“fantastic choice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Derby
cambs
“fantastic choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

what a great hotel to stay in, it is rated as a 3* but gave 5* service, the staff were so friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble, close to the centre and right next to the station, i would reccommend this to anyone a truely great find. thank you to the staff for a relaxing. welcomimg stay,

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Louth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

I stayed here with 3 colleagues on business in Derby on 3rd & 4th August, and we were looking for somewhere reasonably priced for 2 nights - this must be the best value hotel in Derby!! We were greeted by friendly helpful staff who explained the hotel facilities to us & offered to look after our luggage while we enjoyed a drink in the garden. The rooms were very comfortable, spotlessly clean and had everything you need - tea/coffee/biscuits, iron & ironing board, hairdrier, trouser press, free wi-fi etc. Breakfast was great value, freshly cooked & plentiful. The staff could not do enough (especially the young man on breakfast both mornings) & were more than happy to recommend places to eat if you didn't want to eat in the hotel. We will be back in Derby in September and will not hesitate to use this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Valencia, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

The Staff were brilliant,friendly and helpful.
Everyone was so obliging.They did everything to make it like home from home.
The single room was a good size with a very clean bathroom.The towels were pure white and "fluffy".
I am unable to find any fault with my stay here.
Congratulations to all the Staff at Aston Court......Thankyou!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

We spent a night at this hotel and were pleasantly surprised not knowing what Derby had to offer. We were given a newly refurbished room with a four poster bed, newly tiled and fitted en-suite which was very clean and comfortable. The staff were really friendly and helpful and we were cooked a lovely evening meal after a long day travelling from Southampton by train. Next morning the staff were more than happy to organise a taxi to get us to Matlock, well done Smart Aston Court Hotel staff, you made things easy for us, we are an elderly couple and appreciated your kindness.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel was booked through a booking website and seemed to be a good deal at £84 for two nights. It is right outside the train station and also next to a massage parlour but neither one caused any disturbance at any time during our stay and we never even heard a single train announcement. On the side it says "Aston Hotel" but if you go around to the left of it to the entrance it says "Smart Aston Court Hotel" and the woman I asked at information in the station didn't know where I was asking for until she suddenly realised I wanted "Aston Court", (as she put it) so please understand that it does go by many names!

When I checked in, the young man behind the desk seemed to think I was staying for one night in a twin room but once we had sorted out that it was two nights in a double then he gave me my key card and I went to the room he directed me to. (The mistake wasn't a problem but if the hotel had been full, then it might not have been so simple to rectify!) However, when I opened the door it was made up as a twin room so I went back to reception, where the man apologised for the error and directed me to another room on the first floor. Opening the door I found it was totally dark and full of someone else's belongings, including underpants, bras, food and money! I called reception on the phone in the room and told the man that the room he sent me to was already occupied and he said he would come up to meet me, which he did. He told me that his boss had taken that room for himself but not bothered to change the status on the computer so he gave me the key to the next room in the corridor and I was very relieved to find it was in fact a double room. It was very nice, with a desk and a bathroom with a shower up a little step. The receptionist was mortified that the rooms he sent me to weren't any good and he apologised profusely which was nice to hear as so many members of staff don't seem to actually care about guests once they've checked them in.

We didn't go into the restaurant or the bar so I can't comment on those. There was a wedding one night but we only heard a couple of songs that were played very loudly, the rest of the time there was no extra noise at all.

It is a little way out of the town centre but 10 minutes walk gets you to the heart of the shopping areas and there are restaurants there that serve some very nice and varied food, along with a large Westfield mall. The street that the hotel is on isn't the nicest and there were a few people arguing outside of a pub at the end of it but it is quite well lit and pretty clean.

The lift in the hotel itself is small and very cramped. It has a door that you open to get in and has no natural light at all, so it's not suitable for those who don't like enclosed spaces but there are rooms on the ground floor which certainly would suit those who can't use the stairs though I don't know if it caters for wheelchair users.

Overall, it was a good place to stay and the problems we had on check in were due to someone not updating the computer and were not the receptionist's fault.

There was free wi-fi but it was so slow we used my own internet dongle which was much faster. In a wardrobe by the door there was an ironing board, an iron, coat hangers and extra pillows. The towels were massive and fluffy and the toiletries were very nice. There was also a trouser-press in the room and a switch to control the heated toel rail in the bathroom itself. The window looked out onto a roof but was easy to open from the inside and was lockable.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you take your bags up!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SnackyCracky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

I have stayed at the Aston court many times over the last few years and have always found it to be an excellent hotel. Although it might not look all that from the outside, the rooms are great, all en-suite, with modern furniture, windows which open (which is becoming rare in other hotels nowadays)' tea and coffee (and biscuits) supplied, and decent towels!! Large new flat screen TVs in every room, free wifi, free parking, and a restaurant (although I did not eat here it looks very nice). The local staff are great, very friendly, and are very knowledgable about the local area, public transport etc.
It is nice to stay in a hotel which does not conform to the bland travelodge/holiday inn model and this hotel provides a warm welcome and homely environment.

• Stayed May 2011
      Location
      Rooms
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

Had to find a last mintue place to bunk. Given I only paid £40 for the night I was expecting the worse. To my surprise, it wasn't all that "dodgy". The single room was small, however, the attached toilet was a little too cramped even for a small lad. I guess I can't compain too much paying only £40. Location is a bonus and service good.

• Stayed April 2011