lovely meal and the waitresses were attentive.We had breakfast on one morning which again was a good meal.All in all we found the hotel sufficient for our needs and was in a central location a taxi is really not needed to go to town as its a 10 min walk away.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thanks for your positive review, I was the man who helped in the car park when you arrived (the car park was packed that day!)
I'm so pleased you had a good stay with us and I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I recently attended a family wedding at The Hallmark Hotel in Derby and I must say I was very impressed. The hotel its self is lovely and a great venue for a wedding, the staff where exceptionally good, the service was great and the food was amazing. In particular I would like to thank the manager Nick who made sure that our wedding party was very well looked after.
I did not stay over at the hotel as I live locally but I will definitley be looking to go back there soon to enjoy a night away. I would recommend the hotel to anyone and can't wait to go back :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for a great 5 star review, I'm so pleased you enjoyed the wedding you attended, I have passed your positive comments on to Nick.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Hallmark Hotel (not to be confused with the Hallmark Inn) is a lovely hotel. We were visiting friends in Derby for the weekend and stayed here. HUGE rooms, ours had a view over the back garden. Even though there was a wedding in the hotel each night, it was relatively quiet at night. Breakfast - not included - was above average. The building was once the old railway hotel - they've kept some of the old features but updated it nicely. The staff were helpful and friendly good location too. Lots of pubs and good restaurants a short walk away.

3 Thank Anmarie B
Thank you so much for a great review, we do have a great team at the hotel who really want to ensure the guest have a great stay and I'm so pleased they delivered for you during your stay. I do hope we'll be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

my partner and I stayed for two nights attending a wedding, it all starts at reception with becky who was polite but not so good at her job, we had to ask what time breakfast was where it was what time it was. she failed to tell us that there was a wedding on that night and we would be right above it (feeling the floor vibrating with the music) the youngish guy prattling around in his suit (can only conclude he is some sort of manager ) was very cheesy, slimy,and a bit creepy and a bit over the top, not nice at all. then there is the rooms now at this price I expected a little better, there was not a clean mirror in the room/bathroom, dust every where, three coffee cup rings on the bed side table (which to add where two arms lengths away) hairs in and on the bed,(which had seen better days. the bed not the hairs). we asked for some clean towels as the one in the bathroom had a big brown stain on it, turns out all the towels must be stained as the replacement's had them to, you could hear people in the room above with every step a squeaking floor board. and then there is the staff, I can only say it looked like they all had lost £10 and found a penny ( but then if I was working under the half wit managers I would want to jump off a bridge as well) over all for what should be an upper class hotel it was a bit crap. and just to add if you want a taxi the yellow ones out side of the hotel are double the price of the ordinary car type ones (£4.30 into town against £2.50)

Room Tip: try a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, we take all feedback seriously from our guest, but I do not believe there is any need to derogatory about individuals who are here to look after you.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed Friday to Sunday. Got a good deal which included afternoon tea and tickets to Chatsworth house and gardens. Receptionist very polite and helpful. Manager very polite and friendly. Room was very big and bed comfy. Breakfast was very good but you are a little cramped in seating area. Drinks were expensive. We choose to eat out for evening meal as menu in hotel was expensive.plenty of restaurants down the road and do early bird offers. Derby shopping centre great and derby cathedral. 10min walk to town centre. Would go back again as was central for us.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your positive review, I am pleased you had a good stay with us and do hope we can welcome you back in the very near future.
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Just home after disappointing afternoon tea. Got our tea then had to wait over 25 minutes for the food to come- which we had to ask for! When I asked for plain scones instead of fruit was told to phone and request them next time. The 'home made cakes' were two cakes halved and one of them was a little sponge with fruit! The other was a very soggy tart with something like a creme anglaise! Service was awful and definitely not worth the money.

2 Thank CNMac
Sileby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed one night for business and paid for a single room. Overall for a one night stay I cannot complain. bed was comfortable enough to relax with a drink after work and the room was equipped with Freeview and Wifi.
Usually when I stay in Derby and select Single room, the bed is slightly bigger than a single but this was definitely a single, not slept in a bed this small since I was a child, But as I said thats what I paid for so all in all no big issue.

The room was clean and tidy and but not to the high standards their websites suggests. A little TLC is needed with the peeling wallpaper.
Tea and coffee facilities are available but I did think they were a little on the tight side with how much Milk, coffee ect that I was given. 2 small sachets of milk will not cover an evening cup of tea and a morning coffee.
I almost got the impression that as I paid for a single occupancy room, they were going to make damn sure I definitely stayed on my own. Didnt damped the day but for a supposedly 4 star hotel this was quite funny to see.

I cannot rate the food as I didn't eat hear but the menu and dining area did look very nice.

All in all a nice hotel. There are some other lovely hotels very close, rated at 3 stars with more bed space and equally nice rooms. I would say this was 3 star and not a 4 star but maybe the larger rooms fit the 4 star rating better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business