“Patchy”

Mansion Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #65 of 634 Restaurants in Derby
Price range: US$6 - US$54
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in the centre of the vibrant city of Derby, Mansion Restaurant and Wine Bar caters to the increasingly selective local clientele, providing fabulous food and wine in a relaxed, stylish setting. Large and spacious, the airy bar-dining room is the perfect all day pick for chilled out lunches, romantic dinners or drinks with friends, food is served from 11am ���til late, with a 1am license meaning that your evening needn���t end abruptly before you���re ready. The brasserie menu here at Mansion offers a wide array of unpretentious dishes, ranging from the simplest of snacks to hearty all day breakfasts, picking platters and quick and easy sandwiches and jackets for speedy weekday lunches. However the more refined a la carte menu, overseen by talented chef Lisa Thorley, who trained in Buxton but learnt her trade in top London restaurants, is a focused selection of rich European modern classics made using seasonal and local ingredients wherever possible. Special events include ladies nights, themed music evenings and dances and Saturdays bring with them a decadent champagne breakfast.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Went for a lunch recently under a Groupon offer. Stood waiting for a table for 5 minutes before anyone approached us - it seemed that the two staff in the room each thought the other would find us a table.

A good choice of food on the offer menu and the starters, which appeared promptly were very good - particularly my mussels in a very creamy sauce. The main courses were another matter. My wife's risotto was excellent but my fish and chips not so. The chips were greasy and limp, particularly since they were under the fish in a basket. The batter on the fish was crisp but also oozing in fat (or oil) but when I got to the middle it was raw.

We were in a hurry and I couldn't wait for a second attempt to get it right so I finished off my wife's risotto and regretted I'd made the wrong choice. I showed the waitress the raw fish when she cleared the table and in all fairness she offered to replace it. She also came back and said the chef sent his apologies. Two minutes later the chef came out and personally served someone I assumed to be an owner - I'd have preferred that he came across and had a word with us.

So some good things to say but patchy food doesn't attract us back.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

As we were staying across the road we decided to give the Mansion a try, looking around the general area our expectations were not high...we were wrong.
The dining area is quite small but there was a great atmosphere, the staff really did go out of their way to be helpful (I really don't know where other comments on the staff at this restaurant come from) and the food was presented with style and tasted really nice.
One of the staff found us our own reserved booth after our meal which was a nice end to the night.
May not be in the main part of Derby nightlife but give it a try if you in Derby

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Went with few friends for a meal as we'd seen an offer for 3 courses at a very good price, we entered and were seated after giving our name for reservation, drinks order was taken and after a short while the friendly lady took our main order, the starter was disappointing as the menu indicated that the prawns were king prawns but it turned out to be prawns you get out of a packet, but the mains and dessert was spot on which made up for the disappointing starters, overall great service and amazing food as well as the presentation, would definitely recommend and will be back.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just when I was beginning to despair finding a decent restaurant in Derby city centre we came across the Mansion in Midland Road Derby.From the moment we walked through the door the service was excellent.Although the menu was not extensive there was enough choice.The food was all freshly cooked and well presented and tasted delicious.The chef certainly excelled himself.The live music was an added bonus.We had a wonderful evening and highly recommend this place.You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I had lunch here today. The food was brilliant (burger/steak), and the service was excellent - as always.
We'll be heading back there soon