“Great little find”
Review of Aston Court Hotel

Aston Court Hotel
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Booked this on an amazon deal tye day before we came away. Booking was easy, upon arrival receptionist was very helpful. Room was clean and well presented. Only downside it was a bit noisy there was some form of extractor fan that kept switching on every 10 mins. Breakfast was good if a little understocked on friday but ok. Didnt eat in the evening so cant comment on the evening meals.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
John R, General Manager at Aston Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Aston Court is a lovely, friendly hotel. We had a room on the first floor, which was a little noisy from passing traffic, although I am a light sleeper. When we stay again we will ask for a room at the back. Other than that, the room was newly refurbished, with tea and coffee facilities replenished daily, toiletries supplied and lovely fluffy white towels. Plenty of hot water and good shower. We had an afternoon tea which was beautifully served in the spacious lounge.

Plenty of choice at breakfast, hot and cold fare. Good selection of cereals, fruit and juices.

The staff were excellent - they couldn't do enough for us. A quiz was held on the Wednesday evening at a £1 a go including supper. Unfortunately we missed this because we had gone out for a meal, but we will make sure we ask about it next time.

Derby centre is an easy walk, especially along the river on a sunny morning.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back unless you are used to traffic noise or a heavy sleeper.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Wow! What a wonderful review to read, I am glad you found our hotel, location etc to be so perfect for your needs. The quiz night is held in our lounge bar every other Wednesday so hopefully if you stay again you will be able to take part.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Picked this hotel based on decent reviews - just wanted somewhere to sleep for one night as we were attending Download Festival nearby.

We were really disappointed to find that the room absolutely reeked of damp - it was worse than any student house I ever lived in, which is saying something as I spent a year living in a basement in Leeds! We arrived back so late (around 1am) that I didn't try complaining as the hotel was booked out, but in retrospect I wish I had. Upon leaving, all of our clothes stank of damp, which was pretty embarrassing as we were off to meet friends.

The room was under an extremely creaky and noisy staircase, and the nearby rooms also had very creaky wooden floors. The overall effect of people banging up and down stairs at all times of day and night meant neither of us slept at all, and I tend to rate being able to sleep as rather crucial when booking a hotel.

Other minor quibbles - the shower was either ridiculously hot or cold, and the room temperature fluctuated quite randomly during the night. I could have lived with these things, but the bed also felt damp (in addition to smelling of damp), and this really made for an uncomfortable night of lying there wishing I was somewhere less noisy, smelly and coldly wet.

You might think you'd get used to the smell of damp over the course of a night - but you really don't! Massive waste of £90 - last year we stayed at The Stuart Hotel around the corner and that was great - try booking in there instead!

I wanted to voice these complaints to the receptionist as I left, but she was on the phone and after standing for a few minutes waiting to be served, she gestured for me to hand over the key card, so I did as I had no idea how long we'd have to wait to speak with her.

Room Tip: Avoid room 102! if you are assigned this room I would recommend checking out of the hotel immediatel...
1  Thank Nads_31

I am really sorry to read that you had such an unpleasant stay with us, we did have a major leak on our ground floor early that week due to a guest leaving taps turned on, however I was lead to believe that all was good to go with the rooms along that corridor by the weekend. Please accept my sincere apologies and if you could contact myself (John Rowland) at the hotel I would be happy to discuss this further with you.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel was really clean,walls all fresh and no grubby scuff marks.Our room was not very big but had everything we needed and was spotless. The only downside was it was really warm and window only opened a few inches due to security issues. The cream tea was not good , fresh sandwiches but bought scones not fresh made. The breakfast was very good, plenty of fresh fruit,and cooked food.The staff was obliging especially Matthew on reception, for some reason the maids only leave 3 little milks on drinks tray first day I saw them and asked for more, second day they had finished when we got back but a word with Matthew brought more.Hotel is ideal for shops and city centre.

Room Tip: Back of hotel was very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I am pleased you found the staff very helpful during your stay with us especially Matthew, he is a valued member of our team and often gets a mention in our reviews because of his excellent customer service. The reception team do keep a supply of tea, coffee, milk etc at the front desk if extras are required.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This hotel is right opposite the station, so easy to find. The interior is better than the exterior, and the staff were friendly and helpful, although they did appear to be a bit short staffed during the evening of my stay and at breakfast. There is a small but nice patio / decked garden at the rear, and the car park was easy to find (back of the hotel down Park Street) It was good value for money and I paid £65 B&B through booking.com. The breakfast was the usual fare, hot and cold buffet, all very OK. The evening meal menu again was OK and certainly the prices compared favourably with other hotels.
However, and as mentioned in previous pots - the bedroom was exceptionally hot. A fan was a welcome addition, but really did little to dissipate the heat. As with other hotels (H&S?) the window only opened 3 inches, so there was no cool air coming in.Having said, I should imagine it is cosy on less hot days (which is more the case in the UK).
I will go back, but probably not until the autumn when the days are a bit cooler.

Room Tip: I had 211 which was quiet, but did overlook a flat roof, so hardly picturesque - but hey, I'm no...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us even though you did find it a little warm at times.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed here the weekend before Christmas to save the commute from Leicester to Derby. Very close to the train station and Westfield Shopping Centre.
The room was clean and comfortable. No issues at all and a great price. The single bed was slightly larger than a normal single which just added to the comfort after a long day. Shower gel and soap was also provided which was a bonus. Will stay again if another long shift calls.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you, I am happy to read that you found the hotel to be a good, value base to stay between your shifts at Christmas.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Great value as stayed on Wowcher deal. As others have said decoration is a little tired and needs to be freshened up but not too bad really. In room 212 on 1st floor so not only do we overlook the road we also overlook a pedestrian crossing so very noisy with window open.
Breakfast was good although no eggs or mushrooms when I got mine, sure it would have been rectified if I'd have mentioned it but has enough without.
Reception staff gave been great and would happily stay again if visiting Derby as it is in a great position.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments, I am happy to read that you would return again in the future.